Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2003, 05:46 PM
cruisin

Default Small children

Okay, I'm sure alot of people will be upset about this post but I will take my chances.
My husband and I just sailed on the Imagination Dec. 13, a pretty good cruise. My biggest complaint was the small children on the shore tours. I like kids as much as the next person-I have a wonderful 3 year old boy-but I did not like the small children on the shore tours. This was not the place for little kids. There were babies and toddlers on our Dunns River Falls climb tour! I just don't see how that was good for anyone. The little ones could not keep up, heck I had trouble keeping up, and they were tired and crying before we were a quarter of the way up the rocks. Then the parents were all a little irritable with the kids because they were embarassed, what did they expect?? On our other tour the baby cried the whole time and no one could hear the announcements from the bus driver. I understand parents cannot always control a crying baby but what was a small baby doing on a underwater tour and being loaded in and out of small busses that adults were complaining about all day? Okay that was my gripe, love kids, don't love them on shore tours.
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:54 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Small children

I couldn't agree more!!
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Admiral

i agree that there are certain tours that are just not geared for small children. Don't some tours have age restrictions for safety reasons? Dunns River Falls is the perfect example the climb is not safe or appropriate for small children, they can walk up the side with an adult.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:19 PM
Asealady

Yup, agree with you 100 per cent!! This will always happen, parents dont care who it affects on dont care how it affects their little ones. Its the same problem with parents expecting them to sit through a 2 hour dinner. Not very bright and shame on them!
Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I think some parents just want to do all the things they want to do...not thinking how it will affect their small child or others around them. I love kids, but most shore excursions are not for them due to length, activity, etc.

If parents want to cruise with their children, then find appropriate things to do with their children in port!

Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
Yeoman

I have small kids and I agree!! Some people are so determined that "kids aren't going to change our lifestyle" that they push their young kids into situations that just are not fair to them!!. Dunns river falls with young kids!?? Silly(and dangerous)!
I realize that many parents have babysitters( ie grandparents, that cruise with them) and they are very lucky, and some who do not have that kind of help decide to cruise anyways and "include the kids in everything" well that's fine, if the kids are a reasonalble age for the activities. A BABY should not be carried up the falls, a seven year old who is agile is probably more approiate.A formal dinner with a 2 year old should not require the toddler to sit for 2 hours( that isn't even natural ) and 5 year old could probably sit for one hour.
My pet peeve is when I am out late shopping and see young school age children out on a school night ( after 10 pm!!!??) What are these parents thinking!!! Don't tell me they are all single parents trying to get late night medicine either, I realize there are legitimate reasons for the aforementioned scenerio, but those are exceptions.Some peolpe just refuse to alter their lifestyle at all, having kids does change things, and sometinmes scacrefices have to made!
Well this certainly turned into a rant, please don't ever think I mean kids don't belong on a cruise, I think they do, it's a perfect family vacation. I just think people should think before they put their kids into certain sititations!
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Admiral

I can't imagine even taking a toddler on a cruise. I mean if the baby is still in diapers and a stroller is this much of a vacation? Can't you possibly wait a couple of years until the infant can at least walk on it's own and dress itself?

Regards,
Thomas

Post Edited (12-24-03 10:36)
Old December 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Strollers & Wheelchairs!

I was on the glory the week after Thanksgiving, & my heel was clipped on several occasions by strollers & wheelchairs. We had a large number of wheelchair passengers on our cruise, nothing against the disabled, but between them & the srollers it made delays o plenty in getting on/off the ship, elevators, dodging them with trays full of food etc. I joked with my wife that carnival should have taken a group photo of all passengers that brougt someone on wheels.
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:58 PM
cruise lover

illiniandy. Hope you don't end up in a wheelchair someday and have others such like you decide on what quality of life you have to lead!
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Small children

This still is a gripe board isn't it, I didn't say you had to like my comments. If I do get put in a wheelchair tomorrow, I will be sure & call you on the way out of the hospital so that you can roll me out in front of a bus, just don't clip anyone's heels as you give me that last shove!
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM
starfighter

I think as long as each excursion has a minimum age requirement, that should be all that's necessary. I realize that sometimes a child can get unruly or cry, but sometimes adults get unruly or become loud also. I would agree that it would be nice if they had an adult only section on excursions that are able to do so, such as boats and buses. You might still be able to hear distractions, but at least they wouldn't be right in your ear.
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Yeoman

I think that we all need to share the space here on earth and I am sick of the posters who seem to feel that the only crusiers allowed are able bodied adults between the ages of 21 and 70. Wheelchairs users and stroller users are JUST as entitled to space as you are. There is a world of difference between agreeing that a young child or infant should not be dragged up a waterfall or shoved on a river rafting trip, but this hoity toity attitude that says children and folks in wheelcahairs are an inconvenicnce to you, ugh, do you actually say this stuff in public?
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
bmgaritty

PG,
I bet they don't say those things in front of people in wheelchair or strollers!

I am pushing a stroller these days and sometimes my Dad's wheelchair - never clipped anybody!

At the grocery store, even though I am short, I try to reach for items if a handicapped person can't reach it. I wonder what these wheelchair and stroller haters do ?

I do agree that some parents need to realize that there are limitations when they become parents - some shore excursions are just not for small children.

Adults do have the same problem. with excursions. I was on an excursion in Ephesus, Turkey. Some people did not read the capablity info. We had to wait while they rested because they were tired and hot! I guess it can happen to anyone. Had the same thing happen in Athens at the Acroplis. If you know you have physical limitations, please read the excursion info!

Have a good day everyone!

Barbara
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I agree with you. Some of the excursions are not meant for small children. When we were in Grand Cayman, we booked a snorkeling tour. What we didn't realize was that it was pretty advanced snorkeling (and I am not a very good swimmer to begin with! ) I think the age limit was 8 or something but even that is too young for kids who don't know how to snorkel. Even some of the adults seemed freaked out a little, and I was no exception! But it was in 20 feet of water with a really strong current, very easy to get knocked under even with the crummy life vests and many of the children were horrified. This one can't really be blamed on the parents though since the information did not specify how difficult the excursion would be. But I know what you mean about parents who bring their kids along even if they shouldn't. Either way, measures should be taken to ensure this doesn't happen.

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:18 AM
tigger1

Absolutely true! I have a child and would never think of bringing her on anything that her age does not permit, with regards to shore excursions. However, if the shore excursions don't set age limits....well then what can you do? I check before we go, and ask at least three more times....I just found out we can't go horseback riding in Cozumel because my child isn't 12 years old. Oh well, have to do something else.

But that's horrible to suggest that someone in a wheelchair or a child in a stroller shouldn't be allowed to go on a family vacation......you are dead right.....Quality of life depends on what you get out of life......
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
First Mate

I don't hear anyone saying that children in strollers and people who use scooters or wheelchairs shouldn't go on vacation. I agree, though, that sometimes these items are used as battering rams. I can tolerate the occasional bump, when accidental, and I'll gladly make room or move aside if necessary. When it's on purpose, I'll say something.

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:02 AM
bmgaritty

Cruisim Okie,
A couple of posts have been removed....

Barbara
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Marina

im 61 years old and doing my cruising now while still able, i agree that w/c and strollers are just not meant for cruise ships, and when i get to my w/c some day, i plan to look at pictures and remember, ill be broke, but ill be happy. im spending my kids inheirtence now
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM
alisonr

I'm not sure in what way you believe w/c are not meant for cruise ships. How is going on a cruiseship with a w/c different than say going to the mall, out for dinner etc. The people that I have seen using w/c on cruises seem to get around okay. I would hate to discourage anyone from the joys of cruising (either young or old) because they are in a w/c.
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Yeoman

Marina, no , how sad! Everyone welcome aboard, wc or no, !!!
And what about someone who is in a wc at age 25, or 13, or 45??? They should NEVER cruise!????? How awful. Where on earth did this come from, we don't lock "cripples" up in " instituions " anymore!!!
People are people and everyone is entitled to cruise or vacation as they see fit for their own enjoyment.
If a person in a wc wants to cruise, and feels well enough, then that's enough for me, I'll gladly jump out of their way, because aren't I lucky that I can jump!
Old January 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM
joto

Some people either pushing strollers or wheelchairs deliberately bump into you with neither "I'm sorry or excuse me". It would be different if they either waited their turn or said wheelchair coming through, without injuring or annoying people in their hurry to be first in line.
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM
alisonr

Default Re: Re: Re: Small children

And some able bodied people do this too. I have never been run over by a stroller or a wheelchair. I would hope there are very, very few people out there who deliberately bump into you.
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Admiral

alisonr ...really! Well it is well documented that a lot of kids in strollers and people in wheelchairs do indeed run and bump into others intentionally. Although it is not widely publicized (for obvious reasons) the cruise lines are very concerned with this ever increasing trend of people in wheelchairs and kids in strollers bumping into others for their own sick amusement!

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Yeoman

Rick, I'm usually in your corner but you say "ITS WELL DOCUMENTED". Where?
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM
McCall

This guy appears to be sick to me. I am in a wheelchair, I have never bumped into anyone, but I have had three different people stop dead in their tracks, turn around and trip over me ending up in my lap. and One at Disney world that swung around with a cigerette in his hand, in a non smoking area by the way, and caught me in the face with his cigerette.
People constantly stand in your way, block doorways etc. and ignore you when you say excuse me may I get by?
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM
alisonr

Default Re: Re: Re: Small children

Yes, I would be interested in knowing where this is "well documented that a lot of kids in strollers and people in wheelchairs are running people over intentionally." This doesn't make any sense to me. Of course you will always get the odd crazy person driving a stroller, wheelchair, car, boat etc. but to suggest that there is a lot of people doing this and it is a trend seems absurd.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Admiral

I can't say more! I have said too much already!

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:05 PM
HeySailor

Um, guys, I believe Rick was joking...
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Thanks HeySailor <G>

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Yeoman

Oeki doeki. Glad we got that cleared up. I must have had a senior moment!!!!!