Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Grammar Lesson: LOOSE vs LOSE

I am not a perfectionist (though my family says different) but I have been known to type my post in MS Word and then copy and paste them on the message boards when I am not for sure if I spelled something correct.

As for grammer - well I don't know about most people but it seems that when I am replying to a post it is more like talking to someone and I know that when I am talking to someone the grammer is not always going to be correct.
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:32 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Grammar Lesson: LOOSE vs LOSE

all boys -

I agree that a somewhat conversational tone is fine. What irritates me is when people neglect to use capitalization, punctuation, whole words (r, u, 2, 4) and generally be so lazy in their writing, that the result is something less than clear communication.

If I have to spend more than a minute trying to find out what someone is trying to say, that frustrates me. Immensely.

By the way, I've been known to spellcheck in MS Word before posting a lengthy post as well. :o)

Paradise (May 7, 2004) Eastern Carribean
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Admiral

An "utternce" is what happens when one doesn't completely depress the A on the keyboard while typing "utterance," as compred to wht I uttered when I sw the result.

Is it okay if I gripe about homonyms? For example, the first time I saw this particular page, Cruise Gripes, I thought it was about securing lifeboats!

I'm working on a limerick, Jack.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!

Post Edited (05-07-04 08:35)
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Seams to mi that sum of u peeple need hucked on fonix badlee.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Jen is probably on her way to the 'boat' right now, but I have to say that this has certainly been an interesting and entertaining post!

Sadly, I'm another that is nearly maniacal about spelling and grammar, although I'm guilty of mistakes in both.

Everyone has touched on my personal pet peeves, also, which are:

Loose vs. Lose
your vs. you're
there vs. they're
irregardless

I still have one more for the list, however:

People who end statements with a question mark.

Maybe we should form a support group of some kind?? ;-)

I know the poor spellers and "grammatically challenged" among us are insulted by our 'pickiness' regarding this, but it truly is a pretty big deal.

Typos and slips are common, understandable, and should be overlooked. Slang and acronyms are also common and mostly appropriate, or at least acceptable.

The problem is that the folks who make no effort to spell, contract, or punctuate properly make themselves look ignorant and, as a result, may not be taken seriously or may not receive the respect that they may be due.

I must admit that I'm guilty of such judgments. Those who post eloquently, or are at least mindful of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, will gain my respect more quickly than those who simply slop out a post.

It may not be fair, but it's still a fact.

I'm sure I've probably made my own grammatical mistakes in this post, but at least I
put forth a modicum of effort. That is MY way of showing respect to those who may be inclined to read my boring ramblings from time to time...

Polly

Post Edited (05-07-04 10:26)
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Don't forget imply and infer! You cannot infer anything in a statement; you must imply something, and let listeners/readers make inferences. That one is right up there with there, they're, and their.

Another one that I've noticed in the last few years is overuse of the verb, "state." The word is being robbed of its impact through its too frequent usage as a synonym for "say." Save it for use when emphasis of a quotation is necessary--that would be mostly in formal, parliamentary, or legal proceedings. For everyday speech, it's overkill.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Polly -

I'm not off to the "boat" quite yet, but thank you for your insightful statement. I too, unfortunately, find myself judging those who cannot or do not bother to make any contribution decipherable. I know that I should not do this, and it's a folly I'm working on to try to improve.

At least I take some solace in knowing I'm not alone in this character flaw. :o)

I'm just so happy that this thread made me recognize I'm not alone in my obsession. I was expecting quite a few more negative comments than were received. Overall, I'm pleased it was such a positive conversation, and hopefully it inspired some people to be mindful of what they write.

Now, off to my last class EVER (Hooray! I'm done with my Masters!), then back home to finish packing for the "boat."

Thanks, everyone!

Post Edited (05-07-04 12:56)

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Yeoman

My brother-in-law is a very brilliant man, however if you were to read a letter he writes, you would think he only went to the 8th grade. This man graduated from law school 3rd out of over 400 students, and he passed the bar exam the first time in 3 states. Fortunately he has a secretary who knows proper english and how to spell. Please don't be too quick to judge others!
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

What's a deciperable?

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Maybe Carol's lawyer can tell you....

Polly
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
First Mate

Carol -

Thanks for pointing that out. I know that one's spelling does not always reflect accurately upon one's level of intelligence, which is why I'm trying to better myself by not judging others as badly as I have in the past.

Thomas -

Thanks for pointing out my spelling error. Really! I've fixed it. :o)

Old May 7th, 2004, 01:22 PM
kathyh

pollyanna,
Like you, I'm rather meticulous about spelling and grammar. You mentioned the sentences that end with a question mark. Your example was
"Maybe we should all form a support group??"

I'll confess I do use questions marks online in such cases, because I want to emphasize that I am soliciting others' opinions in the matter. If I were speaking, I could use vocal inflection to indicate the questioning nature of the comment.

And yes, I realize I could simply say (or type) "Do you think we should all form a support group?" Somehow using the "maybe" seems to show an openness to differing opinions.

Just keep in mind that online typing really is quite different than writing a research paper or a letter to the president.

(hmmm. Now that I think about it, I believe "President" is the one instance where capitalization is used even without a specific name--unlike "the senator" vs "Senator Borst ." But I confess I am unsure!)

Having fun with all of you other nit-pickers!! :o)
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Grammar Lesson: LOOSE vs LOSE

How do you edit a post?
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Another peeve: "flaunting the law", when what is meant is "flouting the law". On the other hand, the correct one, "if ya got it, flaunt it."

"There was a knock at the door. "Whom is it?" she asked, for she had been to night school." (Not sure of the source of this classic line-- I'll have to go and look it up now! I think it was S J Perelman, but I can't rule out contemporaries of his-- Thurber, Benchley, or Dorothy Parker.)
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Beginner

What a bizarre thread. We've got the clothes police, the grammAr police, and the booze police. There are police for those who don't want kids on board, people who don't want babies in pools, and now people trying to scare off posters who occationally have trouble with spelling or grammar. Why is this board, as well as a few others, so keen on making some people feel bad, and unwelcome?

Curious... What percentage of cruisers come to these cruise boards? I hope a very low percent. I'd hate to be on a BOAT with a bunch of lemmings all trying to out-do each other with dress codes and all other things "propper".

How boring life would be if we were all so "perfect". Earlier in the thread someone pointed out how rude it is to point out another's errors. No one agreed. Someone also described a family memeber being a brilliant lawyer, who can not spell, and no one aknowledged the possibility of a person being intelligent, but not able to spell perfectly all the time.

The thread started as an simple grammar lesson, which by itself was not insultive, but quickly everyone jumped in to bash every mistake they've ever seen.

Again, why is this board trying to be so 'exclusive'? Why the need to belittle people about dress, how they spend THEIR money, and now how they spell?
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:32 PM
First Mate

The answer is simple. I would much prefer the momentary and private embarassment of having a mistake corrected in a friendly way, rather than continually suffering the more public embarassment caused by repeating the same mistake over and over.

Old May 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ash

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Cheers!

Radisson Seven Seas Mariner
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Grammar Lesson: LOOSE vs LOSE

I find the word irregardless listed in my dictionary. What makes you think it is not a word, and only regardless should be used?

Thanks,
Carol
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Passenger

It has all been said before!! Thanks Doug R
It seams to me dat de spelun and gramer on dis here mesage bord is jest gettin werse and werse. Wee hav movd beyond typogrfical errers intwo majer destrucshun of the langage.

Tanks fer listenin

Doug

Carnival Imagination
Carnival Sensation 2005
Carnival Legend 2004
Carnival Imagination 2003
Carnival Imagination 2002
Nordic Empress 2001
Carnival Pa
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:57 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar Lesson: LOOSE vs LOSE

Dictionaries reflect current usage, regardless of whether that usage makes any sense, or advances the language in any way. The fact that it is in the dictionary simply means that "irregardless" is being used; it does not mean that it is being used by thoughtful people. "Yadayadayada" appears in some dictionaries. But that doesn't mean that sensible people use it.

I fully expect "antidisirregardless" to be in the dictionary in a few years. That's because we abuse our language in stupid ways, and then justify our actions by pointing to our foolishness when it gets printed in the next edition of the dictionary.

As someone who has earned a penny here and there by the pen, I can assure you that while I use a dictionary to check spellings and find meanings, I make it my business to know what words are appropriate to the kind of communication I am crafting. That's the writer's job. I can assure you that I've never found "irregardless" to be the "mot juste" in anything I've ever written or read.
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd like to know what happened to irregular verbs like "pled" as in "He pled guilty". I think
"pleaded", while valid, sounds like a dumbed-down version. Sometime in the last few years, "pled" disappeared from news reports.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
AshleyP

Ahh, an English teacher rejoices as she realizes there were some people paying attention during class!

I concur with many of you in that my pet peeve is also the creation and common usage of words that are not really words. Some examples: irregardless, orientated (instead of oriented), and comtafer (instead of comforter).

This post made me laugh, and I think it was an appropriate place to lightly discuss this quirk. I don't think anyone meant to single out any individual or make anyone feel excluded.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Let us not forget that "ain't" is in the dictionary also.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:22 AM
First Mate

irregarless is redundant and it repeats itself!!!

I am in finance and we often refer to the differnce between two numbers as the "delta".

For example, if I was explaining why a certain procuct was more expensive to produce this year than last year, I would say "Procuct XZY cost $100 dollars to produce last year and this year it costs $105, the delta of $5 is caused by and increase in labor costs."

Well, I used to work for a man who would always say "...the delta difference is $5....it would drive me crazy!!!

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:29 AM
AR

pebbs--

Yes, I can understand your ire.

We all know that the Delta difference is actually the incremental amount charged by Delta for a ticket.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM
zazzy

This thread is great! I always go nuts when I see spelling/grammar errors... but that is because I was a teacher.

a whole nuther.... no such thing! It should be "another whole..."

alot.... actually two words "a lot"

apostrophes where they don't belong... ie "The dinner's were great" should be "dinners"

dessert is what you eat after dinner. a desert is an arid place.

dining is often misspelled... remember the rule "short before two, long before one" for vowel sounds... though dessert/desert would be one of those wonderful exeptions to the rule for which the English language is famous!

the use of "too" and "to" are often wrong! Too means also or very.

I could go on and on. I don't normally pick them out and let people know what they did wrong (unless they ask) I just sit and cringe and wonder what their mothers would say (notice mothers has not apostrophe).\

Alright, or is it all right.... no, it's "alright", I'm done!

Zazzy
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:42 AM
zazzy

whoops!! "not apostrophe"???? what was I thinking!! Better duck and cover!
Zazzy
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:07 PM
First Mate

how about these:

Are them guys going?

I don't got no money.

It don't matter.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I love country music and Garth Brooks, but I cringe everytime I hear him singing the chorus of "Unanswered Prayers".

"....Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when youíre talkiní to the man upstairs
That just because he doesnít answer doesnít mean he donít care
Some of Godís greatest gifts are unanswered prayers...."

See the third line...."he don't care".

I know its just a song, but it bothers me whenever I hear it.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:49 PM
zazzy

and what is up with saying "aksed" instead of "asked"?? At first I thought it was a cultural/racial thing but I have heard people from every culture/race using that horrendous pronunciation!!