Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Default saving pool chairs

I have read a few posts about people saving the chairs and lounges out by the pool area. I know this isn't allowed but people do it anyway. What if you actually took the towel or whatever was saving the chair, and moved it off, then took the chair for yourself? Anyone ever try this?
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: saving pool chairs

If it is just a towel and has been there for a while, I do it all the time. Even more fun is to take the stufff and move it so there are 5 or 6 chairs in between . It is quite funny to see the reaction of the people who come back 2 hours later . There are now two couples and a family of 5 sitting in between their stuff. What are they going to do about it and who are they going to complain to?
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you don't mind someone saying something to you. And they use those words found in a sailors handbook!

And it doesn't matter how long they were gone...they are going to tell you that they just went to the restroom, etc.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Beginner

I have actually done this at a resort or hotel, and no one has ever really said anything, and I have had it done to me before also. I was just wondering if would work on a cruise. I just hate not being able to find a place by the pool because of all the towels laying in the sun.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
First Mate

I will confess that if I go to lunch, I do leave my stuff at my chair. I do not feel like that is some major breeech of ettiquette (sp??)

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Admiral

A break of 15 minutes or less is acceptable to me but c'mon a 1/2 hour nap in the room is over the top for me.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

cm'on guys you want to cruise cunard, they are very strict on this! i think it's cos its a british line and we brits are used to german sunbed hoggers! but seriously they tell you as soon as you get onboard that sunbed hogging is not acceptable and will not be tolerated, they will and do move towels if they have been unattended for some time (they have bar staff who are on the same decks so i assume it is also part of their job) they provide your towels as well, beautiful green cunard logoed (sp) beachtowels. it seems to work well.

just to give you all a laugh when my husband was in malta (before my time) he was eating breakfast and watched the pool attendant walking around and flicking towels that had been left out into the pool. Another silly story and i have to admit i am a little ashamed now, but we were on our way to bed after a long night in the bar (we were in tunisia, beatiful country please make sure you visit) and towels were out around the pool, this was about 2am and we threw them in the pool. i really do wish i hadn't, but we were younger and i thought it was absoloutely ridiculous that these towels were out, we also heard people going down to put their towels out at 5am, they woke us up they were so noisy!
Old July 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Passenger

I worked once at a beach resort which had more guests than sunbeds, as most would do. We more than once had to tell a group of guests that it really was a bit rich to take the sunbeds to their rooms the night before so that they had them if they happened to need the the next day!

Come to think of it, do you think I'd be able to get two sunbeds into my inside cabin?

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Beginner

That's an idea Turtle!
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Thomas,

I think the 15 minute rule is a bit restrictive. If I lug all my things up on deck and sun for a while, I am not going to pack them all up them all up again while I go eat lunch at the buffet only to have to lug them all back up on deck and unpack them all again.

This is not about saving chairs, it is about relaxation. It is so great to be able to lie in the sun and then meander down to lunch and return to your chair afterwards for a nap.

I have a problem with the folks who leave their cabins at sunrise and go put towels on 25 chairs only to return 6 hours later for 1/2 hour of sunning.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
redyedfrg

on our last cruise, husband and i plunked down in two chairs for a relaxing day at sea. he two chairs to my right were occupied only by a small tote bag and i towel. after 2 quiet hours (no arriving neighbors) we packed up & went to lunch. returned 40 minutes later to the same chairs, and neighbors were still not there. 4 HOURS later, when we finally left for the day, still, NO sign of these chair hogs. there is NO WAY you can tell me this is not rude! although, i did enjoy my quiet spot to read (wink).
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Passenger

We give saved chairs 40 minutes, as we've timed our lunch brakes several times and they average 32 minutes... After 40 minutes, sorry, they're ours now... Was challenged once after we'd been there an hour or so.. Told the person to go get Security and explain why he left their chairs for an hour and a half and expected to get them back.. They left after a few cuss words. I guess that made them feel better, as for us, we felt just fine lying there in the sun enjoying a brew... Bombero
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise I heard that a fight broke out between 2 people over lounge chairs. Heard that it was the Captain who had to break it up. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lets see....some posters say that 15 minutes is ago....I really don't see a problem with that.

But then you will get people that say 20 minutes, then 30 minutes, then an hour. You have to draw the line somewhere.

On my cruise I loved getting up before sunrise and going out on the deck....I always laughed to myself as I watched all of the people running around placing "things" on chairs on the Liddo Deck. I saw a woman place a left flip-flop on one chair and the right one on another next to it. And she scurried off to celebrate her victory. I didn't hang around to see how long it took her to come back....had better things to do.

The one thing that I noticed is the chairs located around the pool are the ones that get saved....I didn't see chairs on the decks being saved....so, there are plenty of chairs, so saving is really not necessary....It's just that everyone wants to be next to the pools and hottubs....so that they can gripe about children spashing them.....Oh that is on another thread - Sorry!
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Yeoman

Great point: Who gets to decide how long? The right answer, IMHO, is the cruise line, and it is up to them to police the issue, and determine when a pax's reservation has expired, not any pax for themselves. If you see some towels getting a nice tan, the proper thing to do IMHO is get the cruise line to get you a chair.
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:34 AM
First Mate

We want to be right by the poll so we can watch our son in the pool. We go to the pool around 7:30-8am and one of us hangs out their while the other gets breakfast, coffee and brings it back. At lunch time, we do leave out things and eat, but rarely takes more than 30 minutes.
I think the 45- 60 minutes should be the max.
Happy sailing,
Sea angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Admiral

The chairs are for everybody. They do not belong to anyone. Leaving for a bathroom break or to pick up a drink or snack and bring back to the chair is acceptable.

But if someone leaves to embark on another activity then the chair is open in my opinion.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Donalee

If I plan to sit in a deck chair on the cruise I book on Crystal Harmony. Its the only ship with enough deck space by the pool to accommodate the passengers. A single woman doesn't have a chance getting a deck chair on other cruise lines.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Yeoman

Then comes the inevitable quandary: How long is a legitimate "bathroom break"?
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Admiral

I agree w/Thomas....how about once EVERYONE leaves their POOL chair (except if you are HONESTLY in the POOL), they remove all of their items...that would solve a lot of problems and be more considerate of others....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Zack

How long is a legitimate "bathroom break"?

ahh....as long as it takes! When it gets to the point that we are being timed on long we go to the restroom, I think we are getting a little too anal. No spun intended.

I'm just thankful that people take the time to go to the restroom instead of using the pool like the kiddos. Ever see one of them heading to the restroom during their hours of play? I would hate to think that an adult to use the pool rather than take a chance on losing their chair while going to the restroom.

It's best to travel in pairs or more so someone can watch your chair while you take turns getting drinks, getting a plate from the outside food offerrings and yes going to the restroom. On one occasion that I was by myself and went to the restroom (5 minutes tops) some A-Hole dumped my stuff and was laying on my chair. I gave the punk 10 seconds to move his ass or I would do it for him. (The chairs stip over very easily) He moved. There were pretty of chairs, he just wanted mine. I can be one of the "rude old people" if I have to be.

The chairs may belong to everyone, but the stuff on the chairs has ownership. You should not touch or move others people stuff...period. If the only thing that is on a chair is a cruise line towel and it has been empty for long time and no other chairs are available, it's yours.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Irishjayne

I must be getting old. I can't believe that people would be that rude. Especially on a ship with 2600 people. Guess I will find out in November on the Sapphire.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm thinking about chaining mine to my leg and just dragging it to the dining room and such with me.

Old July 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Henry

I bought a folding chair that fits in a round holder with a strap and carry that with me when i go to the pool deck. That way i have my own chair. So far no one has claimed it for theirs when i got up to get a drink or gone to the restroom.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Bring your own chair... Great Idea!!! I have a great folding one that is very lightweight. I am definitely bringing that this time. I posted this under the "rude" category but I think it fits well here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a good one. On a recent Voyager sailing, there were some hurricanes in the area and we had to skip a couple of islands. The weather was perfect and each sea day it would get worse. People would come out early in the morning and put stuff on chairs to hold them. Then they would get breakfast or go back to the room and back to sleep for a while. By the final sea day, my wife and I got up early to get seats and were on deck by 8am. We found chairs but it was comical. Every seat on deck had stuff on it but there was only a couple of dozen people outside.

So this guy comes out and is looking for a chair. He waits for about 20 minutes. Finally, he goes to a chair in front of us and removes the towel from the chair and lays down. We had been there for at least 1/2 hr before that and didn't see anyone using the chair in question or any others around it. 1/2 hour later, this woman comes out and starts an argument with the guy because she was "saving" the chair for one of her family members. She then proceeded to explain that all 12 chairs in the area were being saved for her family. She was furious at how she took the trouble to reserve the chairs went back to her cabin "TO WATCH A MOVIE" and now he is stealing one of her chairs!

Old July 24th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Are there not any staff members who you can complain to? If it's against the rules then I would think you could complain and get a chair. Right?
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: saving pool chairs

Complaining is probably not sufficient, since it puts the staff member in an unwinnable situation. What might be more effective, perhaps, is giving the staff member a clear understand of what action you expect to be taken, such as "Could you please clear some unused lounch chairs off for passengers just arriving at the pool?
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

After reading all the "chair hogging" threads, I feel really lucky that I don't enjoy sitting by the pool and, therefore, don't have to worry about the chair hoggers. I much rather find a shady spot somewhere quiet to sit. However, if I ever did spot somebody's stuff on a chair that had been vacant for awhile, I don't think I would assume that they were chair hoggers, rather just absent-minded people who had mistakenly left their things behind. In which case, I would feel compelled to help the poor person out by turning their "lost" items into the ship's lost and found.

Post Edited (07-24-04 16:34)
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: saving pool chairs

If people didn't reserve deck chairs for later use there wouldn't be a shortage. Placing an article on a chair and expecting to have it waiting for you when you return 15, 30, 60 or however many minutes later is like putting a reserved sign on a public parking spot while you just "drive around the block" to take care of other business. Things don't work the way they're supposed to when people cheat.

Ideally, there should be enough chairs to go around for everybody. Then there'd be no fighting over limited availability. Since the passenger-chair ratio seems to always be greater than one, what about the idea of paid reservations? You pay the deck steward a nominal fee for a chair cover and claim check. That chair remains yours for the rental period whether you're sitting in it or not. It would put an end to disputes over vacant chairs or chairs being held for family and friends. If you want to reserve potential seating space badly enough, you pay for the right. I have been to resorts that actually use such a system for beach chairs and umbrellas and it seems to work. Economics can persuade those who are immune to common courtesy.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

That's perhaps the same basis for the surcharge at Johnny Rockets on some RCI ships. Works well often.