Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Mike Sr.

Default A Death on Every HAL Cruise?

When asked if HAL was a good choice for a young family , I was told that the line attracts mostly older crowds and could expect a death on ever cruise. I that correct? I have never cruised HAL and My wife and I want to enjoy our 10 wedding anniversary with our kids next year.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: A Death on Every HAL Cruise?

Contrary to popular belief, DOB's are not uncommon on ANY cruise. There is rarely if ever a fuss about it, its all taken care of between teh line, staff and the family.

Old March 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Admiral

TMI

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Mike Sr.

TMI?
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:39 PM
DavidKade

Too Much Info
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM
Admiral

My TA told me that there were THREE deaths on her last Celebrity cruise. I know death is a natural part of life, but it just gives me the willys.....willies? Whatever....

dorothyu

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM
jamiegunter

Every cruise ship has a morge, we found this out on our last carnival cruise. They had Find out how the crew lives?, and people asked all kind of strange things.
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM
Captain

Allow me to suggest that there is nothing specific to HAL about death on cruises. Unless of course HAL's ever changing beverage policies bring on so much frustration and stress that it causes heart failure. (Just a bit of dark humor, folks.) Deaths are not uncommon on cruises. Very few are due to accidents and the like. I have theories as to the reasons for this. First, the sheer number of people onboard gives rise to the odds of some mortality among this number. Some ships carry as many guests as small towns. Second, many people find themselves faced with an unfavorable medical diagnosis, and naturally want to do all those things they wanted to do but never did. Cruising is soften one of those things. Unfortunately, it sometimes proves the case that the person waited too late.

HAL does seem to appeal to the more mature cruiser. My favorite line, Radisson, does too. But death is rarely in the itinerary.

Thanks,
Richard
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

In fact the ships of Carnival are starting to carry blood (which they didn't do because of spoilage) because of a few deaths due to people not coming in in time and getting exsanguinated....essentially they bled themselves to death.

Old March 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM
Passenger

There are a lot of worse places to die than on a cruise ship.

Six years ago I had a nasty bout with cancer. My first cruise was to Alaska six weeks after I finished chemo. I have no doubt that the seven days in the incredible fresh air and seeing the amazing scenery speeded up my recovery. I enjoyed myself so much that I decided that if the cancer ever came back, I would cash in my retirement savings, book a world cruise, and hopefully when the grim reaper came for me, it would be when I was lying on a deck chair, at 2:00 a.m., watching the stars. If you are going to die, it might as well be on a cruise ship!!!

By the way, I'm off on a HAL Noordam cruise on March 28th and I have every intention of coming back very much alive and at least five pounds heavier!!!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Admiral

The only thing I'll comment on is that HAL is probably not the best cruise line for a young family.

Especially since you have kids, I'd highly recommend Carnival or Royal Caribbean instead. I think you and the kids will be bored on HAL.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Well, all I can say is on my first cruise I died and went to heaven.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Kar06

One of my grandparent's best friends who was a widow died on her world cruise, of natural causes. Her husband had died a few yrs earlier in an airplane bathroom (heart attack)

The world works in strange ways...
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Mike Sr.

I have heard that HAL is great for kids 5 and up. I have sailed Celebrity and Princess and am sure HAL is pretty much the same. Right now my daughter is only 10 months old and will be 2 years old when we cruise. There isn't much for her to do on this line in her age group. Many people have warned me against HAL. Most of them young people, but there has been a few seniors. It's funny but one senior couple my wife works with would not step foot on HAL for a second time. Too quiet for them. They tell my wife they want to go our with a boom not a wimper. Those are the people I want to cruise with. While they still have air in their lungs, they want to dance. God bless them.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
hbgdavid

where does this hatred of old people come from? i admire the espirt de corps of 70 year olds who actually take cruises at all, considering the way time wracks their bodies. As for the air in your lungs, I know of a 30 year old who had a stroke at dinner and collapsed in front of his brood in the mashed potatoes, so be careful what you say.

why not either leave such young kids with a sitter or go on Disney? that's more your place I think. Carnival I can attest has that party spirit and is right for kids, but they say Disney is way better. seems like youve got money, so spend it on a suite on one of these lines; why not a family suite? woo hoo!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Mike Sr.

Default Re: Re: A Death on Every HAL Cruise?

Where do you get off telling people what places they should be? Do you earn their money? The cruiselines do not care who steps on their ships as long as its revenue.
I'm sure the board of any of these cruiselines would be a little nervous if they could only draw in a certin age group. Limited income. Not to offend anyone but your age group is shrinking. As far as marketing is concerned this could spell adisaster for HAL. The cruiseline is already combating this. There is rumor that HAL is going to lower the age group for their childrens programs to four. There new cruise guide is full of pictures of young parents with children. Just take a look. As for the young hating the old, I think that's silly. I have traveled most of the mainstream cruiselines. Celebrity is tops, next Princess. All I have to do is keep emailing HAL. With thousand of young cruisers, wanting change, HAL will respond. Money speaks load and greed listens.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Mike Sr.

I have not made a choice as far as a cruisline. I guess I am part of the old school that if you don't like the way something is, you try to change it. I want HAL to be like Celebrity and Princess. I don't care that this line has been a favorite for seniors. I guess this thread has changed. The person who told be about this line used the phrase "A death on every cruise" as a way to describe its typical customer. Very old crowd. I think it went over your head. I called the HAL about a child pool and was alittle surprised to find our they did not provide one on any of there ships. My post was always about HAL.
You might find this of intrest, but the more people try to steer me away from HAL, the more I want to try it. Worry about a cruise? Any cruise I am on, I am happy.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Quitecontrary

Dang, I am the cruiser that wants to smoke my crack to bring me up, do my heroin to bring me down, and then have the cruise line offer me unlimited (and luxurious) narcan (look it up in Martindale's Drug Reference) to bring me back up (this would be the baby boomer speaking), so I can ensure my ability to drink my old fashioned manhattan, in the old fuddy duddy civilized tradition of the evening cocktail, on the old fashioned fuddy duddy cruise ship... What, I'm not dead yet???...

BTW, My DH and I don't fit any particular demographic except.... no children,(neice/nephew are loved to death by us)... both work for top corporations....age difference is not of the norm (May/Dec)....no college, braces...ect to pay for....in essence, free spirit cruisers....we can do it, so we do!!!

OK...on to reality....

I don't care what vacation you take, someone may die. Believe it or not, I think most cruise lines have this "passage" of life covered. Like any other vacation destination (such as Disney, the Jersey shore, or a bahamian island) they got it covered!!! I think, and don't quote me on this, that humans die everywhere!!! The biggest problem here, that I see, is that the travel (or cruise) guys just don't have it down to a science yet....ie...."lets have a bingo game to distract the cruisers that someone else has bit the dust!!" I truly believe that they are doing their best....after all, I don't want my "special party" brought down by someone dying for gosh sake!!!! No, really, for those who think that death doesn't happen....Well, I am at a loss for words...(on a public chat board of course...) Again...don't quote me...but people die....

Is all this a joke or is Mike Sr. truly worried that his 2-year-old might be bored, traumatized, not entertained enough if someone dies on the ship he chose to cruise on! BTW...child psychology says that if a child cannot articulate it, they won't remember it! Being deeply enamoured with my 4yo and 2yo nephew and niece, they don't seem to focus on the dead, just on articulating who gets more crayons than the other. THEY SEEM TO BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE THAT EASILY!!!

Mike Sr...go on your cruise (which ever line that may be) seize the moment...take a lotta pics of the 2-year-old....This vaca is about you, not your child. Except that you must watch over her safety during the cruise (no child overboard please). And, for a closing statement, she will NEVER KNOW that she did not have her special pool/place/toy.....she is two!!! she may have a remote memory of playing with the napkin holder....!!!!

Hey, Dot73...if you go on my cruise...I don't know you, but I honor your dignity, and a good life lived....I toast to you. You have lived a life worth living...I only ask that you do the same for me if I die on a cruise...Drink a toast to me...scatter my ashes....make sure a few land on a lucky video poker machine!....Lets all cruise...and lets all love the bondsof laughter/human love that unite...rather than "oh, those old people are dying left and right again!!!! Dang it..." Back to my original sentence....Lets all do crack!!! Or, get a boob job...ok, I added that on as an after thought!!!!
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Admiral

From Frommer's Caribbean Cruises and Ports of Call 2004:

Carnival - 30% under age 25; 40% between 35 and 55; 30% over 55

Celebrity - "most" couples in mid-30's, with the average age in 2002 being 49

Disney - "many" passengers in 30's and mid-40's, the bulk of passengers are first-time cruisers

Holland - 40% of HAL's Caribbean guests are under 55; most passengers are married couples, 20% may be single, divorced or widowed travelling alone

Norwegian - "Typical" passengers are couples ages 35-60

Princess - Majority of passengers are in their 50's, 60's and older, though nunmber of 30's and 40's are growing steadily

RCL - 20's through 60's, with more than 300,000 kids sailing in 2001.

Although I LOVE Frommer's, it annoys me, with their love of charts and graphs, that they can't do meaningful comparisons. Would love to see the statistics they list for Carnival applied to ALL the lines.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: A Death on Every HAL Cruise?

Carnival - 30% under age 25; 40% between 35 and 55; 30% over 55

Silly Frommer's! I guess that means those of us between 25 and 35 don't cruise Carnival. ????

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Mike Sr.

David you have missed the point again. Now your are getting upset. I think you may know logic and math but don't know people. I wrote about a person who basiclly said stay away form HAL. She told me that the line attracts so may old people, one can expect a death on every cruise. I was hoping someone would prove her wrong. I was wating to read someone post telling me this women is either correct or nuts. That it! I have not been on HAL. Someone please give me info! I never ment to hear stories of someones passing. Dorothy is the only one who answered my question. Bless you Dorothy. I know my daughter is never going to remember this cruise, but my sons ages 6 and 7 will. Someone on this board wrote about people posting incorrect info. I received some of the same.
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Mike Sr.

David I thank you for your help. I'm not a hard person to like and I'm sure your the same. Yes I do want HAL. I love a peaceful cruise. My wife and I traveled on the Explorer of the Seas two years ago. I must say I hated the fact that the ship was so crowded. Lines every where and a few fights among the drunks. We switched lines and traveled on Celebrity's Mercury. Pure elegance. Great service. Dropped the boys in the kid programs and had a late breakfast with my wife outside on the desk. So quiet I could hear my self think. During dinner there was a quartet playing music and everyone listened. Thats what I want from HAL. On the second day of the cruise I want my waiter to know what kind of wine I drink and what the kids like to eat, so they can finish quickly and go back to their programs.
Old March 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Mike Sr.

Thanks David. I would not let the boys have run of the ship without me. The one thing I hate to see is kids riding up and down the elevators and running all over the ship. Also kids knocking on cabin doors and running away. Maybe that why Celebrity and HAL look so attractive, but I do have to whats best for the family. You are most likely right. The Caribbean Princess will be making her maiden voyage soon and Princess is always a good choice. Thanks again buddy. Mike