Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Maria65

Default Canned Music

I'm just back from Voyager and had a great trip. It really exceeded my expectations in so many ways. One thing bothered me though. I like to sit and read in quiet sometimes. It was no problem finding non-crowded areas on deck but the ever-present canned music really bugged me. I just wanted some time without it. It seems they installed speakers every 20 feet or so throughout the ship. It was even on at 5am when i got up early to watch us come into Miami the last morning.

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Sooshie

Default Re: Canned Music

We were on the Enchantment in October and I honestly didn't notice the music....peace and quiet to me is when the kids aren't arguing ; )
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
bettylu

We just returned from South America on the Infinity and the only complaint we had was the music. Even in the hallways and at night, a person we were travelling with had to call twice to ask that the music be turned down after midnight. No need for the music at all times and in all areas of the ship.
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

In May of 2003, I took an inside passage Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Sky. It was a spectacular trip, and the scenic highlight was the magnificent fjord & glacier scenery as we cruised up Tracy Arm. It called for Grieg, (Norway's favorite son,) or Sibelius, or Wagner. Instead, the on-deck Muzak was utter banality-- Kenny G and the like. I hope they've made a change since!
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM
bettylu

That is true, this was our sixth cruise and never experienced this before.
Old February 28th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Indeed, the halls are alive with the sound of Muzak! I completely agree a lot could be done to make it less insipid.

Sail away should be accompanied by Beethovens Seventh Symphony, First movement.
The pace of the piece is an analog of the way a ship increases to crusing speed.

Grieg and Sibelius are perfectly appropos for cruising Alaska or Nordic fjords, maybe with some selections from Mahler and Copeland, and Holzst.

Gershwin's Cuban Overture for ports in the Caribbean.

Save Wagner for storms at sea -- Der Fliegende Hollander prelude, or Ride of the Walkure--or rounding the Horn. The second portion of Rossini's William Tell overture is appropriate for squalls.

For disembarkation, it's just about a tossup between Albinoni's and Samuel Barber's Adagios. Also fitting would be the second movement of JS Bach's First Brandenburg Concerto.

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Admiral

It bugged me alot too, not always my preference of music....so I bring along my walkman and listen to what I want to hear, blocking out the muzak, the kids screaming in the pool, and the sound of the engines, and any other unwanted noise. My biggest problem was cruising over New Years when they were still playing Christmas carols. It's just a little bit bizarre lying in the tropical sun by the pool, sipping a Margarita, and listening to "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire"......

donna

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:13 PM
cruisinKandJ

Can do without Muzak OR classical music. I'm a jazz fan. But I strongly agree that the canned stuff can go. Anyway, there's always a combo playing on the Lido Deck or a piano bar in other parts of the ship. At times, you can also enjoy live music from another ship nearby. All those musical diversions are plenty.

J.