Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default question about onboard gripes

I have a question for cruisers that have been around...
On the occations that people are smoking where they shouldn't, hogging chairs when it's rude, letting kids take up entire hot tubs cannon balling, and the like... what does the crew do? I don't mean in general, I mean if you ask them to do something about said disturbance? If I'm in a non smoking area and someone is smoking, sure, I myself would say, excuse me, but this is a non...etc etc.... If the person continued I think I would at least find a crew memeber and ask them the policy, if I was correct, I would then ask the policy be enforced.
Am I kidding myself thinking these things can be fixed? I ask because the above mentioned gripes seem to come up a LOT and I just wondered are we sort of 'on our own' with no "law of order" while on ship? Now, I'm not implying to throw anyone in the brigg if their child cannon balls the hot tub or I can't get a lounge chair all day, I'm just wondering if the crew gets involved in ensuring all policies are enforced? I have yet to cruise, but I am booked, and enjoying this board for it's wealth of info.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: question about onboard gripes

I don' know about the minor disturbances, but I have seen an unruly drunk put in PC for the night. Taken away in 'cuffs and locked in the ships brig. He had been shut off earlier and was warned to stay in his cabin until he slept it off, but with his attitude we knew he'd be back. I never saw him again so they might have held him until the cruise was over.
Old January 24th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Last November on the Maasdam, a trio of ladies left their belongings on their deck chairs by the pool for quite some time - over 2 hours. They apparently did more than just eat a quick lunch at the Lido as they were gone so long.

About 15 minutes after they returned, a young woman in a white uniform - purser or cruise director's staff, I assume - came over and talked to them. I did not hear any of the conversation as I was across the pool from them, but later spoke with one of them in the pool. The woman was very indignant - apparently the staff member reminded them that saving chairs was not appropriate and that she was very "rude". She said she would make note of it on her comment card.

Not knowing the tone of the staff members' conversation, I can't say if she was rude or not. but I do think she was right to say something to the women.

In 20 plus cruises, this was only the second time I'd seen anyone approached by a staff member.

So, I guess we have to rely on "the kindness of strangers".

Bon Voyage!
Old January 24th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Crew are placed in a very bad position over these things. As you can see from the previous poster no matter how nice a crew tries to be many get very indignant that anyone says anything to them. If you point out something to a crewmember that is obviously against the rules they will try and politely inform the offending party. This is the proper thing to do but I personally would be right there to back up the poor crewman in case he takes a tonguelashing. I personally have no problem politely informing someone they are breaking rules. Mostly they are pretty good about it cvoming from another passenger if you are nice about it. Of course you have the nasty ones and then you get firm with them and get a security person. <G>
Jim

Old January 25th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Admiral

I'm with Jim. If you talk politely and respectfully to people, you will mostly get the same in return. if not, grab a staff member.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Passenger

I wonder if there was a designated "Patrol" person that had the assignment to enforce ship rules would work. Other than the service crew who we want as a paying customer to be the nice guy. Instead of the passenger blaming their inappropriate behavior to the nice guy, the patrol person could answer , "This is my job Sir or Madam, your infraction is witnessed and documented. , Here is your response card to complete if needed." Maybe being handed an embarasssing Red card in public may cause people to think and not be so selfish in the future.
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM
McCall

I think a lot of people either feel "someone" should do something and they do nothing or they ask a waiter or some such person to Do Something. When they should be grabbing and officer or a security person. Also depending on where the infraction is and the nature of it, they should be contacting the hotel manager or the food services manager or the Cruise director or the head housekeeper etc.
My daughter and I had a problem on one of our cruises that threatened to get out of hand, started with hotel manager and went all the way to the Captain. But it got resolved.

If more people would take inititive to get the rules enforced they would be, and there would be a lot less for people to complain about, unless of course it is the rule breakers complaining in which case WHO CARES!
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Admiral

SueSue, I like your idea. It's like being told you got an F in front of the class. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)