Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Bad ship/good cruise

Years ago on the Tropicale, we had a cruise which was less then what we expected..We booked an Easter cruise. This ship has a southern itinerary and we were due in Guadaloupe on Easter Monday, a beach holiday in the French Carib....Carnival never cared to share this info, when they sold excursions, so people thought they could do their own thing when they docked..WRONG !! There were few cabs at the dock, since most people were at the beach, so if you didn't get off the ship early to claim one, too bad....When word got around the ship, that the island was basically closed, there was almost a mutiny....

There was a very , very large group of non English speaking people onboard, with very unruly children, the crew ,when trying to speak to the parents about this, needed to get someone who could speak the language, which needless to say, delayed the situation.
The kids would run screaming down the showroom aisle, saving all the seats at the front, till thier parents, fashionably late, would, take the seats..Several times the kids, would ACTUALLY climb on the stage, while the entertainer was performing...The crew was worthless in controlling this mob....

These problems WERE disconcerting, and other small problems also arose during this cruise, complaints were lodged, and I have to say, we enjoyed this cruise DESPITE the ship, and the crew....

A word to the purser, a letter, short and to the point without hysteria to the cruiseline, can do the trick to alleviate your angst, and maybe an apologetic letter with a promise of a discount for a future cruise, may make you feel better..Everyone reacts differently to things....What maybe YOUR problem, may NOT be mine...You can listen, agree or disagree and continue on your cruise, happy or miserable...thats up to you....Everyone has the right to an opinion....Trip/Monday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Bad ship/good cruise

On the Sky Princess in 1995, we never left the dock in Lauderdale. Everyone was unpacked, muster was over, just waiting to sail when the captain announced there was a propeller problem and it would be unsafe to travel to the Panama Canal - or anywhere at all.

People became unruly, greedy, unreasonable. Princess did a wonderful job with many freebies, credits, free cruises, phone calls, hotels, re-arranging - everything was done first class but some people did not get the concept that it was for our own good.

Upon return (I did manage to book another cruise on the Norway 5 days later), I sent Princess a letter praising the staff and crew for their handling of the unhappy mob. They replied with a letter of appreciation, explaining that 95% of the letters they had received from that "non-cruise" were downright nasty.

They also sent me a beautiful World Atlas, engraved with the Princess logo and my name - in gold! I use the atlas often and it is a reminder that a lot more can be accomplished by understanding and kindness than anger and rudeness.

P.S. The next cruise, which was free, I was upgraded to a suite (1 person!), $250.00 shipboard credit and many other kindnesses. You mother was right - "do unto others....."
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

Too bad about that cruise, belgique, but like you said, at least they made up for it. You mean some people would rather have sailed with the bad propeller and have the ship end up sinking or something? Yikes!

Old January 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM
HeySailor

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they demand to fly on the plane or sail on the ship despite mechanical difficulties. Do they think airlines and cruiselines have giant empty planes/vessels just waiting to be used as stand-ins should something go wrong with another plane or ship?
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I had done that itinerary 6 months earlier and reminded a lot of people that the announcement about the propeller would have been a hell of a lot scarier at 1:00 a.m. off the coast of Costa Rica.

Some were not as flexible with their travel plans as I was but, as you say, it sure wasn't a planned cancellation.