Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:39 PM
First Mate

Default Can I bring Alcahol on Board?

What is up with that? When you go on a land vacation, do you bring bottles of booze? No, you go to the bar and you pay for drinks! I don't understand why the boards are so full of these questions. Even if you pay the $9/per bottle fee that RCL charges, the duty free price is so low that it still probably costs less than buying it and bringing it with you. Live a little, go to the bar!

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2003, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Can I bring Alcahol on Board?

let me see.....a glass (small) of beringer white zin on ship is over 5 dollars...I can buy the 1.5 liter bottle for 8 dollars. Live a little is fine.....but really think we will continue to bring our own wine <G>, which is allowed by the cruise lines.

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Thats fine and Im glad you feel that way. (that people should buy on board) but thank god I have a right to try and sneak it on......and gosh darn it I am going to exercise that right!

Vodka in the Water bottle here I Come!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Admiral

I really think the cruiselines don't mind if you bring a small amount for personal in-room consumption anyway. I think their policy is to avoid excesses and be able to enforce it when it's warranted.

Since I drink beer it's not really worth it for me.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:43 AM
First Mate

When you see a guy with his own fork lift trying to bring on 14 cases of Keystone Light, then you KNOW that they are pushing the envelope.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM
Admiral

When I go on land vacations heck yes I bring some booze!! And I do on the cruise also, always 2-3 bottles of champagne. I don't have the money or desire to spend on overpriced drinks.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Admiral

most cruise lines allow wine or champagne to be brought on board. I think this whole problem began when people tried to bring aboard cases and coolers of booze. We buy our mixed drinks from the bars, and we pack nips of our favorite liqueurs to be enjoyed on the balcony. The cruise lines used to allow you to purchase your duty-free liquor on shore and have it delivered directly to your cabin,(assuming i guess that you were bringing it home to drink) now because the policy has been abused, they hold your liquor until the end of the cruise.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:48 PM
susanna

You can only bring ALCOHOL on board if you can spell the word!!!!!!
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Hehe good one Susanna, I totally missed that! Lol
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Admiral

susanna......lol ya nut!! lol

Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:12 PM
Vegas

People are another thread think that if you share soda cards, that you are cheap! So I guess if you bring your own liquor and beer, we all must be real cheap.
Old October 27th, 2003, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Can I bring Alcahol on Board?

Vegas I don't think the word was cheap I think it was "using your kids to cheat" I don't remember everyones view on the subject but it would be intresting if any of them have"CHEATED" when they slip a bottle or a few nips on board. Just thinking out loud

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Esmeralda

How are you able to bring 2 or 3 bottles of champagne on board? In your luggage? I'm going on my first cruise to ensenda and not sure if they check luggage or not.

Esmeralda
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

*note to self,,,,,,,,bring Forklift for cases of Smirnoff *

Why would anyone bring alchohol on board! Cheap people!
lol
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Captain

Seriously, and back to the original question, it depends on the line, as they all have different policies and enforcement tools. Of the popularly priced lines, HAL specifically allows one to bring alcohol onboard from any port. Royal Caribbean, while prohibiting this and having uneven enforcement of it, WILL sell you a bottle for your room at duty free price + $9, which will work out to about retail in your hometown. From reports, NCL has been about the strictest at X raying bags for "suspicious bottles" and they won't sell you a bottle at "bottle prices" for your room onboard, either. Carnival can be strict at times too. But people bring it on in their checked luggage in shampoo bottles and the like. I have no info on the other popularly priced lines. Among the premium or luxury lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Radisson, Oceania), just bring it on. But several of these are "open bar" or "open bar" many times, so you might not need to carry on. I don't know the situation at Crystal.

I do not wish to open up arguements as to what is and is not in good taste in this regard. You decide. However, I will say that the source of your liquor in your drink, should we meet on a cruise, would be of no concern to me at all.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:09 AM
First Mate

Crystal has no restrictions on BYOB. A couple at my table on a cruise last month had a case of wine brought on board in San Francisco and a case of whiskey delivered to their cabin in Vancouver. (They liked to host big parties.) Aside from a corkage fee for wine consumed in the dining room, Crystal doesn't worry about passengers' shopping habits. They realize that it's more important to treat customers right and get their return business than to force them to patronize the company store for a higher profit margin.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old November 1st, 2003, 03:03 PM
susanna

Isn't the wine at dinner included in the cruise cost on Crystal, if so the line would be saving money by letting passengers bring their own. Pretty smart if you ask me!!!!
Old November 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM
Yeoman

The fact that this would concern anyone amazes me. .Why does any one care what someone does in the privacy of their own cabin?

As for bringing booze on a land based vacation, excuse me but have you ever gone camping!!?? That's all WE CAN AFFORD on a year to year basis, we cruise ONCE every five years for our anniversery. WE ARE NOT CHEAP. WE ARE POOR! Do you have a problem with that?
I know that most posters do not want to sound elitest or snobby, but unfortunatley they may not realize that everyone does not come form the same income bracket as them. We deserve to cruise as much as they do, and yes we have to economise in ways they think are cheap, but, we do tip and we do buy an occaisonal drink on board, but if we are allowed to bring wine on board( which Princess DOES allow) then dang if we won't.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
Winner

Wine is not included with meals aboard Crystal and I think Crystal still imposes a corkage fee on any wine one brings into the dining room.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM
kar06

Radisson Seven Seas has a house red & white wine available for free in the dining room every night, along with some free alcohol in your cabin (that you get to choose a bottle of or something.)
Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
LuvCruising

I just returned from a week on the Elation and i carried on a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne and had a bottle of vodka in my checked luggage.
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:09 PM
PhxStudMuffin

Default Re: Re: Can I bring Alcohol on Board?

.... I got you all beat!

I bring my own box of wine, large 1.5 liters of alcohol, pina coladas or strawberry daiquiri mixers, etc. and even a plastic blender (all of these plastic, not glass) then use ice to keep mixers chilled once opened and also to add to drinks in blender. I even use their glasses when I drink what I have mixed up so looks like I bought it onboard. I can't believe the hundreds extra people spend on alcohol, especially since the cruiseline automatically adds a 15% gratuity to every alcohol purchasae. If that is not a problem then getting a good cruise rate itself should not matter. Being smart or not spending money you don't have to is not cheap to me. They make plenty on alcoholic drinks as there are always many who spend enough for the rest of the ship. I don't like to get a buzz every night or day anyway, but I enjoy knowing I have very little (if any) onboard expenses once booked. Makes the cruise even more enjoyable and worry-free.

From my experience, cruiselines examine carry-ons for any illegal substances or weapons, as well as alcohol. However, in my experience checked baggage is only scanned for anything illegal or dangerous. Does anyone actually have an account of a cruiseline pulling everyone aside later after finding alcohol in their checked luggage after they have boarded but before deliverying bags to the room??? Never happened to me and I can't imagine that happening, as it would take forever to pull so many aside for that reason and bags would pile up or not get delivered.
Old November 8th, 2003, 07:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Can I bring Alcohol on Board?

Is it really worth the time and effort to do this? You still have to buy all the liquor. I guess if those few extra dollars are needed to book the trip you gotta do what you gotta do. Seems like a pain to me.

Old November 8th, 2003, 07:42 PM
PhxStudMuffin

Default Re: Can I bring Alcohol on Board?

[Sorry about the repeat posts, but didn't know that it takes a while for the posts to show up once submitted -- won't happen again.]

Let's see...

It takes me about 20 minutes and $30 to buy a week's worth of alcohol, mixers, etc. in one stop. I guess I could spend 200 minutes total during the week waiting in line (as many did on my recent Atlantis cruise) and $300 on the overpriced, watered-down drinks with automatic gratuity added to each, but to me $200 or so makes a difference. If it doesn't to you, then you don't even have to shop around for cruises, just simply pay the first price you find.

Must be nice! : )
Old November 9th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Captain

Hey, everyone! One thing that has been forgotten in this debate is that there is not only a difference in cruise line's policy and enforcement of "BYOB", but there is also a vast difference in what cruise lines charge for a drink in their bars onboard. On a recent cruise to Bermuda we were on Radisson, where a regular drink was $4.40 -- when they were not included --- which was much of the time. There was also a Celebrity ship in port there, and we talked to some of their guests, who reported simple drinks at $7 -- by the time their mandatory 15% tip was included, to which we were not subjected. Pretty big difference here, guys! Would make a big difference to me on the "carry on" issue. But we did not have to worry about that, as we were GIVEN one liter of selected liquor per guest.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:15 AM
firelady

Don't drink and you dont have to worry about anything!!
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Hey Stud, when I was going on the Triumph a few years back I had 2-6 packs and 2 bottles of champagne on my carryon. It went thru xray and I was pulled out of the line and they had to open my bag to see what was in it. I had hard lemonade and was told they would take it from me and give it back at the end of the cruise, yeah right. I complained and the lady looked at the alcohol content and told me I won't get drunk from this and finally let me go. Then earlier this year on Elation we had a 6 pack of Citrona that we were drinking while in line waiting to board. By the time we got up there we had 2 bottles left. Once again we were told we can't take them on board. Again I protested because I only had 2 bottles and the let me thru. Now with the champagne there was no problem but the other drinks there was.
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:06 AM
PhxStudMuffin

Yes, exactly as I wrote above, nushnakka:

"Cruiselines examine carry-ons for any illegal substances or weapons, as well as alcohol. However, in my experience checked baggage is only scanned for anything illegal or dangerous. Does anyone actually have an account of a cruiseline pulling everyone aside later after finding alcohol in their checked luggage after they have boarded but before deliverying bags to the room?"

Your account seems to confirm what I just said, as you were referring to carry-on luggage (not checked, as I was referring to), and I have never been so complacent as to try to take alcohol in plain sight or in my carry-on. Anyway, looks like what I have been doing works fine. : )
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Captain

On this and another cruise board, there were numerous reports recently about NCL using their security X ray equipment to also check for alcoholic beverages in CHECKED luggage. If something that looked like a container of such a beverage were spotted, the luggage was not delivered to the room. Instead, the guest was called down the the cargo area to open the luggage for hand inspection. Any alcoholic beverages found were taken and held till the last night of the cruise. For me, these reports meant goodbye NCL, forever. I don't like the privacy breach for non-security reasons whether I have any alcohol or not.

But if you want alcohol availibility in a lower priced cruise, all is certainly not lost. Take HAL and you can carry it on, or they will sell it to you for your room at less than you can buy it at home. Or take RCI, where carry on "alcohol policies " seem to differ from cruise to cruise, but as a stop gap you can at least buy it for you room onboard for about the retail price in your town. Up just a little in price to Oceania, and you can carry on freely. Up a bit more to Radisson, and they will GIVE you a liter, and have a lot of open bar time. Up still further to Seabourn and Silversea, and they have open bar 24/7.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Stud, I would never put glass bottles in my checked luggage . Besides I don't believe in sneaking around. Mine is out in the open, if it's not allowed then either I can argue and get it on board or lose it. I only take enough for an evening or 2 then I buy drinks on the ship vs those that sneak it on and tend bar in their rooms.