Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Take your pills in private before you eat

On a recent cruise I grew tired of the endless pulling out of packets of pills and vitamins at the table. With one couple she dished them out "one red one for you one red one for me etc etc ( for a total of twenty pills) accompanied by explanations to the rest of us re
the chemical makeup of each pill and its purpose.

I know the bottle says take with food,- but they can be taken in private BEFORE you sit down. I know,- I have to take heart medication but I always take it in my cabin and then go straight to eat. My health is no ones elses' concern or problem.

Personally I think people who pull out all these at the table are simply exhibitionists
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:38 PM
mr cheesewiz

Default Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

Too bad that they weren't taking sleeping pills
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
Admiral

That's a little harsh isn't it? While I know there are those that revel in how 'ill' they are there are others that quitely take their required medications when they are supposed to which in some cases means 'with food' and not 'before food'. Some of the meds I take require this simply because they act rather strongly against the lining of the stomach if you don't have food in there. Rest assured I do not line them up on the table nor do I discuss them but I am also not ashamed of it either. They keep me alive and moving! <G>
Jim

Jim

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

If you won't complain about my pills, then I won't complain about something you do!

Live and let live!
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Evelyn - as a nurse, I can tell you that there are some medications that absolutely must be taken with food or it will cause GI bleeding or other complications. To make a broad statement as yours is irresponsible.

While there are some people who are "exhibitionists" regarding their medications; there are many who do it discretely (or maybe not so discretely) that MUST take their medications at that time. And let's think about it....before I sit down...that means I have to do it before I enter the dining room, then I have to wait at least 15 - 30 minutes before the first piece of food is put in front of me - in that time, the damage could be done. Give most of us a break!

Old February 4th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rayo

Well said Evelyn.

As usual with this type of gripe, others go off at a tangent to protect the rights of those that are intruding on others rights. Pills can be sorted out before reaching the table and there doesn't need to be a running commentary. Comment on that rather than the medical bit. Most people are too polite to tell them to shut up.

I'm sure some people have colostomy bags and take them to the dining room as it would be difficult to leave them behind, but I wouldn't expect the bag to be slapped on the table and a commentary given as to the contents.

I'm sure we can all think of other less extreme examples, but the basic ethos is don't force your baggage onto me while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner, or at any other time for that matter.

Medical talk could perhaps be a subject added to the "don't talk about politics and religion" saying - add medical ailments, medication, flatulence, children, or even worse grandchildren, your view on anything etc., with the caveat of " unless I show the remotest bit of interest", which I often do, but that should be my choice.

rayo
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:11 AM
pg,

Jim Bragg, good post. Others, take a pill !!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rayo

Wow pg, that really advanced the discussion. Your post has a certain brief quality about it.

That's a bit like the Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert reads an email requesting people not to respond to emails unless they have something to add. Dilbert clicks the "reply to all" button and type "I agree". also

rayo
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Evelyn- Did you have a bad day that day -- or are you always that grumpy? I would have laughed it off. I have to admit that the women was extreme -- but to use it as an outright condemnation of those of us who have to take pills during mealtime is even more extreme. I have taken medications with meals discreetly for years and never once have been informed that I offended anyone. In fact, I would venture that 99.9% of the time no one noticed and the other 0.1% of the time no one cared. This post is proof positive that these days some people go out of their way to be offended.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, have to disagree with this one. Of course, the discussion of the medications I could do without. But if I'm at dinner and I feel a migraine coming on, I'm going to pop the pill. Discreetly, of course.
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

PG said it best. Brevity remains the soul of wit, and truth.

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:47 PM
steve777

Correct me if I'm wrong ....

but: while I agree that the whole "let me tell you all about each pill" aspect of the discussion is ineed a pill ... at the end of the day we're talkin' about taking a pill .. not taking an enema. How offensive can that be?

On the other hand, given some of the posts one sees here .. that enema might not be a bad idea!

Cheers,
Steve
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evelyn Richardson

As stated these two people lined up 20 (TWENTY) pils , I cannot believe that they were all medically prescribed by their doctor. What doctor orders a patient to take 10 pills all at once?

My heart pills (prescribed) say "take with food or milk" It is easy to order a glass of milk at say 8am from the breakfast room service menu. in order to take my prescibed medication in private. There are many "free" food areas on a ship where one can get a snack (muffin ) with which to take their pills in private. Later in the day. I also order a glass of milk for 5.30pm from room service in order to take my pill before early seating dinner.

It is not necessary to take any pill - or vitamin by the clock to the exact second. In fact if you are unfortunate to be hospitalised you know you are given the pils WITHOUT FOOD at a time that suits the hospitals /nurses routine. That was certainly my experience a few months ago . I doubt that I would have been listened to if I had demanded a glass of milk let alone food with which to take my medication regardless of what the package said.
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
jamiegunter

It may of been a certain time of day they needed to take their medications.
My mother has to take her diabetes meds at certain time with food.
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Asealady

I also take my diabetes meds with food, otherwise I get ill. I just take them at the dining room table at all meals. No one ever talked to me about my health and I dont talk about it either. Its just what I must do.
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:24 AM
pg,

Evelynn . You are lucky to enjoy fairly good health if you only have to take one pill with your meals. To assume that others enjoy your same good health is faulty. My mother takes at least twenty different PRESCRIBED pills a day. She has heart issues, high blood pressure, blood thinners, and takes narcotic pain relief ( she had surgery on an aneurysm that left her with an incision that is 45 inches long( wraps around her body) nerve damage,she is a cancer survivior who due to surgeries needs certain meds to digest her food. She does NOT discuss this with anyone, and certainly not with strangers at a table. So the issue is not the pill taking, but the public display which was in bad taste. Hiding in your cabin to take a pill is fine for you , many others see no point in altering their life to that degree. I personally don't see how just the ACT of pill taking is offensive to anyone.

This post is not brief, nor witty, nor wise, it is just because the thought of someone being critical and judgemental because my mom HAS to take pills to live ( and yes with food!! ) is terribly upsetting.

Lets remember this is "Cruise Critics" not "Critical Crusiers"
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Evelyn- So you ran into one of those inevitable random nut cases that populate this planet. All you had to do is request different seating next time. It is still no reason to condemn all who have to take pills with meals. As some have pointed out, we diabetics, for the most part, must take our meds with food. Personally, if I take my meds too soon before eating I take the risk of going low blood sugar and turning into an angry agaitated beast before I pass out. If I wait until after, I run the risk of having too high a blood sugar. I take pills so I discreetly remove them from my case and quietly ingest them, no show, no running commentary, no problem. Were I required to take an insulin shot before meals, I would certainly excuse myself and do such in the rest room, although some even do that at the table. Again, lets not go out of our way to be offended.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM
pg,

HAHAHA , I was on this board so late last night , that I got it mixed up with CC. Well the sentiment is still the same.!
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I have only briefly scanned this post. However, my late hubby was on 13 different perscriptions/day, most taken at least 2x/day, most requiring to be taken in the middle of eating (like insulin by syringe). However, he did (in spite of foot ankle problems with walking) leave the table to inject his insulin. Swallowing a couple pills and some vitamins seems minor in comparison.

By the by: Hubby died last August 3 1/2 months after our Alaska cruise and 3 1/2 weeks after our oldest got married. We had manaed to enjoy cruises 12/99, 2001, 2002 and Alaska 6/03 in spite of his very serious health problems.

GET A LIFE OR A TABLE FOR 2.
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I don't really have a problem with someone quietly taking a pill but I agree, it can be annoying if they sort them out at the table. And feeling the need to explain them to you? Geez. If they're going to take them at dinner, the least they can do is get the pill(s) ready ahead of time, then take it out of their pocket and swallow it and not say a word about it. My fiance takes medication and usually waits until dinner to do so, but he usually puts one in his pocket that he can just take discreetly.

Old February 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Heidict Send a message via MSN to Heidict

Evelyn, while I agree that lining the pills up on the table and giving a running commentary to total strangers is extremely weird, why are you going to lump everyone who has to take medication in with them?

I have to take medication WITH FOOD!! Not before, not after but WITH FOOD! A glass of milk is not food and sometimes a muffin or a piece of toast is not enough food in my stomach to conteract the effects it could have. Anyway.....why do I want to eat a muffin right before dinner? Kinda stupid in my opinon, what's the point of going to dinner? My perscription states "take 2 pills within the first few bites of your meal". You better believe that is what I'm going to do, cause if I don't then I will spend the rest of the day and part of the next in the bathroom every hour or so and that is not really the way I want to spend my day, especially when I'm on vacation.

If a person sitting with me at my table has a problem with me discreetly taking a couple of pills, then you are the one with a problem and are just looking for anything to gripe about. Get over it, you keep at it like this you will be dead from all the stress you create for yourself pretty soon.

Maryholly, so sorry to hear about your lose.
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:35 PM
cruisingKandJ

Maybe they are exhibitionists. I know a few women who seem to be prouod of their diabetes, making sure everyone in earshot know about their high blood sugars.

J.
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I disagree with putting all the pills on the table and talking about it BUT I also take pills and always at the same time. I have to take my meds with food at breakfast and dinner time. I do it in a manner so no one is disturbed <so I hope> and move on. I disagree with the original poster and pray you will get some compassion for others...trust me..someday you will be there too.....

Old February 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
LaurenT

I too must take pills with my meals, not before, not after, WITH FOOD. If you find this offensive, please look away and do us a favor and sit at a table for 2.
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Evelyn,

I am sure you don't really mean to be so harsh to people who must take their medication with food. Yes, the people you mentioned in your post did not have to make such a display of taking their medication and unfortunately there are people in this world who enjoy the attention having a medical problem can give them.

But you must remember that there are some people in this world who cannot eat unless they take certain medications because they need these medications to help in the digestion of their food. Most people who have a medical condition that warrants their need for this have learned how to be discreet when taking their medication and I take offense at your implication that people who take medications at the dinner table are exhibitionists.

Have a nice day.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Edward

Default Re: Re: Re: Take your pills in private before you eat

Evelyn,

As far as lining them up and giving descriptions... it may have been a way to make sure they take the correct medication. Not everyone has a perfect memory or organization skills. How offended would you be had they taken the wrong meds and collapsed at the dinner table, or worse??

Not everyone does things the way everyone else does, as seen by the posts above. If it offends or bothers you, do as DougR said... request different seating next time.

P.S. I am still wondering about that colostomy bag comment though,
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Coconut

If its not pill popping, itís breastfeeding, or underdressed, etiquette challenged, perfumed enhanced, pierced, tattooed, first hand smokers. If you can't deal with the little imperfections that make each person unique then perhaps you should order room service instead.
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM
cruisinKandJ

I take pills before breakfast, at breakfast, and before bed. I didn't realize that I was offending people in hotels and on cruise ships with my two pills. Usually, some nice server notices the pill box and brings water.

J.
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

yes!
i tryed and tryed to shoot up some pcp and they preacher at my table was all like " your gonna burn in hell"

just kidding!

take them when you need to but no-one cares what they are for, so shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Royal Caribbean/ Sovereign of the Seas 2000
Carnival/Fantasy 2001
Disney/Wonder 2003
S.O.S. JUNE 04
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Passenger

I think you need to take a chill pill!!!