Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default personal hygiene

ok here's one. people that go on vacation from personal hygiene (showers, etc). one morning at breakfast my daughter and i were setting with another family in the dining room (voyager) when the mother raised her arm to pass something - I thought I would pass out!!!! things like this happen more than once during the cruise. Please have a little respect for yourself and others.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: personal hygiene

Personally, I take more showers on a cruise. I take one when I get up, after I've been on shore and before dinner.
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM
cruisinKandJ

Cruisequeen, I wish more people would follow your example, especially in humid climates. And I wish that they'd check to see that their deodorant supply is fresh and plentiful!.

J.
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: personal hygiene

Gosh, I forgot to pack deoderant. I wonder which is worse, BO or tobacco smoke?
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: personal hygiene

"Tobacco Smoke ???" Here we go again

Joemo
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I think it must be a cultural thing....many Europeans and those of European descent who have immigrated to other countries.....don't practice the same hygiene routines that Americans do. Right or wrong...not my place to say. But I will say that those Americans who douse themselves in perfume or cologne are just as noxious to me as are others who don't bathe often enough.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Right Lisa! Everything smells, but the really strong odors from whatever source are hard to take!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I have no problem with a womans natural scent <G>

Old March 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM
rigs32

Rick - I think you forget that the other women who are not hormonally attracted to other women find your "nice" scent absolutely repulsive.
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I'm with you, Rick. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Admiral

This subject is the "arm" pits!
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

What Paul B said. I have NOTHING against people of other cultures...I just made note of the fact that people in various parts of the world practice hygiene differently. DavyB - you read WAY too more into my comments than what was meant.

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Admiral

This is a serious subject! Let us stay on track fellow cruisers!

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:28 AM
pg,

Davy you're obvoiusly not a man of the world( are you a university student?) or you would realize that there ARE cultural differences regarding hygiene. I assume you were born in the good ole USA. Well, I wasn't ,I was born in Europe, so was my Dad and my grandparents. It's different over there bud, and I didn't say worse, and I don't think Lisa meant anything by her comment, your strong reaction was interesting though.
Watch out before you accuse someone of being "xenophobic" because you just ASSUMED that every nation in the world has YOUR values, where as Lisa acknowledged a difference, Viva la difference!!
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Please stay, Davyb. The type of Americans you describe are in the extreme minority. I have been all over the world as well as being in Germany three years, Viet Nam one year and Korea one year. I can tell you that everyone smells bad equally. At least my wife thinks so after I exercise!
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM
pg,

Davy you are the " ranting one" I am not American, and I do not live in America. So why are you on your anti- american rant! ? Don't jump on the bandwagon before you know what the tune is.
And by the way your post was very rude arrogant and opinionated also! You ASSUMED that pointing out a difference, was an attack, if you read Lisa's post agin perhaps you will see she was offering a reason as to why SOME people might have more of a body odour. Have you ever been on the Metro Davy in AUGUST , ooh la la !

I agree that is also a generational thing, as 50 years( actually only 25 years ago in some cases) ago MANY Europeans and British did not have central heating or the cheap unlimited acess to hot water we have been lucky enough to have .Even my mother who was rasied in the prairies( south western Canada) said that as a small child, bath day was once a week and the hot water went through the whole family!
So in that regard I guess we could say it's just the elderly who don't shower each day. ( that is a joke so don't blow a gasket) I will say that in the hair salon where I work almost without exception the ladies over 65 DO NOT wash their hair each day , while the ladies under 30 almost always do( and then they complain it is "too dry") and if you think that is "ageism" then you are wrong. We are NOT all the same, and pointing out differences is not wrong unless you call the differences wrong. Lisa did not do that.
You on the other hand did a fair amount of name calling. Interesting.
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I bathe once a week whether I need it or not.
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Davyb , please tell us what you really think. Don't hold back! lol

Old March 12th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Captain

Weekly baths are a waste of good water.
Wait till the creek warms up, then jump in.
You can bathe all summer long for free......in the creek.
Remember to bathe upstream from the cows, or,
be sure you don't drink very much.

Joemo
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Pea

I think of it this way: Americans are obsessed with personal hygiene. Marketing advertisements tell us any smell whatsoever is bad. Every body part has a horrible odor that must be taken care of and you must buy the latest products to cover the smell. And some of the products are smellier than the smell we never knew we had!

If people other in countries don't take showers every day (or two or more times a day as many Americans do) they are not necessarily less hygienic than Americans nor smellier. They just have different hygiene habits and are probably laughing at us Americans for our obsessions with odors.

Personal smelliness usually has more to do with more than how often you bathe. Some people sweat more. Some people eat certain foods that exude odors. Some people wear the same clothes or jacket day after day. That is a big one. You shower everyday, change your clothes, but may wear the same jacket. If you are exerting any energy or exercising while wearing that jacket, it can smell rank with perspiration. Hats even can smell.

Pea
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM
rigs32

Davyb - I'll take your bait and say that, yes, I do find the natural odor of some people of color to be of a different *character* than that of many white people. I do not know what causes a natural odor, but many of my friends of color do smell different than other white friends.

Are they all bad? Of course not. What we find attractive has some genetic basis, but funk is just funk in many cases, no matter what your race.
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:03 PM
pg,

Davy you are too young then to base it all on your personal experiences. Central heating is now common in most of Britain, it was not fifty years ago, ( unless you had money).
I believe I have stated I am Canadain in many posts and on my profile,so it's not a secret, but, I was not born here. And as I stated ,on my fathers side of the family we are all French . I have spent several summers in France with my family members, and guess what , the French are not as " hygiene obsessed " as the average American( or Canadian) . Thats just my personal experience based on a total time of presence in France of about 5 visits ranging from one month to three. So my opinion, to which I am entitled ,is that yes the French( and Italian) can be a tad more " earthy" then us. They do bathe etc, but as I said it's just a different sort of acceptance that they have that we do not ,I guess my whole point is I didn't take offence at Lisas post so I don't know why you did, your're not even European.!

Rigs33 all I have to say to you is ???????????????? huh?

This posting is now getting too bizarre for me and heated , what with the posting of naked men pictures.
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Anyway, women, particulary those from southern states in the US don't ever sweat. They "glow!"
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:28 PM
paul emrich

I'm French and I only bathe when I can smell myself or if someone complains.
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM
pg,

Davy you are a pill. The British do not refer to themselves as European, they refer to themselves as British or will say they are from the United Kingdom . You are convienitently splitting hairs. They also refuse to use the Euro , they are not European.
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Yeoman

Also, my Scottish brother in-law ( and his whole clan) would" NEVER" in a million years "refer to themselves as Europeans"! And that is straight from his mouth!
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Davy - I have refrained myself from responding before because I wanted to cool down after being called a xenophobe...................and that from someone who does not know me at all.

I NEVER meant to disparge on one culture or another....I merely stated a fact that people in different parts of the world practice different hygiene. I chose the example of Europe because I AM OF EASTERN EUROPEAN DESCENT! (which I feel I should not have to explain, but since you seem to think anyone who disagrees with your view is ignorant.) The hygiene I practice is NOT the same as that of my parents or grandparents, but I NEVER said that was wrong, just DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Some people on this board (and yes I am referring to Davy and others) are overly sensitive.......I take offense at many posts, but have never resorted to calling someone a xenophobe or a bigot or racist.

BTW - I thought your pic was funny, but was a little offended as I felt you aimed it at me and others who disagreed with your point of view..........but I am not the person who reported it or asked it to be removed. You, my friend, need to develop a thicker skin - and maybe privately email someone before you accuse them of being xenophobes, etc. It might avoid a lot of hurt feelings and missunderstandings.

pg and others - thanks for speaking up for me in my self imposed absence from this thread.

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I once dated a girl from Scotland and she stunk to high heaven. Didn't shave her legs or armpits and was gross. Had to dump her stinky butt.

But I'm not saying all Scots are stinky.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Hollyhawk

d**n got here to late for the pic!
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:56 PM
b.

Spending so much time on this topic just stinks.