Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Jim Munkittrick

Default My new rant....credits

Over on "other boards' the latet string of whining is over hurricanes and re-routing of ships. The posters seem to think that they have a right to an onboard credit or a full cruise credit or even a full refund if a hurricane interrupts their itinerary.
I have read over some of my past cruise documents and nowhere does it say "The cruise will give you anything you want if the weather is bad."
have we created a society that thinks that no matter what goes wrong that they have a right to have someone "pay" for their difficulties?
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: My new rant....credits

Hi Jim,
Some people will try to get something for "nothing" even though its spelled out in the cruise papers, go figure?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I agree with you Jim. It is spelled out in the documents what the cruiseline will do in the event of weather related changes.

But I think the passengers who are looking for something extra are a product of our business climate which developed these folks from childhood. We now expect a company to take returns on products as a matter of policy, when in fact a business is not required to take back a product and refund the customer's money. In good business practice, you do what will satisfy the customer. If you don't like that sweater, take it back to the store and get a refund. Don't like that hair dryer, take it back for a refund.

When people are raised with this idea that all businesses operate with a refund policy when the customer is unhappy, they naturally believe they are entitled to something when their cruise doesn't go off as planned.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

I´ve been reading about the same thing, Jim. What doesn´t want to go into my head is why people don´t read their documents or the so-called "fine print."

It starts off though far before that when one decides to book, doesn´t it? When I asked my TA about a cruise for Nov. ´05 she immediately warned me about hurricanes. She explained it in her own words, showed me in the brochure where the same info. was printed and explained it would be repeated again in my documents when I got them. She certainly covered her, and the cruise line´s, end.

When I´ve looked into deals online there has been absolutely no mention of hurricanes. Even emails had no mention until I finally received info. by mail that did. If I hadn´t taken the time to read the "fine print" (and boy do I mean fine!) then I would have missed that. But that is our responsibility as consumers to go through that end of it, too.

So, if I step on a cruise ship and experience an itinerary change due to weather, then that´s the chance I take. Heck, I´m quite happy that they are steering away from one of Mother Nature´s bad days!

karen
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

I totally agree, the cruise lines are not obligated to "give" the customers anything. They will do a shipboard credit or somesuch as a courtesy to foster good customer relations. The way i look at this one is you know you are cruising during hurricane season,don't you???and that's a calculated risk you Choose to take.Read the fine print on your cruise document.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Admiral

If you read some of the posts, the folks not only want credits, some want refunds. Some want even more than that. With the exception of missing one port I could care less about anyway, I haven't faced this issue personally yet so maybe I would feel somewhat differently if I did, but up until now," I don't get it". Do folks really want to sail directly int the storm? Do they really want to go to Bermuda 24 hours after the hurricane? Do they want someone to risk their life to get them ashore in bad weather at a tender port?
Severa years back my brother went on his honeymoon to Turks and Caicos. It rained for seven days. Should the hotel give him his money back? I don't get the credit thing either.
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:22 PM
First Mate

This may sound bizarre, but I would actually love to sail through a hurricane. I love the feel of heavy seas and experiencing the force of nature. I'd trade any port call - especially a boring Carribean one - for a good batten down the hatches type storm. OK, I might feel differently if I were susceptible to seasickness, but I've always enjoyed rough days at sea the best!

Regarding passenger complaints about itinerary changes - whether or not you believe in reading the fine print, you buy a cruise essentially 'as is'. Any compensation offered by the line for inconvenience or discomfort is a gesture of good will. They are free to offer credits, or not - and it is purely a business decision. Their legal behinds are well protected, so get rid of any misconceptions about refunds before you book passage.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Eric & Sandi

I'm with you tr cruiser.
My wife thinks I'm crazy but I like to go sit in the garage with the door open during strong thunderstorms
Eric
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Reon

Boy i get the impression everyone is talking about me??? and yes i did grow up in a society which places HIGH VALUE on CUSTOMER SERVICE i know no one was required to give me back my money (which i didnt ask for they offered) the only thing i wanted was to change my cruise for another sailing which i got. AND ONE MORE THING ON THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE WITHOUT IT MANY BUSINESS' WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS REAL QUICK END OF STORY PERIOD.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Reon...I think that you may have the wrong impression. I don't know who you are, so I can't even imagine how you would feel being singled out. Sounds like there was some flaming going on at the other board. I am sorry to see it enter into conversation here. As I was just lurking, and reading this thread; that was quite some explosion you had there!
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Yeoman

Yes customer service is on it's way out in some ways. And that is unfortunate. , BUT we had our cruise changed (during the cruise) because of Isador. We didn't get any credits or any refund. And we never expected anything. The "small print" does say they can change the itinerary without notice. Would you expect something if it was raining when you went ashore? Or if you left a port late? We were glad they changed things lst year. We were supposed to go to Progresso but instead headed to Free Port. I had heard negative things about Progresso so we didn't mind not going there.

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Passenger

we had our whole itinairy changed to San Francisco, Catalina, and ensenada befor we got on the boat and no they didnt call us befor hand like they say they will in the brochure i couldve packed warm clothes seeing and all i live 20mins from long beach.
Old October 9th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Gee, Reon - would you rather have sailed into TWO tropical storms? Then we could hear how the weather was terrible, the seas were rough, couldn't do any shore excursions because of the weather, etc.....and on and on. Not much choice when you change the itinerary on the west coast - either north or nowhere.

Old October 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Admiral

You guys who want to cruise into a hurricane are nuts!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Passenger

A few years back, family and I were on the way to Nassau during Bertha. On the REGAL EMPRESS. We left from NY city, 7 day trip. Heard every day the weather reports getting worse. Nassau would not let us into port there. So we turned around, and went to a port in SC. Unhappy? You bet! But, glad they were thinking about our safety first. People were jumping up and down complaining etc etc!!! We were given 100 dollars ship credit per person! Plus, 25 percent off for each person toward a future cruise. We were so happy about that. Others, sill complained the whole trip. We were always one step ahead of Berhta following us home.

Sometimes whatever people get, they will complain! We were glad we were safe!
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Reon; Were you doing the Mexican Riviera cruise? I'm on it the 18th, and I have been wondering what their options are if weather becomes a factor. If so, I'll pack an extra, cooler weather, item or two. I can understand your feelings. Going from exotic ports to local ones, does'nt make your shore time as much fun. Here is an arguement for being on a larger ship, it gives you more options with your sea time, if this happens. Perhaps their change in the itinerary happend so quickly, it made notification practically impossible. At least they made an honest attempt to help offset your loss. Still not a pleasant expereince though.
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Yeoman

As long as I'm not at work and I'm on a cruise who cares where we go. We just might get lucky and end up somewhere really alot nicer than planned. My dream cruise is New England/Canada so I would have been happy with the change from Bermuda. Possibly a little cool though, with the wrong clothes but we would have managed.
Old October 9th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Starfighter

I agree with you, Thomas. I was once caught in 30 to 40 foot seas off Okinawa and I can tell you we,all had to throw our underwear away when we returned to shore. Those stormchasers are nuts.
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: My new rant....credits

To Thomas,

Yes, call me crazy – and doubtless I deserve it. But there’s just something, both primal and exhilarating, about facing Mother Nature eyeball to eyeball. Standing at the front and facing Nature’s fury without flinching. Standing against Mother Nature with dignity and honour.

Hurricanes come and go in our lives. It’s how we deal with them that’s important. We can cower in our shelters and hope that they go away. Or we can stand and face them. We can run away, or we can do something else.

It’s with honour that the warriors face adversity. It’s with honour that they take on all comers. And the greater the challenge, the better they like it.

Bring them on. Let Mother Nature huff and puff. Let the hurricanes blow. I can think of no more honourable way to live one’s life than to face life’s adversities head-on.

Hurricanes – and indeed life itself -- may beat us, but they will never defeat us. And while the ladies in our lives may never understand this, in the final analysis, we lived our lives as we believed. We stood against the hurricanes with dignity and honour.

As crazy as it sounds, that’s how some view life’s challenges. Offered the choice, I must admit a grudging allegiance with those who plant their flags in the headwinds.

As to the cruiselines...........

I believe the real issue here is whether the cruiseline has control over the passenger’s concerns or not. Until the cruiselines have control over the weather, I can’t see how they should be liable for the formation and trajectories of hurricanes. Passengers who have grievences against cruiselines for weather-related concerns have cases without merit.

However, for passenger concerns regarding issues with which cruiselines have control over, such as any sort of ship-board issue, the passengers have every right to some sort of compensation.

The bottom line being if the cruiseline has control of the situation, then some sort of compensation is due the passengers to offset their inconvenience. If the circumstances are beyond the cruiseline’s control, then I cannot foresee a circumstance where the cruiseline should be liable for compensation.

That said, a smaller bit of customer service seems to go a long way toward a larger bit of customer satisfaction. And satisfied customers are always better than unsatisfied customers..........

Dean
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Passenger

i agree with some of you 100% i know the cruiseline had no obligation to refund my money (which i didnt get) but in the brochure it says they wil contact me in the event that something like this would happen. AND FOR THE RECORD IM GLAD I FOUND OUT BEFORE I GOT ON THE SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN BECAUSE AS CRAZY AS I MAY SOUND I PUT MY SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF MY FAMILY FIRST AND FOREMOST! but like i said i couldve packed something other than bikinis and shorts if i got a call at home! by the way i didnt get to the port until 3pm more than enough time to call me.
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

When I read about someone's desire or macho inclination to face up to a hurricane, it is my immediate impression that either: 1) the person has been through a hurricane and is now pulling my leg; 2) the person is sincere but has no idea of what a hurricane can do to lives & properties; or 3) said person has experienced a hurricane but is now living in the State of Dementia!

I have lived on the east coast of the U.S. for most of my life, from Rhode Island to Maryland to South Florida. I have survived a total of 12 hurricanes during my lifetime, including the unexpected New England storm in 1938 which killed 433 people in Rhode Island alone. And I witnessed the devastation in Homestead, Florida by Hurricane Andrew two days after it struck in 1992. Both of these were Category 5 storms, and both took place in the fourth week of September! Note: for anyone who has never experienced a big storm, I recommend a 2003 book by R. A. Scotti entitled "Sudden Sea", subtitled 'The Great Hurricane of 1938'. It will chill your bones, believe me.

My wife and I have taken 13 cruises thus far, with our 14th coming up in December. All but one (W. Med., Sept. 2001) have been to the Bahamas or the Caribbean, and all of those have been between the months of December and May. Am I afraid of running into a hurricane while cruising? You can bet your sweet bippy I am!! Will I ever cruise during the "storm months"? Take a guess. But to each his own. Just don't whine if things should go wrong.

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Post Edited (10-10-03 10:17)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
First Mate

In my case, the interest in seeing a hurricane doesn't stem from a macho inclination, but the feeling of amazement that comes from experiencing the uncontrolled force of nature. It's something I find awe inspiring rather than frightening. I witnessed two major storms in the '70s when I was living in Delaware and wondered what it would have been like to ride them out at sea.

It's not the danger that attracts me. I think that it would probably be safer during a hurricane to be on a large ship out to sea than on land near the coast. I guess it's the same urge that makes people want to chase tornadoes or observe volcanic eruptions from a safe distance. It give you a special appreciation of nature and a feeling of humility.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old October 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Jack, well said!! tr, I respect your philosophy.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old October 30th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Yeoman

You would have loved the QE2 crossing back in Nov. 1992. When I boarded in NYC I noticed a window boarded up, and when I asked a crew member what happened, it was unbelievable. The force of the sea was so great the baby grand piano was uprooted and went flying across the room. Everybody had to stay in their cabins the entire cruise, and dining room was closed. Many very ill passengers and crew. When I sailed to Southampton the sea was so calm I never felt the ship move once. You take your chances this time of year!

Smooth Sailing!

Carol
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM
Passenger

I understand about people thinking they are entitled to credits. The ship is moving for your safety and you are complaining?!?!?

I went on a two day cruise to nowhere and the "legal" requirement under the itinerary said, "itinerary subject to change." My mom and I thought that was hysterical... if you don't go nowhere, does that mean you go somewhere?

Took a family cruise and the private island was cancelled because of 30 foot swells. The family came running to my room, "Do we get any money back?!?!?" Nope, sorry! "Oh, ok, let's go party on deck." We saw it as a way to go home slowly instead of enduring another night of hurrying through 30 foot swells. Did not get our beach day, but it was a bonus for us!

It is a chance you take. But at least the ship can move whereas a land based vacation being hit by a hurricane means a cancelled trip altogether.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Wanting something for nothing has become the American way of life. That's why we pay such high insurance premiums and why we can't get affordable medical coverage and all manners of things such as that. People seem to believe that Customer Service means giving them everything they ask for with no regard to what those requests do to the company in question. No regard to how much they have to raise the prices to the masses to satisfy the demands of the few.

As has been stated here several times, the small print states quite clearly that the cruiseline has the right to change the itinerary for any reason. I don't believe it even states weather. Could be the political unrest in a specific country, could be weather but if it is in the best interests of the passenger and the ship it should be accepted with a minimum of complaints and unrest.

There are always those that believe they should get something for nothing but I'm not one of them. I just pay for the increasing need the cruiselines feel they have to keep those demanding people happy.

Solution as stated before, don't cruise during hurricane season. And if you must to get the really low cruise prices, then don't complain when things change just to keep you safe.

Carnival Glory
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to snowball

Don't people realize that the reason cruise prices are so low from September to November sailings is because it is during hurricane season? So they want to be able to cruise during the lowest priced time of the year, and still be guaranteed great weather and not have their itinerary changed at all?

I do not want to take the chance that my cruise will be affected by a hurricane - that is why I cruise in the spring. I still know that there are no guarantees, but my chances are significantly better.
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Captain

You know, I was on a cruise back in '99 that did just that ------ sailed right into a hurricane and continued along its path. And this wasn't "Joes Cruise Line", it was Royal Caribbean! From one who has lived through it, rerouting is much better.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Brennan Raab

While I did not experience a Hurricane, my wife and I returned from a Viking Crusie down the Rhine River where water levels were so low that we missed 60% of the cities. Unfortunatley, unlike the an ocean going ship, the river cruise boat does not have the "entertainement" of swimming pools, clubs, spas, etc. The entertainement is visitng each of the cities on the itinerary. However, We spent the day learning "Napkin Folding", I kid you not.

Should you get a refund for this. While low water levels are not Hurricanes, spontaneous events, they are an event that develop over a period of time, usually months, giving the crusie line plenty of time to make other arrangements. Which they failed to do.

Should we get a refund? Let me put it another way, it would be as if you had taken a 5 day Carribean Cruise, but could not leave the port for the first three days and you could not get off the ship during the same time period. Wouldn't you want a refund?
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Asealady

We were on the Regal Empress during tJuly with Bertha was brewing. We were on a 7day from NY city to Nassau. It would hit when we were going to arrive and Nassau wasnt letting any ships dock. We turned around and went to SC. But had to leave earlier.
Passengers were going mad that they didnt get to Nassau! They were awful! We were glad to be safe. We got 200 dollars a person toward another cruise. That was 800 for our family of 4. Plus, I think 100.00 a person shipboard credit.. We took that credit and went the next July the same week. I just dont understand some people's thinking and the nerve to complain or ask for refunds.