Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Kids in The dining room coming on strong

Thomas' Kids in the dining room thread is coming up fast on the Carnival Father thread. Considering it's original posting date it is posting at a much more rapid pace than the carnival father post. I'm thinking we need a 100 and 200 post predication time for Thomas' post. Is anyoneone willing to go out on a limb and say Thomas' post will surpass the Carnival father post? (and if so , when). Go Thomas .
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2003, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Kids in The dining room coming on strong

I sense the motivation behind this jibe may be a desire to change the Cruise Gripes! board policy about burying old threads. That is, discussions should be ordered by date of first posting making it pointless to reply once topics disappear from the top of the list. This is the current procedure on the Chit-Chat board. It results in old topics being lost forever behind a steady stream of new ones. I think this would be a bad idea. Cruise Gripes! postings have more factual content than Chit-Chat postings, and it is often advantageous to resurrect previous material without having to quote it in a new thread.

Occasionally things do get out of hand, especially when banter creeps into long discussions. Perhaps such threads should be moved to a banter forum where they can descend into permanent obscurity, like topics of little consequence on the other boards.

Post Edited (08-11-03 17:24)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Kids in The dining room coming on strong

About a year ago the CM staff decided to change the format of the boards so that new replies to a thread bumped the thread heading back to the top of the page. This was done on all boards and some of the posters liked the change and others didn't. It was soon obvious in the Chit-Chat board we would then have one "Good Morning" post with 12,000 replies to it. This is why the Chit-Chat board was left in the old format.

Personally, I don't like these old threads resurfacing after they've been discussed to death. There's always somebody (thousands of visitors to the site) who reads through old messages and then has to respond. This then revitalizes the thread which should have had a normal life span.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I agree with Thomas; however, I think he and I are in the minority.

I believe PapaBill was being facetious and didn't intend to imply a protest of the thread-ordering system.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Now I know how Shakespeare would feel. Millions of words written about his interpretations and motivations and all he was really trying to do was tell a simple story.
Michelle , you know me all too well.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:42 AM
First Mate

I may have spoken strongly, but as a moderator on another board, I know the difficulty of keeping a discussion on-topic when replies begin to go off-topic. I don't know whether it was anyone's intention to kill the thread - although some openly expressed that wish - but encouraging banter leads to that result. The point is not whether you or I think a discussion is important and worthy of being continued, it is whether it has value to other readers. Judging from its size and longevity, that appears to be the case for Kids in the dining room.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

i think that the "right" idea was posted when it came to the "camp carnival" question- If its a "never-ending thread" with 100+ replies --Post it to the members , let us decide if its time for a thread to "die"
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Do keep in mind, the Kids in the Dining room thread has managed to stay reasonably productive and on target all along ,as opposed to the Carnival Father thread which had quickly deteriorated even in the beginning.
Old August 18th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Only once did I encounter gross table talk. An elderly woman had to describe one of her or her hubby's surgeries every night. Gall bladder, heart, cataract, etc. Yuck!

Jo ~ does not watch "Nip/Tuck"