Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Asealady

Default in the pool

I saw a post where a Mom was told to put a swim diaper on her child and go in the pools. And ingore the rules! From what I understand all lines have a policy no diapers or swim diapers rules. I am sick and tired of parents thinking this does not apply to them. Diapers blow up in pools and swim diapers can leak. But, they just dont care
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Pea

Default Re: in the pool

I think it's a legitimate gripe and a problem across cruiselines, not just for one particular cruise. Diapers are a major source of e-coli (which usually lives quite benignly in the digestive tract) and the reason why there are these rules. How often in the summer do we here about people getting sick because e-coli or other germ is found in a neighborhood pool? I happen to agree with the original poster.

Pea
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Asealady

Pea, thank you. If Mommyof2 doesnt care about other children in the pools, she can at least care about her own.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I was a lifeguard for 5 summers as a teenager, then taught swimming for a while. I can count on one hand the number of times I saw adults get out of the pool or lake and go to a restroom. Not saying that's good or bad, but I doubt I ever caught anything from the water.

I understand that there are viruses out there but one cannot worry about everything that goes on in the world. If we saw a lot of things, we'd never go anywhere - i.e., airplane maintenance, restaurant kitchens, carnival or fair food, hotel bedspreads, etc.

Don't worry so much and give a little credit to your immune system.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:24 AM
mommyof2

Pea: I can understand and appreciate what you are saying. I have truly never had a problem with leaking swim diapers and my son's trunks have a plastic lining for backup. I change him frequently-I am not one of those mother's who let their kid run around in a wet soggy swimmie all day long. All I am saying is I am probably not the only one who has or will let their child swim in a swimmie.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
mommyof2

Ok asealady, someone agreed with you. Happy now? Just a reminder-you are swimming in fish poop and guts.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Asealady

Yes, other children swim in the cruise pools with diapers on and I have seen staff telling their parents to remove them. There were signs up in plain view and listed in the daily newsletter deliverd to the cabins. I saw a parent get so nasty to the staff and insulted being told to remove her child. They had to know the rule, but refused to follow it. They are posted for a reason. I dont understand why some people thinks it doesnt apply to them. There is no reason to be nasty, I posted this on a gripe board. Thats what this board is. I will be happy when all passengers follow the rules. .
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Pea

mommyof2 - I appreciate the parents who actually bother to have trunks with the plastic lining.

Belgigue - We are not talking about people peeing in the pool...which is digusting and unfortunately rampant. It's when feces get in the water and feces are quite often infected with e-coli. I don't know too many adults who poop in the pool.

Here in the Washington area, at least once or twice a summer, a neighborhood pool has to be closed because of e-coli contamination and numerous people (usually children) getting ill. Tests run prove that the pool water is the cause of the contamination. This is one reason why children in diapers are prohibited from a lot of neighborhood pools, or only allowed in the baby pool.

Pea
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM
mommyof2

Thank You Pea. Believe me, I do not want my kids or anyone else's sick. If parents take the proper precautions I don't see this as being a problem. Cruiseline should post a sign they are not responsible.
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Asealady

Ok, I was not correct in posting a gripe on the family board.

But, my point is correct that you will still break the rule, by letting your child swim in a swim diaper. Its not healthy and you just dont care! I dont go board to borad looking for a problem. Nothing you can say will support what you are doing. And nothing more I can add to this subject. YOU WILL BE BRINGING A RULE!

The End
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM
mommyof2

Yes, me and every other family on the ship will be breaking a rule. Have you ever been on a ship where someone has gotten sick due to a contaminated pool? Probably not. Like I said in my last post, if parents take responsiblility, there should not be a problem. My son will only be in the kiddie pool, not the adult pool. By the way, are you certain adults are getting out of the pool when necessary? Something to think about!
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:17 AM
mommyof2

Or the 'older children' who are supposedly potty trained?
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Heidict Send a message via MSN to Heidict
Default Re: Re: in the pool

The rules are there for a reason. It amazes me that so many people think the rules don't apply to them and go ahead and break them cause everyone else is doing it.

Parents need to teach their kids responsibility and how to follow rules. And we wonder why our society is in the state it is in.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Asealady

My thoughts are the same. I have seen that so much with parents in my daycare business. This one issue is my pet peeve. I obey the rules and this one poster has the nerve to tell me I am a trouble maker. The nerve!
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Shame on you Asealady!!! lol ;-) Don't you know that people don't want to be held accountable for their actions these days.

And if you call them on it they try to swing it around so that you are the bad guy. PLEASE!!

Well I'm heading out to go buy some drugs and then drive 100 mph down the highway. Yeah I know it's against the rule, but heck, everyone else is doing it!
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
mommyof2

Here we go again!!!!!! Uncle Bob-I would not wear Depends in the pool while cruising with asealady she will tell you to get out.... And to Heidict and Asealady: Do not comment on my parenting you don't know me. My advice to you is to stay out of the kiddie pools and don't swallow the water in the adult pools either. Is it really any of your business? Neither of you are cruising the same time and you are certainly not going to be splashing on the kiddie pool-I think you would look pretty ridiculous. Neither of you seemed to like the comment I made in a previous post about adults and so called 'potty trained" kids in the adult pool. Are you so sure the adult pool is safe? Probably not. Sea water is not sterile-there is fish poop and guts in it and YOU are swiming in that also. If you two have nothing else to do but complain about how people dont follow the rules on cruises you are not on I feel sorry for you. Get a life.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Pea

Actually, since norovirus can be transmitted through human stool, yes, people could be getting ill through the pool as easily as they could through the food. Norovirus is known to be a waterborne illness also and transmission through...how can I put this delicately...fecal matter is one of the major modes of transmission of the virus.

So, if the norovirus is predsent on the ship you are on, some people recommend staying away from the buffets and public areas. Also remember to stay out of the pools!

Pea
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:31 PM
mommyof2

I though it was called rotovirus? Any way....it is always a good idea to wash hands frequently no matter where you are. Especially when you are sharing a confined space like a ship with over 2000 people.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Admiral

At the pool in our neighborhood the problem is not swim diapers but parents who don't use them and *say* their kids are potty trained!

Our pool manager says the accidents in the water that close the pool are never from swim diaper leaks, but from kids who are in a regular suit and may or may not be potty trained.

I wonder if Carnival shouldn't re-examine their policy, but until they do, it's no diapers in the pool. If you choose to break the rules then expect the wrath of fellow passengers, both on the ship and the boards.

And as I always say...if you can't stand the heat, eat out....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM
mommyof2

If I am told to leave the pool then I will. If you think I am or will be the only parent to do this you are crazy. I said in one of my original posts in the family board had I known this was an NCL policy-I would have 2nd guessed a cruise. My son will be wearing a swim diaper and a bathing suit that has a plastic liner in it. If there is anything going into that pool it will not be from my son-it will be from another child who his parents say is 'potty trained' and is really not or another child who just does not care to get out of the pool to use the bathroom.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Asealady

I did not makea comment on this poster's parenting. Just about breakiing NCL's rules. She doesnt even know if I swim in sea water to say I swim in fish guts. She keeps coming making a post to justify breaking a rule. It is our business if you break a rule on a cruise. Just because we wont be on her future cruise does not me we dont care. My discussion with this poster is ended and she still doesnt get it. If you spent this much effort to potty train your son, you wouldnt need swim diapers. Like I said before,
The End.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Asealady

I noticed a few earlier posts have been removed from here.
Old March 20th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Personal attacks are NOT allowed here, and indeed posts have been deleted.

You can discuss opinions on an issue. Name calling and personal attacks will be deleted.

Unlike the cruise lines.... we enforce the expected behavior as set out in our User Agreement.

Old March 20th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Mike Sr.

What I would like to know is how do you let a young child swim in a pool which is most likley to deep for them. Most pools are atleast 4 or 5 feet deep. I never took my sons into the larger pools because of the diaper issue. A kiddy pool is provide by most lines (except Holland America) and yes all the other young children do wear those swimming diapers as well.
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Yeoman

Hey what about the fact that certain pools are contaiminated because they are not properly treated with chemicals. Chorlrine (sp?) probaly kills the e coli germ if it is in the water at a proper concentration.

Also , why don't cruise ships have " splash type fountains" for little kids, this would circulate fresh water( or salt) so there would be no chance of contaimantion..

People pay alot of money for their kids to cruise so may be they feel that it's not fair that when its 85 degrees out their kiddies have to roast.
Look at it from their point of view.
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM
mommyof2

My son will be in the kiddie pool in his plastic lined trunks having a great time. End of story.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: Re: in the pool

Justa question...won't clorine kill all the germs?
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: Re: in the pool

Justa question...won't clorine kill all the germs?
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:49 PM
Passenger

You are right Mommyof2. I don't know you or how you raise you kids at home. You are probably a very good and responsible parent with your children. I don't believe I ever said that you were a bad parent.

My comments are not just about swimming in a pool with a diaper on. From what I understand their is alot of chlorine in the pool and am under the believe that this kills what ever germs there are, regardless of where they are coming from. I think we have a much better chance at getting sick on a cruise from poorly stored and undercooked food then we do from swimming in a pool. As a matter of fact I don't know of any incidents of someone becoming sick because of something that was contracted in a pool.

I was speaking specifically of the fact that people seem to think it is okay to break a rule when it is an inconvienent rule, and therefore should not apply to them. Then their children see this example. Often times this will turn around and bite a parent in the butt and be thrown up in their face at a later time. As parents we are to lead by example, and I don't think that you want your example to be to your children that the rules shouldn't matter to them if they don't feel like following them.

Regarding your previous post that you refer to. I never read it, so have no idea what you are talking about.

Post Edited (03-21-04 16:07)

Adventure of the Seas
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:40 PM
Pea

Chlorine in the proper levels should kill the e-coli, but public pools don't always have the proper level of these disenfectants in the water to kill these bacteria. The same goes for salmonella, norovirus, etc.

Pea