Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Default Thier RIGHTS versus your RIGHTS...my newest rant

Have you ever noticed that when someone posts:

"Dress code being ignored"
That the slobs of the world unite and condemn the poster for asking for simple standards?

"Saving deck chairs"
That Broomhilda from NYC rants about having to protect 83 chairs for her closest friends and relatives?

"Control your kids"
Seems to get replies like..hey, they are paying for the cruise too, shut up and let my little punks run wild"

or....

You can add your favorite here......

There once was a time that those with no manners and no standards would cringe when the light of day was cast upon their poor behavior, today they boast about it!
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:57 AM
p.g.

Default Re: Thier RIGHTS versus your RIGHTS...my newest rant

"slobs"
"Broomhilda"
"Little punks"

Very funny post, since when is name calling an example of " good manners"?
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:06 AM
DT61

Default Re: Re: Thier RIGHTS versus your RIGHTS...my newest rant

amen!
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:07 AM
First Mate

It is my rant...and besides....broomhilda is a very well respected cartoon character.
:-)
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:55 AM
p.g.

True this is a gripe board so will allow rant ; ) but I still protest " slob" and "little punks" insist we change to "snobs" and " massive drunks"
Old October 21st, 2003, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Effective immediately, I agree with p.g. on the word substitutions!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Admiral

TX your analogy was more appropriate : ) . A snob would not protest dressing up and kids being referred to as massive drunks....no, you hit the terms on the head, let them ride!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:43 PM
p.g.

Ummm, I don't think you quite got my point nusknakka, it wasn't the kids I was referring to, and on this board it seems there is only two camps when it comes to dress code the "snobs" versus the "slobs". Sorry you couldn't see the humor. there never seems to be a middle ground here, and people take stuff too seriously. Very sad, I must go drink now.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:59 PM
susanna

To pg

You have to remember that you have to be in the clique on this board for your comments to be taken seriously. These people only have one way to look at things, their way and if yours is not theirs forget it. I have decided that I probably will not cruise again based on the type of people and comments I have read on this board. Give me all inclusive in Mexico or Dominican Republic anytime. Everyone I have met there wants to have a good time, treats the staff with respect and do not expect everyone to be the perfect size or to wear sequins and tuxedos to dinner.

Don't get me wrong, on the eleven cruises I have taken so far I have enjoyed myself but I do find that the whole cruise experience has changed with the comments of some people who still think that the class system of the Titanic should exist. I believe that cruising has changed over the years so that more and more people can now enjoy the experience, however the snobbish attitude of the so called experienced cruisers have changed what should be a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday into one where you have to continually check that you are dressed appropriately, not overweight, not holding up the line at the buffet, tipping correctly etc. etc .. Far too much to think about on a vacation.

I know I am opening up a huge can of worms here but this is my observation and trust it will remain in the message boards so that maybe I can be convinced otherwise

Susannne
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:45 AM
p.g.

Hi Susanna, I would love to reply to your post more fully but it's 12;30 here and I am off to bed. I just checked in after doing the laundry ( yes I'm one of those who does her chores at night) so,,. I will post tomorrow with a longer reply! Bye
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Admiral

PG I was also kidding like you whereas I added the : ) which is a smile. Since you used slobs and little punks and then stated snobs and massive drunks I just followed the order.

Susanne, you didn't open a can of worms, you opened a can of whoopa$$! . Now I agree with you as to the board participants but I think you may have gotten carried away. I myself like the experience of elegant cruising, but I don't care if you, or anyone else, doesn't. Just have some common sense now, that's all. As for your not cruising based on the type of people and comments placed on this board, well that's your opinion and your loss. Most of us actually do not spend our vacation wondering about those things. May you enjoy your vacations whereever they make take you.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:39 AM
DT61

I could not agree with you MORE Susanna...but remember, these boards represent but a small percentage of the people actually on a cruise. At least thats my HOPE.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Susannne, keep in mind that the judging you mention people do is not limited to cruising. People judge other people EVERY day....at work, at the mall, at dinner, you get my point. I hate to see you miss out on a great cruise just because you think there is a lot of judging going on.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Yikes! Unless someone's tongue is planted firmly in cheek, I think we should realize that cruises offer something for everyone - it's all in your attitude. The new "free style" cruising offers casual, relaxed dining; the pool area is never "formal"; and how many people look elegant whilst singing at Karaoke?

Pay the same amount of attention to people who annoy you at sea as those who annoy you on shore....none!
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:22 AM
First Mate

Good morning all!
I could not agree more with the comments about some of the mean posters. BUT, this one section is the GRIPES section so it is a more "open" venue to RANT about some things.
Cruising has changed but you don't have to be in a tux to have basic manners or you don't ahve to wear sequins to practice parenting skills...lots of folks practice breeding skills, far too many lack parenting skills.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with having that extra martini, but even though it is YOUR cruise, it is NOT right to show up for dinner being loud, crude, vulger and then pass out in your pasta.

The point of my original post is that those of us that at least think we have basic social skills need not remain silent while those that function on a neanderthal level rule the roost....apologies to neanderthals for the comparison.

As the teacher at my grandson's pre-school says...."Play nice!"
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:37 PM
Admiral

I have been on 18 cruises, including five on Carnival, and I have not noticed any loud, vulgar,
crude and drunk people at dinner. Perhaps that is because I have not made a point of looking for them. In addition, I don't believe that clothes make the man or woman. I have seen jeans in the dining room on formal evenings, but they were clean and neat. It is what is inside you, not outside, that makes you what you are. I feel that it is not my business to judge others, and I enjoy meeting and talking to everyone. I still say "live and let live!"

Susanna, please keep cruising. You will find many more people who feel as I do than those who wish pass judgement on you for any reason.
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:29 AM
p.g.

Susanna , I just want to second all the posts that encourage you to continue cruising, I know that on these boards that certain"camps" are well represented, people who like kids people who don't , tuxes and no tuxes, etc. etc. but remember that on any given cruise their may only be a few out of thousands who even read these boards !!
Another interesting point is this , I 've seen some posters site the fact they have been on 15 or 20 cruises, now that can be a bit intimidating to someone like me who has only been on 3 cruises, I wonder if they are all rich and feel like quite the amateur, but then someone on another post pointed out that some people live in or near port cities and can grab 299$ specials. Well I live across the country ( and in fact in a different country!)
and just getting to a cruise is a min. 10 hours on the plane( never mind how long the stop-overs are!) so therefore it would be like someone from Florida saying they've been cruising in Europe 3 times which is pretty good!
I guess what i'm running on about is just this, have fun, if I see you on a cruise I won't care what you're wearing or if you have a screaming child( or grandchild) with you I'm on vacation and I'm not going to sweat the small stuff.

P.S. Paul, 18 cruises and you've never heard a drunk yelling down the hall at 2 am.? You've been very lucky, if I was you I would knock on wood!!
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:03 AM
First Mate

Just a philosophical question:

if you saw a vile, foul mouth drunk and your 8 year old was walking next to you and he or she heard the same thing would you say:

"Now, now, don't judge that man" You know you wouldn't. So the cop out of not making judgements is invalid.

You make judgment calls every day..some little, some big...you decide to go to work for a company, you decide to ask someone to marry you...those that rumble though others lives love to be protected by those that cry out 'Don't judge others"
Heck, every time you vote, you make that judgement call! Ask Gray Davis or Arnold.

No one is talking about jeans or anything like that..Stay on point..The question is uncivil behavior...which has NOTHING to do with someone's checkbook or style of dress.
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:49 AM
DT61

"Dress code being ignored"..."saving deck chairs".....???? Isnt this how the whole thread started?
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Thier RIGHTS versus your RIGHTS...my newest rant

Sorry, but the uncivil behavior I have encountered on cruises has been so limited to be almost non-existant. I do not make a point of looking for it. If someone doesn't bother me, I don't bother them.

I do find a lot of uncivil behavior in the way people drive on the freeways, running red lights, cutting across traffic lanes etc. I notice it because it is dangerous.
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm on vacation I'm in such a good mood that I'm oblivious to most annoying situations unless they're so outrageous that I have to notice.

Jeanne
Old October 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Admiral

<<lots of folks practice breeding skills, far too many lack parenting skills>>
I don't know if that's a quote from some renowned philosopher, or if Texasmunk just made it up, but it's gotta be one of the best I've heard in quite a while. Man, that's a classic!! And, I might add, so very often true.

In another vein, I have go along with Paul's remarks concerning what he has (or has not) experienced during his many cruises. We'll be taking our 14th cruise in December, and I must say that I cannot recall seeing any of the boorish behavior that many others seem to have experienced on cruises. I see lots of road rage on the Florida highways and byways, but I've hardly ever witnessed more than a occasional friendly drunk or two while cruising.

Perhaps we've just been lucky, or maybe (as some have said) we simply don't go out of our way to notice the foibles of our fellow passengers. On the other hand, if everyone took his or her lead from the Golden Rule, they and everyone else just might have a happier vacation experience.

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas