Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Asealady

Default Nasty posts

After coming here only a few weeks, I find that the posts can be very nasty! This doesnt help anyone going on a cruise vacation. Other cruise boards dont seem to be like that.
Why here? Shame on everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Nasty posts

Why do you say such a thing? Don't you have a life lady, for crying out loud. Nasty posts here? For Petes' sake go take a hike. People like you who want to stir up sh!t don't belong here. Go away!

Just kidding............JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

I think most of the people here are good natured folks but everyone has their "hot" button. And sometimes it gets pushed by unsuspecting people who don't take the time to reread their post before hitting the "post" button.

I wish more people would take the time to scrutinize their message before hitting the post button for both content AND clarity.

Keep posting Asealady, we appreciated all viewpoints if done cordially.

Regards,
Thomas (who is going back to reread this post before sending)

P.S. I was just kidding.
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Asealady - this is the GRIPES board - one place here on CM where we can vent and gripe and get it all of our chests. Yes, this area can get heated, but if you think the posters here are bad, try checking out some other cruise boards!

Old November 12th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Asealady

Default Re: Re: Nasty posts

Lisa, I have!
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Asealady

You are funny, Thomas! Leaving Sunday on the Dawn. Going to appreciate some warmer weather for a few days.

Happy Cruisng!
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There can be threads where "tempers flare" a bit, but generally I think most of the people participating on our message boards are very helpful where they can be.

I will say that our boards, though monitored, are probably more open to opposing points of view than many. As long as people don't start swearing and name calling posts are allowed to remain.
There's nothing wrong with animated debate or discussion. I think that's more liable to give readers a balanced view of the topic, than if only those who agree post, just to be nice.

I know some boards prefer to delete threads whenever they become even a bit heated, to give the APPEARANCE of being a gentler/friendlier board. I personally prefer to hear the good and the bad, as long as the discussion stays on track, and people handle it maturely enough to stay away from personal attacks.

I don't know of another web site that has a Gripes message board.... and personally I think it's a good idea. Nothing wrong with people having a place to vent. Some of it is small stuff, some larger concerns, and some just jokes. Again.. most times the posts will speak to both sides of a topic, and that presents more real information, than 50 posts in a thread all saying.. I agree.

None of this means people aren't friendly. Heck I have some great debates with my best friends on land to, but it certainly doesn't mean we're not friends.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Asealday- just tell Thomas to go to his room! that's where we send him when he is being a "bad boy" <VBG>. I think we are very lucky here, very few trolls around. Just folks expressing their points of view, sometimes heated.
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Nasty posts

This is the common definition of "gripe", direct from Webster's on-line:

v. griped, grip·ing, gripes
v. intr.
1. Informal. To complain naggingly or petulantly; grumble.
2. To have sharp pains in the bowels.

I don't see anything in that definition that says "to make personal attacks or state your opinion of other people's values, behaviors, or beliefs". But a lot of that does go on here, and I have to agree with ASeaLady. Maybe that "pain the bowels" thing is just a metaphor?

Cheers,
MaryC
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If there is ever a post you should see and don't think its approperate for these boards, there is a new "report a post". Feel free to use it and let the staff here know of any offending posts, they will be taken care of ASAP.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Captain

I think that what Asealady means are not those posts that pose gripes about cruise experiences, but posts that get personal and gripe about other posters. I agree with her that personal attacks are not appropriate here. For one thing, they deter those who might otherwise inform us all of some legitimate gripe with a cruise or line that we'd like to know about before we "plunked down our money" on it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Asealady

Yes, Richard that is what I mean.
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Personal attacks are NOT tolerated and are a Terms of Service violation! If you've seen them, as Donna stated, you should use "Report this Message" and action will be taken.

I do think sometimes people can mistake someone's disagreement with a post as a personal attack. I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning someone's opinion, whether on the gripe board, or any other message board.

Disagreeing with what a poster says is quite different from personally attacking the poster!

I do think it's a bit of human nature to take it personally when someone attacks our position or opinion, but it's important to see what the difference is!

As I said before, I can have friends who can have totally opposite points of view on a subject. We can each argue our side vehemently, yet still remain friends. And debates or discussions here should be handled in the same way.

If it turns to personal attacks, let the staff know, it will be dealt with!!!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Yeoman

Please, ...a gripe is a gripe, calling someone with whom you disagree a name is another thing altogether. And I have seen it on these boards.
I don't need to compare boards because it doesn't matter which board you go on there is human nature to contend with ,and humans as we all know( and most will admit) are not perfect. .
I personally diagree with others sometimes and I hope I never call anyone a name. I f i do I hope I get called on it.I will call it when I see it.
The internet is a wonderful place to play, but remember there are people behind those posts.People who have feelings! It's easy to get carried away when your're all alone with your computer,but would you really say some of the things that people type to someones face!
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Beginner

I find a little honesty refreshing. I've seen the "sweep it under the rug" in action. Usually it's those who are the nastiest who also do the sweeping, and pretend later that nothing ever happened. They like to use the word "friend", but believe me, it's only in a fair weather sense.

Also, some sites that do group cruises tend to allow those who are participating in the group get away with much more than they otherwise might be able to. Present company excepted, of course.

Old November 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Captain

I think a good rule here is this: If you have a bad cruise experience, report it and be just as nasty about the cruise as you wish. Just don't be nasty about a fellow poster!

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 13th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Asealady

Richard,

You are right again! Thats what its all about. Going on NCL Dawn Sunday..I know I will have good things to report about.

Bye
Maureen