Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors!

Had a great balcony room on our last cruise! Unfortunately, both our neighbors were TERRIBLE! Throughout the cruise, my hubby and I would refer to them as "Yee" (neighbors on the left) and "Haw" (neighbors on the right).

Every morning, before even 6:30 AM, they would be out on their balconies, yelling, slamming doors, and being loud. "Yee" on the left always had very loud conversations of a... well... disgusting adult nature. For example, one of the yelled conversations started out, " 'member the time we got really ****ed at that thar bar an' I went home with that guy I didn't even know and we....?" (Well, you get the picture!)

It was quite tempting for hubby and I to make up a loud conversation of our own, like "Remember that swingers party we went to, when they brought out the shower curtain and the Crisco and the shaved chahuahua...?" (We refrained from stooping to such a level, though, in consideration of the people below us!)

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors!

what a horrible ordeal... some people have no class
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Some people just don't care because they feel it's "their vacation" when in all reality it's everyone on that ships vacation. I have be very lucky as to never had bad neighbors at all. Only drunks going down the hall trying to find their rooms at 4 am. I am also considerate of my neighbors, as I don't yell at my husband if he makes me angry, I just hold it in till we get back to our truck. (Just Joking). But anyway, I always keep my tv low and I try to be careful closing drawers and doors. You can be surprise how someone can slam their cabin door 10 doors down and it will seem if its right next to you.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Folks, just because someone can afford a cruise ticket doesn't mean they have any common sense to take along on the cruise.
A long time ago I mentioned people slamming their doors and drew lots of flack over it
but I still have to say, it doesn't take any brains to close a cabin door softly so as to not disturb your neighbors, especially late at night or early a.m.
Just a little respect is all it takes.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I've had problems w/inconsiderate neighbors on the ships, and that's what security is for! With all of the lounges and other areas, no need for someone to have a loud party in their cabin at 3a!

Some people just need a little reminding...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We had the same problem on our Radiance cruise, but these people were up at all hours of the day, one night they didn't go to sleep until 5AM.....its just hard for me to understand how people can be so un-considerate of others, its not just their vacation.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
First Mate

I'm not saying that its right to keep up your neighbors with loud partys but has anyone thought that some of these people who stay up until all hours of the night or should I say morning might people who work the overnight shift?So what is late to "US" is really the middle of the day to them. I only say that because when I was a kid I would see my next door neighbor outside cutting the grass or doing whatever and drinking a beer and I said to my dad one day boy Mr. Nolan drinks alot, he drinks when he first wakes up and thats the day when my dad taught me not to judge a book by its cover.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Yeah, my brother in law works the midnight shift at his job and when we went on a cruise together he was falling asleep at lunch. In the afternoon he could not stay awake and slept, usually through dinner but at 11:00 he was raring to go.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
First Mate

That is when you fill out the breakfast in bed menu for 6 am. Load it up, and put it on their door knob. Or you call secruity and tell them a woman is creaming and you are concerned for her safety.
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I guess I've been lucky - never had noisy neighbors on a cruise. However, I am looking foward to getting away from my noisy land neighbors for a week on the Inspriation.

Old April 24th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Tom,

I have no problem with people staying up 24 hours a day and partying if they want to, but take it outside or to a lounge! Loud screeching and drunken people in their cabin is not the place to be....not like that's the only place to go!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Texasmunk,if a woman is creaming,don't call security,they're already coming.
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM
First Mate

Jean S I know that I said it wasn't ok to keep up your neighbors with loud partys.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Tom, and believe me, I know about different shifts and hours of the day! I've worked just about every shift there is....

On one job, I arrived at 4a to start work and for the night guy, it was his lunch time... he was being very sweet when he offered me part of his tuna sandwich, but I just said "no thanks, I just had a nice bowl of cereal!" So it certainly is all in your outlook.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM
TexCroozer

LMAO DisneyJag.........."shaved chihuahua".... quite the imagination you have there! TOO FUNNY!!!
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Gilligan I was thinking the same thing when I read Texas's comment!
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Kar06

As was I...

Never had bad neighbors on any cruises, thanfully!

My BF works the 12 AM - 8 AM shift and was practically falling asleep when we went out to dinner at 7 PM the other night, .
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TheSeaCruzer Send a message via Yahoo to TheSeaCruzer

Lets also lump into this category the nosey neighbors. We were on a cruise once where we were at the last minute up-graded to a suite. (Family of 4 in a 450sf suite still can be cramped.)
The couple next to us appreantly assumed that because we had all that extra room they should come over and enjoy it. While we were on our balcony they would try to converse with us and invte themselves over. Day after day it was the same routiene. Sometimes they would catch us in the hall and walk with us to the rooms - we nearly had to shut our door in their faces to keep them out. One afternoon we even caught them leaning over the railing trying to peek in.
We eventualy began to ignore their comments and they changed their attitude - we begain hearing comments such as "I guess because their in a suite there just too good for us common foke" - we just ignored that as well and had a great time any way.
Moral of the story - try not to let the little things ruen the fun of a wonderful cruise.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Admiral

ear plugs work wonders also. There isn't much you can do about what folks do in their cabins, but if they are running up and down the halls at all hours screaming (for example) that's what security is for.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default Re: Re: Rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors!

Lisa K...

Yes, earplugs do work. Except..as far as I'm concerned..one of the best things about having a balcony room is being able to prop the door open, just a bit, when I go to bed and fall asleep to the sound of the ship swooshing thru the water. Almost like waves. Very relaxing.

Now, if I was in a room without a balcony...I would definately use the earplugs.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Rude, loud, obnoxious neighbors!

Hopefully my husband, children and I don't keep you up - we're on your cruise!

Old May 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Ok I posted on this topic the day before I cruised and this is what happened to us while we cruised. One of our neighbors got up every morning at 4:30 am. Slamming closet doors, drawers, bathroom doors, talking at the top of their lungs etc. I woke up each and every time but I didn't complain or say nothing. Well, we went to a show and then in the room at 9:50 pm to change into comfrontable clothes and then watch tv until the midnight buffet. Well, I was in the bathroom changing when my hubby and our friend told me to hurry up and come see on the tv, they was showing the video where my hubby had been brought on stage with 4 other guys and dressed as a woman. Well, we was laughing, neither of us had been drinking and I am the only one who actually drinks the other 2 don't at all, so we wasn't like drunks make fools out of ourselves, just having a hearthy laugh. Well, the whole thing lasted like 5 or 10 minutes on tv and then KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Security tells us the neighbors said to shut up and turn the tv off because they are sleeping. I kid you not, this is the truth. I told the guard that these people had us up at 4:30 every morning and I never complained. I went down to the persuers desk and explained why I was upset and he agreed. Now I know some noise is aggravating when you are sleeping but for Gods sake at 10 pm on a FUN SHIP you don't tell your neighbors to shut up from laughing for a few minutes at tv and then to turn the tv off. I paid for my room just as they did. I never saw those people but wished I had because I would have told them off for trying to ruin our vacation. I didn't let it and just to clear things up before someone tries to defend it this happened on the night where the next morning was a fun day at sea and all ports had been visited so it wasn't like anyone had to get up for something. AND they did get up at 4:30 am making noise that morning again, I didn't call anyone because I wouldn't stoop to their level. So if they read this, next time take Royal Carribean or any other ship but don't book on a FUN SHIP if you are going to complain about tv and lauging at 10 pm.

Old May 9th, 2004, 09:39 PM
SLS

Earplugs don't work for me, I have ringing in the ears and it just amplifies it.

I've worked lots of different work shifts including rotating ones and just learned to gut it out.

sls
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Admiral

we were lucky enough to get 2 rooms at the aft of the ship... but my son had "neighbors" that fought like cats & dogs the whole time.... all hours of the day... our first port the people missed the ship !!! !! my son had peace & quiet for a short time ! The night before debarkation, I was going to the pursers office @ 2:15 am and one of the "neighbors" was staggering to her room tripping over the luggage not yet picked up... she asked me is it midnight yet ? when do they pick up these bags ? I told her it was after 2 am & most of the luggage had already left.... we wont be missing those neighbors !
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:28 AM
SLS

Aren't you glad you don't live next door to those people at home. Sounds like they were ugly drunks.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've really got it bad: I've never suffered from rude noisy neighbors on a cruise-- but some of the stuff I've heard from the ugly drunks in the apartment across the hall would singe your hair! I think I'll move out soon...and of course, it wouldn't hurt to take another cruise, either.