Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2003, 04:40 PM
alisonr

Default Service

Recently returned from Grand Princess. First night asked cabin steward to put twin beds together. He said it could not be done (Princess brochure states otherwise). When asked why he says that he will bump his head on the bunks when trying to make up the bed. Hubby and I push beds together ourselves-do not bump our heads (hey it can be done!). By 3rd day cabin steward makes the beds into a Queen but grumbles about needing Queen sheet and comfortor. This was our only request to cabin steward during the cruise-other than asking for beach towels-told none avavilable use bathroom towels instead.
Found service in buffet/Personal Choice Dining a hit and miss. Overall not very friendly or helpful. Trying to help our small children at the buffet/carry tray etc. Lots of waiters around but not once did any one offer to help-even when obvious that parent is struggling. Automatic tipping for children is the same as for adults, however saw very little attempt to provide good service to children. Wonder if level of service is related to Automatic Tipping?
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:58 PM
jamie gunter

Default Re: Service

That is very poor service. I cant believe he would not put your beds together.
Sounds like he just didnt feel like doing it. We have sailed Carnival twice now
and had great service! Give them a try.
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Horseracer

I've been on the Grand Princess three times. I've never heard of a cabin steward refusing to make the beds in queen configuration. Did you report this to the Hotel Manager? Complaining after you've disembarked is far less effective than while on board. As nearly as I could tell, the staff goes out of their way to make sure the children enjoy themselves - I think many of them miss their own families, and therefore enjoy some interaction with children who cruise.

Sometimes poor service has less to do with auto-tipping than it does with not letting the staff know what you would like to have corrected.
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM
alisonr

Default Re: Re: Service

Perhaps we just got unlucky with the cabin steward. Glad to hear that you have not had bad service on Princess. We did make the request twice to our cabin steward but I did not go to the hotel manager. Wrote extensively on the comment card. This is the first cruise we have not tipped the suggested amount, we did for ourselves but lowered the amount for our 3 children.

alison
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Yeoman

Good decsion Alison, I wouldn't have tipped full amount and I would have made it clearWHY! More people have to make it clear that they will not tip for sub standard service, otherwise the tips lose meaning and just become a fee. Tip accordingly, and I think it is very important that if a person reduces their tip amount they tell the mangement WHY, and that it is not just a case of being a cheapskate,. I imagine that if a staff member had many persons reduce their tips it would clue the cruiseline into taking a good look at that staff's service level.
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

My cabin attendant was wonderful on the Grand. In addition to the automated tip I handed him a thank you note and an additional $50.00 bill, and wrote "if you ever have free time you are welcome to stay in my ocean front Fl. condo." I saw this man the morning I departed and not even a hello, thank you etc. Ever notice how friendly the staff is before receiving tips, but afterward rarely a work is spoken? Just my perspective!

Happy Sailing!

Carol
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear that your cabin steward wasn't up to par. You did the right thing by filling out the comment card and reducing the tip amount. I have found the service on Princess to be exceptional, i have found that when it comes to service at the buffet, its usually a language barrier problem more than anything else, you just need to speak slower, use simple words & phrases.
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Service

We have just disembarked from Star Princess in Sydney Australia.We had wonderful friendly service.We had 3 small complaints that we did not report.Cereal did not arrive for one of our dining mates at a table for 4 at two breakfasts.Fruit did not arrive on another breakfast.for one.All were in anytime dining.
Afternoon tea which we attended once was badly done in regards to the order in which it was recieved at the table.We attended at 1600hrs.The hours are 1530hrs to 1630hrs.
Breakfast in the dining room on departure morning at 0730hrs was slow and unorganized even though the dining room was not full.
Except for the above it was a wonderful cruise and the service staff were friendly and very helpful and always attentive and eveready to offer more service in nearly all departments of the ship.
Australians usually dont like to tip,(its not in our culture)$10.00 U.S. Per Day would seem a lot to us.At the end of the cruise we thought it was very resonable given the service that we recieved and ended the cruise all happy campers despite our last breakfast