Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Mikey Sr.

Default People who cut the buffet line.

I hate it when I'm on a long line to the buffet and someone cuts the line infront of me.They pretend not to notice the people who have been waiting patiently. The push and shove to get in and say they only need one thing and then begin to fill their plate.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: People who cut the buffet line.

Do you say something?? I ALWAYS make some comment ("excuse me, the end of the line is back THERE!). I wonder more about people who allow others to cut in and don't say something!! Why is that???

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM
my $.02

what is you just need 1 thing from the buffet, and don't want to "cruise" all the options? Is it fair to sneak in and get right back out, or should you wait at the end for that 1 item?

I always have this issue, and do wait in line for my 1 second of buffet fame!
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: People who cut the buffet line.

wait in line like everyone else does. It's only fair, no matter how many times you go back.

The Big Red Boat 1990
Imagination 2000
Holiday 2004
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but I can't agree. If the buffet line is such that there are a bunch of salad items that many people linger over and a bunch of entree items where there is no person standing, then I can see nothing wrong with walking up and getting your entree item and leaving.
However, it is very rude to step right up in front of someone who is passing through the line.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yeoman

Agree with Paul B, no harm, no foul.
SSaFWs..ED
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
rigs32

I also agree. Many times people will take what seems like forever to pick out the five pieces of fruit that they want and the only item I want to grab is empty. I'm not waiting in line for that.

However, if my plan was to cruise the entire line, I wouldn't cut in front of those waiting. That's rude.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Admiral

I don't have a problem with someone who says "excuse me, but would you mind if i just sneak in here and get some butter for my bread", or something like that.
For those extremely rude people the answer is be sweet and smile with some type of response like " Excuse me, but i believe that the end of the line is about 5 people behind me" thank-you" and close up any gaps in the line.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Pea

Princess has Horizon Court set up in "stations" (salad, entrees, breads, sides, desserts, etc) so that cutting in line shouldn't be a problem and people who only want to get certain things don't have to wait for 15 minutes to get it. But, many people find this setup condusing and complain about. It seems the cruiselines can't win either way.

Pea
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Admiral

I agree, I would have no problem letting a person in to get one item, and I would ask politely too if I could just get one thing.

Princess sounds like they have the right idea...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Only problem is that one item because 6 or 7.

The Big Red Boat 1990
Imagination 2000
Holiday 2004
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

I agree with you Mikey. The irony is that in most cases there is plenty of time so it isn't that someone is in a rush.

I don't understand why people can't seem to relax, especially when this is supposed to be their vacation.

Or if they are in a rush to get to a tour or such, they should just get up a few minutes earlier so as not to be rude or pushy. I've had an elderly lady literally push me out of the way just to get to the greasy soggy bacon. It was as if she thought I was going to eat the entire tray of bacon and I wasn't even interested in the bacon. Many times I've had people (usually elderly ladies) run their trays right up over the top of mine in an attempt to make the line go faster, I guess.

That is one reason why we usually have the sit-down breakfast whenever possible. It's nice to take a little more time and coast into the day with little or no frenzy.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

The buffet was very crowded and seating was hard to find on the Oosterdam during regular breakfast and lunch hours - we started eating lunch in the formal dining room and found that room service was a much more relaxing alternative for breakfast.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Yeoman

After three cruises, i agree that the buffet lines are like a feeding frenzy. These people act like they haven't eaten in days. My husband actually had a women come up and take the napkin off his tray that he was already holding. No expression from her, she just grabbed it and took off. We usually just wait until the frenzy calms down before we head to the line. Last day breakfast seems to be the worst. Everyone wants to get in that last "free" meal before they get off the ship. And you know the funny thing is the food really isn't that good.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
joyful

I guess I have been fortunate to not have noticed too many people trying to cut in line in front of me. The few times that someone HAS "raced" to get into line in front of me, I always alllow them to go ahead, because that is just the kind of person I am, I guess. I figure maybe they are racing the clock to get off the ship, or to meet up with someone, etc., and my getting my food two or three minutes later is not a big problem. Now, I understand that if alot of other folks do the same, that puts lots of people in line in front of me, and other passengers, which is a different story.

I have seen some folks get upset and not handle this situation in a calm and gracious manner , which is unfortunate (especially if the person genuinely did not know that the line is further back). I have a different mindset when I am on a cruise, I let more roll off my back than I normally do. I just try to maintain a relaxed attitude, and not let others' rudeness shake me, or bother me.

As far as letting someone in to just get one item, I would definately do that, and have. I have also been the one asking to get in for just one item, and have always been accommodated to do so.

One other aspect of the line thing, when we have cruised, especially with our kids, if I am in line, and they come to meet me (in the line), I make them go to the back of the line (it is one thing to have one person join you in the line, quite another to have three hungry boys getting in front of you). I have seen it where one person saves a place in line, and several join in when they are closer to the food, and other than for elderly folks who have trouble getting around, I think that that is not right.

That is my $.02, for what it is worth.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM
SLS

I'm for the stations, at breakfast time the omeletts really hold up the line and sometimes it's positioned right in the middle of the buffet.

sls
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM
David Starkey

I agree with other posters that line cutters can be a problem , but the more serious issue in buffets is seating . Finding a space to eat .( some people graze all day instead of leaving with your cup of coffee and allowing someone else a place to sit and dine). This has happend over and over again on the Celebrity ships when I have sailed . I think its a problem on most ships.
I just love eating my lunch on a tray being held on my lap as someone kicks back and has a 5th cup of coffee as they occupy a table forever.

These are most likely the same people that wait at the grocery store checkout until the bill is totaled before starting to look for the check book and ofcourse no pen.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Admiral

David i have an answer to your seating dilema, If you are alone or with just another person and you see someone sitting alone at a table for 4 or 5 simply go up to them and ask them if those seats are taken and would they mind if you joined them for breakfast or lunch. I have done this many time on board and have had it done to me. Nice way to meet nice people.
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
David Starkey

Good idea but we usually have a family of 4 traveling together.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
First Mate

I only do this when I am REALLY hungry or drunk....which is most of the time on a ship

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:18 PM
KTW35

This is a "Time" issue;pure and simple.If the person can walk up and grab their "1 item" and get out so noone is interrupted and or slowed in the process; then no biggy. I am glad the "Egg" station issue was addressed. "It is NOT part of the regular buffet line" If you want eggs DO NOT wait in the "Main" line as to take up space and upset yourself and others when you realize all you had to do was wait a MAX of a few minutes in the egg line to get your eggs.Later, Charles.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I recently returned from a cruise on the Miracle. On the last day at the breakfast buffet an individaul butted into line in front of my wife....when she made a comment about it he said what most people say when confronted.....F you! And then said that he had already been in the line once. I guess there must have been a rule change once we left port.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
Yeoman

On the Princess ships the buffet is in " stations" this is a difficult concept to some. I don't get it, I don't wait in line to go through all the stations when I only want the salad bar.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
kathyh

pg, I'm not sure what you're saying. Would you clarify please?
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Pea

Princess does not have one line for the buffet. They have serparate stations. So, if one station is busy, you can go to another to get what you need. Fruit area, salad area, bread area, several different entree areas. No need to wait in one line and consequently there are few "lines" in the buffet...but thee is a bit of confusion.

Pea
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Northy

Err... I don't think so! On my Princess ship they had a buffet line. No stations - one line either side of the Lido but one side was usually closed. That was the Royal by the way - or does it not count?
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am one who, while I don't like confrontation, would say something to someone who was not politely asking to sneak in and get one thing...no problem, in doing that...
BUT to that lady,who, if she took MY napkin, off MY tray, I would habe to track her down, give her you know what,and leave giggling....What a nut job...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 10th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Pea

Northy - Must be on the Grand class ships and up that there are separate stations. I like this, because I only eat a few things for breakfast and don't need to perused everything. Once I know where things are, I can go to that station. There is rarely a line at the fruit, bread, cereal and salad stations. There are usually three separate entree stations and many times, there are no lines there either.

Pea
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Like some people, I don't mind if someone asks to cut in to get a roll or some butter, but it really irks me when they cut in and stare at the selections, hoping that the food will change to something they like if they look at it long enough. <G>

Just one observation; on the Paradise, in order to get an omelet, you had to wait through the entire buffet line. But to make matters worse, if you wanted bacon, you had to wait after the omelet station. Therefore, many people were busting the line so that they could get bacon or toast, which was at the end of the buffet line. So maybe, passengers that are used to the set-ups on that type of Carnival ship are used to cutting in on the line to get their toast. Or maybe, they think the world revolves around them and they don't care about anyone else.....oops, I didn't mean to say that. <G>

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Yeoman

On the Grand And Golden. the buffets are set out in stations, with the actual areas on there own seperate little islands. So it is impossible to say take a tray( which there aren't anyways that I saw) and push it along a single side line all through the buffet. There are two "island " stations in the middle of the area, and then the whole side lines are a series of "islands". arranged in a oval around the centre islands.As I recall there was at least 5 or 6 seperate "buffet islands".
So it is easy to say just walk up to one of the islands where there was no line and grab one or two items. There might be a line at one of the islands that served the "hot " foods since that is where you could order an omelet , but no one was at the island with the cereal , so would you wait in the omelet line? Not me.I can only guess that some people just didn't get that they didn't have to stand behaind someone waiting for something when all they wanted was at a station with no one standing at it. JUst go and get it. I too find it frustating when people "pick " and pck at the offerings,holding up the line while they chat with their hubby/wife on whether they should try the " whatever".

Honestly, we just didn't have any problem on our last two Princess cruises with " line jumpers" , then again, we didn't have a problem with "smokers " either, and come to think of it we never noticed any "screaming packs of obnoxious children", like some posters do. I guess we are just easy going and don't sweat the small stuff cause we are just soooo happy to be on a cruise. May be that is the one good thing about NOT being able to cruise often, we never take it for granted and we don't hae incredibley high expectations for perfection.We just love it!