Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Otis

Default Noise

I recently cruised on the Paul Gaugiun. I was on Deck 4 right and was above the two most annoying people ever to have graced cruising. Not less than twice a day would they come up to me, in public, and chew me out for making too much noise while I was in my room. He even had the nerve to come knock on my door and yell at me. And the worst part about it was that most of the time that he complained about me being too loud I was not even in my room. He never complained about the noise at night when I was actually in my room, only durring the day when everyone on the ship is up and moving around. Laying in my bed at night or in the morning I was able to hear people walking above and to the sides of me, and I never once complained. No one else around my complained, nor did I hear of anyone else on the ship complaining. I it a fact of life when you are in living space that is so close together. These people were down right rude, comming up to my room and bothering me while I was minding my own business. I can't stand selfish people who think that they are better than everyone else. Grrr.
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Noise

Too bad they didn't ask to be moved - let them bother someone else. I guess they never had to live in a cheap apartment - The noise in those would have driven him up the tree!
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Sounds like another set of people who think the world revolve around *them*.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:25 PM
cruisinKandJ

That's the pits, especially when you've laid out the big bucks to cruise on RSS. We had the experience of being next to a couple of women who rose at 6 am. no matter what to a radio that blasted classical music. We told the cabin steward. His reaction: "But they're such nice ladies!" My DH and I thought they were extremely inconsiderate.

J.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Only once did we have loud people that we could not take -- a hubby and wife who stuck their kids in an inside opposite our balcony cabin ... the door slammed so many times when they were getting ready for dinner did I finally say they could just "close" the door.

My point was made and things were better then on out.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
**chaisemom**

EARPLUGS!!! The soft disposable cushy ones work SOOOOOOO great. I never travel anywhere without them- I am very noise sensitive which used to ruin traveling for me. I even pass them out to other people all the time- my family thinks I'm nuts- but they wear them. I just sent a package to my niece who is in her first year of college-
she called me with tears of gratitude- they really really work. It makes "quiet" neighbors out of people who just don't get it!!!
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've always been lucky to have quiet, considerate "neighbors" on cruises-- although the same can't always be said of semi-drunken revelers in the corridor! For them, and the odd crying infant, let me second that recommendation on the foam earplugs. Won't leave home without 'em!
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Noise

I was amazed at the number of noisy people in the surrounding cabins. I mean, everyone hears how noisy the slamming doors, loud talking, even laughing is through thin cabin walls. I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a little sound, sometimes it can't be helped. But please, be considerate! We had two little kids in the adjacent cabin and they went in and out, in and out to their balcony with the door slamming about every 15 seconds. I guess it didn't bother their parents, but it really put a damper on our ability to enjoy our own balcony. We had another couple across the hall whose friends would come calling around 7 am; they stood in front of the open door and carried on conversation with the couple still inside the cabin. They had to realize how loud they were; unless their own cabin was soundproof! What happens to people on a cruise, do they just not care anymore??
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

Ah, the constant complainers. I know how annoying that can be. Especially when you are quite certain that you're not doing anything disruptive!

Cruisequeen, I know what you mean, . I have a little efficiency apartment and the walls can be thin. I live on the end so I only have a neighbor to one side of me (and the apartment below mine is the manager's office, he only comes once in a while during the day and I don't have to worry about that since no one lives there) but anyway, when I am in my room I can sometimes hear my neighbor through the wall and heater vents. Also, when I am in my bathroom, I can hear my neighbor in HER bathroom. Well, I've heard some things I don't really want to hear going on in there, ...but anyway, more than once she's knocked on my door to ask me to be quiet, and I am NOT a loud person. I don't have a stereo system so if I listen to music it doesn't go all that loud. You can still hear it through the walls if I have it up enough, but I never listen to it loudly at night, I'll turn it down low or put my headphones on. The only time I may have it going at a pretty good volume is during the day, when everyone else has theirs cranked up anyway. I don't ever have my TV very loud, and I am not a partier so it's not like I have wild people over (like I could have a party in that little space anyway, ). But she's knocked to tell me my music bothers her, I am walking around too loudly, something's pounding against my wall, I'm talking too loudly, etc. She's come over at least 7 times since I've been living there. One time, she even knocked on my door to complain that MY car was blocking hers and she couldn't get out. I was like, that's not my car, I don't OWN a car. It was parked in the space below my apartment so she just assumed it was mine, but there is no designated parking, tenants can use any space. She didn't even ask if it was mine, just told me that I needed to move my car right away.... Anyway, she can be pretty loud herself sometimes but it's not like it disrupts my sleep, as I doubt any noise I might be making before 9:00pm does.

, one time there was a knock on my door at like 8:00 at night, and my boyfriend was inside with me, so I figured it was my neighbor or something because no one else would be knocking at that time. So I opened the door (my door doesn't have a peep hole, but there is a second screen door in which I can see out but they can't see in). It wasn't my neighbor, it was some guy going door to door begging for booze, .

Old March 6th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Admiral

To most folks the cabin and balcony doors are a great mystery. They simply can't figure out how to close them without letting them slam shut, day or night.
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Noise

Ron,

A great defence is having a great offence. We have a 14 year old daughter, and she can slam doors (all kinds, including cupboards, deep freeze-you name it!) with the best of them- drives me nuts.

So be warned, you door slammin' neighbours, we'll set her loose!
Plan B is the SCREAMING WOMAN <G>

richard

Old March 6th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Mike Sr.

They are only jealous that you are getting it on good and they can't.
Old March 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
HannaS77

You have'nt head noise until you are on a Hollnnd America "Statendam" (Rundam, Veendam)class ship on the Lower Promnendade Deck under the galley. The deck plans that are in the brochuredo not show the stateroms under the galley, anyway you cannot tell if the staterooms are directly under the galley. BUT, once aboard ship you get a deck plan that clearly shows the staterooms under the galley and the first night you will know you are.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:00 AM
ESS

Don' forget people who are returnng to their cabins 2 or 3 am and have to scream at each other as they walk down the halls past cabins with people trying to sleep. It wouldn't dawn on any of them to actually talk in a softer voice at that time of night/day
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Captain

Otis:

We've cruised the Paul Gauguin three times and have found it to be a very well sound insulated ship. I note that your "rude person" would have had a deck three cabin, and there is a a lot of service and mechanical areas on deck three. I suspect that he was hearing "crew or mechanical noise" not yours!

Thanks,
Richard
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Jane_Marlow

Once the person below me woke me up to tell me to "keep it down". Unsavy people don't realize that noise comes from all directions, not just above them.
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Captain

Otis:

I sincerely hope your experience won't sour you on Radisson or the Paul Gauguin. Our first Radisson cruise was on the PG. One of the things I noted was how quiet the cabins were. Couldn't hear people in the hall or anything. We did, however, aviod deck three. If you look at the deck plans, cabins occupy only a small percentage of that deck, and one is literally "sleeping with the crew" in their work areas. Knowing the ship as I do, I have no doubt that this was the source of the noise --- not you. On one of our PG cruises, our cabin was right under the pool deck area where the band played some nights till about 10:00 PM. We COULD hear that! But as we had "wrangled" an upgrade to that balcony cabin, we said nothing about it. And still, it wasn't that bad, as the ship is well sound insulated.

Thanks,
Richard
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Is this any different than the when I have to yell at the kids to stop slamming the doors at home?

Otis I feel very bad that you encountered what seems to be an increasing number of people who cannot not complain about something and as Dorthy said feel the world revolves around themselves. Hope you have better shipmates on your next cruise.