Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

yeah Kerry, I think that is either ignorant or insensitive. I assume that if someone is taking pills right before they eat, they really need to.

banker
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Kerry - I think I would have given them the "sun doesn't shine" retort! You must have great self control. What do they think an 18 year old would be taking all those pils for - some people! Our daughter had md (we lost her in 2002 at 17). When new people moved in next door, the woman came over and informed us she didn't need to be in a wheelchair at all - if she just took more vitamins she could walk on her own! Honest truth! It would be a far better world if people would mind their own business. No one should have to explain themselves for what is obviously a medical matter. Good luck to your daughter - give her a hug for me. TTFN Jennifer
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
newmexiconita

I do think it's a bit tacky to pull out the old pill box and make an issue out of how many pills we take each day or meal, but I would certainly not let it bother me for heavens sake.

NMnita
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:36 PM
Glenda Madrid

Doesn't it just come down to (again) consideration for others and not airing one's personal business with strangers? Seems elementary to me, that even if you take pills at the dinner table, you would not discuss them! You would not apologize, or describe, or call attention in any way. If someone is so rude as to ask what you are taking, a simple, "oh, just some meds I need to take at this time" will suffice. I just don't get why people share personal matters with strangers.

What happend to, "its a lovely (or lousy - or rainy) day today, isn't it? Or, its a lovely dining room isn't it? I see nothing wrong with "where are you from", and "have you taken other cruises " as opening conversation gambits, but beyond that - its not your business.

But then, that gets back to making polite conversation with others in a forced dining situation. As I have said on other threads, thats not my thing. And others have said how much they enjoy their conversations with others at the table. so there you are - to each his own.
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Evelyn Richardon

Default Re: Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

I hope this is the last post on this subject.

For those whome it may concern"-

I am very much a senior - in fact when I said to a neighbour that I had booked for Jan 2006, she pointed out that "at your age you could be dead by then"!!!!

I too have medical needs that require pills, and the manufactureres blurb says all sorts of "when to take and how to take" - BUT last year when I spent 10 days in hospital I discovered that the staff didn't take a snowball in hells notice of the manufactureers instructions. I GOT MY PILLS WHENEVER IT SUITED THE STAFF TO GIVE THEM! - This applied to every one else on the floor regardless of what the pills were.
Sometime it was at mid morning, sometime mid afternoon, some time late at night.

I spoke to the doctors and was told , those directions are for use AT HOME, they are not carved in stone, it would be impossible for the staff to follow all the diffierent schedules in a PUBLIC PLACE. It is getting the medictions that do the work ,not the time of day when they are taken..unless they "fight with each other"

So I take my medictions IN PRIVATE, and I DO NOT DISCUSS MY AILMENTS on board, we are all there for a pleaseant time , my body's failings is no one business by my own- or the ships doctor should I drop dead on board, - I carry medical records and my wishes for disposal of remains because it could happen , I might die tonight , or I might live to make that trip in 2006. Meanwhile I will enjoy the three cruises I have booked for this year, and hope those misery warts obsessed with the worikngs of their inards choose others to bore to death - I am too busy staying alive to be inserested in their whining.
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Evelyn - with your positive attitude it sounds like you have several good years left - you go girlfriend, and enjoy your cruises. My Mom is one of those "misery warts" and starts off every phone conversation with a litany of aches and pains. But I fooled her this year - I broke my shoullder in three places - so I get my complaints in first lol. ttfn Jennifer
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
newmexicoNita

Evelyn, you have the right attitude and Jennifer, I have friends like your mom; some people just don't realize we don't want to have every problem explained to us in detail. I have a friend, a wonderful friend that can't get this through her head. I would rather not know the details of your tummy ache this morning or what your lungs are filled with; I don't care how many pills you take or what they are for, but I still wouldn't let it bother me if you took all of them at the table. I will just shut you out!!! NMnita