Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

I would LOVE to sit at a table for 2, unfortunately my much loved husband of 50+ years has died of cancer, a very difficult and agonising death here in this room, and I nursed him 24 hours a day 7 days a week. His last week he was in terrible agony, blind, unable to swallow even water , had total paralysis. Your remark was hurtful and unecessary

I do not have exceptional health at 78 who does? However I still do not think I have a RIGHT to INFLICT my health needs onto people who just happened to have been placed at my table for breakfast due top open seating. A little thought is all it takes

I wear long skrts or pants, because my legs are not good to look at, due to polio, I do not discuss why I wear long skirts, or why I do not go to the pool , or the number of days I have to "rest in bed" when my heart acts up.

I go on cruise to enjoy the trip, not to dwell on the fact that I might die during the course of that day or night. even though I do carry the necessary instructions "just in case" no one else has to have that knowledge thrust at them with their eggs and has browns

I will continue to take my pills in private, in order to follow the maxim "Treat others as you would wish them to treat you." Perhaps you should think on that .
Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

Evelyn how does taking a pill at dinner equate with " inflicting " anyone with your health issues. I agree( as do most posters) that a long explaination was not neccesary.
You need to treat yourself with a bit more leeway. No one would think less of you for taking your meds at the table. Why do you need to be so hard on yourself( and others)
As for your legs, it is fine that you prefer not to show them, but most people would not care if you did, most legs on a cruise are either too fat or too thin or have varicsoe veins. Not a pretty sight, but no one cares, most people just want to have fun and relax.
I can see you are in a lot of pain after having suffering along with your late hubby, but please don't be so hard on yourself or others.
It is sad to think that you feel that you really think that " treat others as you would have them treat you" means showing no weakness. We are all just human, and no one is perfect, trying to project that image is more damaging to the psyhe, then admitting we ALL have issues.
Most cruisers are nice people, relax and have fun on your next cruise.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pardon me for butting in but I'm getting the feeling that the pill taking isn't the real issue. It seems to me that the issue is really the commentary that accompanied each pill. If ones health depended on taking "20" pills with dinner would that be an issue? I think not. Would everyone prefer dinner companions that belch, chew with their mouth open, lecture incessantly about their politcal views hold prayer meetings at the table. Oh heres one: sniff everyting on his fork before he puts it in his mouth. And I'm talking about everytime he lifted his fork to his mouth. It just proves that being table mated with people whose life styles/ideas/converstional preferences can leave a lot to be desired. But alas, it goes both ways. I myself am perfect and cruisers line up to share a dinner table with me to bask in the grace of my presence and to share in my witty repartee. That being said, Carnival is preparing a schedule to accomodate to accomodate as many passengers as possible to dine with me on my next cruise. Please see the purser upon embarkation Anyone want to be the first to sign up?
Arlene
Houston, TX
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Dear Evelyn,

I have to disagree about your comment that people are exhibitionist that take pills at the Dining Room Table.

I have a daughter with cystic fibrosis who takes over 40 pills a day. When she was a baby we would put the meds into apple sauce. When she was about 2 years old she learned to swallow the meds. When we cruise she takes some of the meds in the room but some she has to take everytime she eats food. Years ago children with cystic fibrosis often didn't live to be a teenager. Fortunately these medications have extended the life of children with cystic fibrosis.

My daughter is not an exhibitionist. I have taught her to be confident and never to be embarrassed that she has to take meds. When I give her the pills at the dining room table some people will comment and some don't. Often a converation will start and we have made a friendship for the duration of the cruise.

Evelyn, enjoy your cruises and the people you meet. Embrace the differences we all have and be happy you are healthy and financially able to go on cruises.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Honestly, if this really bothers you sssoooo much look the other way!
Old November 20th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Mateli

Some people wont change their habit for the time of a cruise so let go and do as if nothing happen,don't ruin your cruise or change table. Happy cruising again.Mateli
Old November 20th, 2004, 03:44 PM
jps

I don't want to hear a running commentary about your vitamins or your meds.... but if you take them at my table, I am not the least bit bothered. If you had to turn up the insulin pump a notch or two because you ate certain foods, no big deal....

If my daughter needs to use an inhaler because someone is smoking nearby, is that offensive? I think no, although making a big production about would be rude.

It is the commentary and the production that could be viewed "exhibitionist" or attention seeking, NOT the taking of your meds with your meal.... IMHO.
Old November 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Admiral

I guess it would bother me if someone was taking ****** at the table :o) TTFN Jennifer
Old November 20th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Jen thats out of order...I cant stand for that !!!

But imagine the magic tricks, no hands and a table cloth
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Glenda Madrid

I think this is a matter of judgment. I take insulin shots before meals, and as many of you know these have to be taken no more than 10-15 minutes before eating. I may just take my sugar and inject myself at the table - it depends on who I'm with, and the kind of restaurant it is, and if I can do this unobtrusively. Sometimes if I'm with a new friend, and others may not see it but she obviously would, I will ask if it will bother her.

While on a cruise, I would never do it in front of others. These are people I don't know, and I don't want to turn off someone who is squeamish with my medical needs. I go to the restroom after I have ordered. I have been known, however, to inject myself if I am at a table for two, and can do it unobtrusively. To cut down on all the paraphenalia, I take my sugar in the cabin, and then just take the syringe and insulin in my bag to the table. I
certainly don't want to call attention to myself, and will put up with a bit of inconvenience to myself for the sake of "good taste".

If I had to take pills within a few minutes of eating, I would not hesitate to take them at the table. Again, its a matter of being quick and as unobtrusive as possible. Not impinging on others.
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM
Admiral

DavidB - Huh? I don't understand what you are talking about - (says she tongue firmly planted in cheek and adjusting the tilt of her halo!) I take pills with meals too - but I do it as quietly as possible. I also use an inhaler - but i would excuse myself and head to the head - definately not at the dinner table unless I was at risk of a major asthma attack. I think many want to be looked at so you will ask the obvious - they love to talk about their various medical conditions. Me - my body parts and lack thereof and general state of repair are my own business. But I do have a great hysterectomy story if you are interested - lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:26 AM
Reen

Who cares if your table mates take their medication at the table. Some you must take with food. That is the stupidest gripe I ever saw here! Get a life and enjoy your cruise.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm hysterical here...just spent 20 minutes reading these gripes...and everyone had great comments....
My only addition is....how many times have you been offended?
and if so, did it change your life? Maybe just gave you another story to tell of a life experience....and another memory.
What ever happened to patience, compassion, and 'there but for the grace of God go I?'
Nobody is going to change anyone's habits...some love to show off their afflictions, some try to hide them....
I deal with Seniors daily and get these stories all day long....including how many prunes it takes for nature to perform....
Bless all of those who are on meds and have the guts to take a cruise and still enjoy life, instead of being holed up in their condos/homes.......have another drink...whatever anyone says about each pill won't mean a thing lol....
Thanks for being there...all of you....I'm a cruiser but learn from each of you....mostly that you're a pretty damm good group of people!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Admiral

As I've said before. I have no problem with people pill popping at dinner, but I draw my line at suppositories,,,,,puts you right off the pudding <g>
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Glenda Madrid

I'm really surprised no one commented on my insulin-injecting. I would have thought that would really have turned people off, and they would have let me have it! As I said, I try to be unobtrusive about it, but it is possible someone might see me..........to me, thats much more unusual than taking a few pills. Didn't I offend any of you? Geeze - this board is getting tame..........possibly if a lot of you had chimed in and said, "oh, how gross!" I might have considered going to the restroom every time...... you all must be more tolerant than I thought.......
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Glenda - are you lookin' for trouble? lol. The fact that you said you were unobtrusive said it all. If you flipped up your shirt over your head, had the syringe laid out on the table - and swore like a sailor when you gave yourself your jab - yes that would be a problem. But I don"t imagine that would be your style. We are very tolerant - just not tame. Give us a good gripe and we run with it ..... some of us run on and on :o) - not naming any names But it is all in good fun! Diabetes is serious business - you gotta do what you gotta do or suffer the consequences. Now did you want to hear about my hysterectomy or not - geez!!! TTFN Jennifer
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Glenda I work with several ppl that "shoot up" in the lunch room! I just turn my head! But then I turn my head when I shoot up too!! Ouch! I cant stand the sight of needles!! Bless you!
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Passenger

Geez Louise - what's with you folks? We're leaving on our first cruise next Sat. and y'all sound like this is going to be the geriatric pill cruise from hell! Take your meds discreetly, eat your dinner, and enjoy yourselves/ spouses/ destinations. Keeping yourselves healthy is an obligation to YOURSELF firstly, your spouse/ companion secondly, and your cruising acquaintances can take hind teat as long as you are gracious enough not to expire at the dinner table. Especially on Formal Night. Lord forfend we wind up at a table with scary pill-poppers, but if we do, I guess I have enough self confidence to politely request that the scary pill-poppers exercise some discretion as far as inviting everyone at the table into their medical woes. "Politically correct" is not a pseudonym for "let the obnoxious run all over you". If your table companions disrupt the joy of the evening, call the Maitre'd and request another table. You'd do that if you were dining in your own city, wouldn't you? Not to rant or anything, but really, I don't care to spend quality dining time with self-absorbed folk when there are so many interesting people to get to know. Although this is our first cruise, we travel a great deal and have have met up with plenty of great companions as well as those who, well, need to fall off the face of the earth. Enjoy, relax, be open and tolerant - but change your situation if you are not happy! There is no such thing as "it can't be done" in the hospitality industry, even if it is a ship.
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Caroline, what is it with us folks, well most of us are seasoned cruisers and gripers, that says it all really.

You are going off on your first cruise, enjoy it, make your own mind up from what you see and experience.

Most of the stuff posted on Gripes (apart from a few) is with fingers crossed,.

What some people say here and how they actually react in real life can be miles apart...but at that dinner table you will know who you want to spend time or conversation with,,and who you will avoid

But hey that's everyday life
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Zack

I think we should blame actor Red Buttons for this whole pill popping at the dinner table thingy. He made it popular on the Titanic Movie made in the 70’s that starred Gene Hackman and Shelly Winters.

Good or bad, I’ve seen worse things at the table than that. Let the small stuff slide.
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Corvettebebe

Jeez, does that mean I can't clean my teeth at the table or adjust my hearing aids!!
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Zack

Oooops! Per the above It was The Poseidon Adventure, not the Titanic.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM
quitecontrary

hee hee
Old January 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

Look, the lady with the pills was probably talking so much about it because she was embarrassed about having to take them. She was (I'm guessing) probably in her later years and probably doesn't have a lot of other folks around during the day or at her meals.

I remember when I was a cable tv service tech and my senior customers would follow me all around the house while I worked just a chattin' away. The just liked haveing someone to talk to. I usually learned allllllllllllll about them, their families, there health, etc. Just something to think about.

As for the ****** comment.........I took one once and it got stuck in my throat so all I got was a stiff neck !! I tried it again but somehow got it stuck in my ear and now i'm hard of hearing !

My boss took one and the only thing that happened was he got taller!

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Too funny - I'll have to jot down your ****** one-liners before they disappear - "keep up" the good work - pun intended. ttfn Jennifer
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

It's not easy "coming up" with them

it's "hard" work

you really have to take a "hard" look at the situation

sometimes if you drink "hard" liquor

but there is one hard and fast rule

but these words are hard to justify on a family board

the CM board has taken a hard line on this one

it's hardly worth it for me

I'm not a "hardened" criminal

so no 'hard' feelings to anyone

on that note, here's a little joke:

A husband and wife are having dinner at a fine restaurant when this
absolutely stunning young woman comes over to their table, gives the
husband
a big open-mouthed kiss, then says she'll see him later and walks away.

The wife glares at her husband and says, "Who the hell was that?"
"Oh," replies the husband, "she's my mistress."
"Well, that's the last straw," says the wife. "I've had enough, I want
divorce."

"I can understand that," replies her husband, "but remember, if we get a
divorce it will mean no more shopping trips to Paris, no more wintering in
Barbados, no more summers in Tuscany, no more Infiniti or Lexus in the
garage, and no more yacht club. "But the decision is yours."

Just then, a mutual friend enters the restaurant with a gorgeous babe on
his
arm.

"Who's that woman with Jim?" asks the wife.

"That's his mistress," says her husband.

"Ours is prettier," she replies.

cheers!
banker
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Zack

I guess you all have heard that they are now making ****** in a liquid form. It gives a whole new meaning to the phase “pouring yourself a stiff one”.
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

banker you are too much!!!!! You are so funny. keep up the good work and I'll keep laughing

Old January 31st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ready to go

My 18 year old daughter also has CF and she too takes vast quantities of pills when she eats, albeit discreetly. While it irks me a bit to have others make negative comments about this ("Don't you know that taking drugs is bad for you? You shouldn't have to take pills at your age! All those vitamins (?) can't be good for you!" etc.), I have chosen to take the opportunity to educate them a bit about CF. It's far more polite than telling them to put their cereal box medical degrees where the sun doesn't shine, !

Kerry