Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why no onboard bulletin boards?

As a guy who's taken multiple cruises as a single traveler, I've been frustrated by the difficulty of finding fellow passengers who'd like to share a cab onshore. (I'd rather compose my own shore excursion than be hauled around in a bus spending lots of time seeing things in which I have no interest, including souvenir shops probably owned by a relative of the tourguide, all at inflated prices just because the outing was arranged through the cruise line!)
On my last cruise I asked politely at the shore excursion desk if I could put up a little notice with the idea of drumming up possible interest in an excursion to a place the cruise line didn't even offer-- so they had no financial stake in discouraging me from putting up the notice-- but they told me they could never permit such a thing.
I've tried asking my tablemates, but they generally just wanna head for the nearest beach.
So it occured to me-- EUREKA! ALL CRUISE SHIPS NEED A BULLETIN BOARD!!
It would be great not just for people who, like myself, are looking to economize while doing their own thing ashore, but for anyone looking to find & meet fellow passengers with a shared interest, be it Scrabble, chess, brushing up on a foreign language, dancing-- whatever. Color-coded cards could be used for different interests & activities...or if the cruise lines think an actual bulletin board would look a little too untidy, it could be done with a computer screen & keyboard instead.
So whaddaya think? If you agree that this is a good, and NEEDED, idea, by all means leave a post-- but please, do more than that! Pass it on-- leave this suggestion on your comment card the next time you cruise! Maybe I can start a social movement here!
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Why no onboard bulletin boards?

Sounds like a great idea to me! Have the same problems traveling alone and would love to be able to hook up for ride sharing, etc. You're right, probably should be done by computer so it doesn't look like a grocery store entrance but I think it could certainly work.

You may just have revolutionalized the cruise industry singlehandedly!
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Why no onboard bulletin boards?

Sorry to burst your bubble but the cruise lines make a "lot" of money selling tours. The tours account for about 10% of their profits.

Princess is now going to run their own spas on their new ships and will drop the contracts with Steiner as they expire, another money maker for them. Steiners stock went down 25% when it was announced. You can be sure other ships will follow.
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Marina

Default Re: Re: Why no onboard bulletin boards?

its a great idea, but i dont know how. i usally look for people carrieing their snorkle gear and ask them.first timers will have already booked tours 99%of the time, but i have met up with some nice people to get a taix together to go to a snorkling spot.