Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default People who DON'T buy Insurance, but THEN......

I can't figure out. Maybe someone can enlighten me......

People book their cruises, and then make the decision to NOT purchase travel insurance. Then later, after they've made their final payments, something bad happens to them, or their family members, and they want the cruise lines to return their money... and in some cases even trash their agents for not getting their money back for them.

I KNOW it's a most difficult time if you, or a family member, become too ill to travel, or someone even passes away. And its' certainly not that I am unsympathetic to those who it happens to.

However...the cruise line cancellation policies are clearly laid out in their brochures, and insurance is readily available at reasonable prices (if you shop a bit) to cover unforseen problems developing.

Once someone makes the decision to pass on purchasing insurance - in order to save the money - I think they give up the right to complain later, and should not expect the cruise line to be sympathetic.

I recently encountered someone in EXACTLY this situation, and they became totally indignant. They now blame EVERYONE except themselves for what happened to them, to the point they are now fabricating stories about the situation, and even the travel agent. Perhaps, thinking someone will believe the altered course of events!

No doubt it's a sad day when someone gets ill and has to cancel a highly anticipated cruise. But, it seems to be another case of no one being willing to be responsible for their OWN actions anymore.

And even sadder , becauase all that aggravation caused simply because they wanted to save the cost of insurance.

Post Edited (04-01-04 16:59)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Pea

Default Re: People who DON'T buy Insurance, but THEN......

Someone posted on another board about an issue like this several months ago. Sometimes, people who don't travel really just do not comprehend the importance of insurance. But this guy had 15 cruises under his belt and he never got insurance and was "ahead of the game". Well, his wife needed to have an immediate biopsy for breast cancer and he was indignant that cruiseline would not give him a credit for another cruise...he wasn't asking for a refund he said!

That poster knew fully well what could happen. He was playing the odds and lost, but wanted to be compensated. Yes, everyone was sympathetic with his situation...who wouldn't be and if he had been a new cruiser or traveler may have gotten more sympathy from his post. But someone with 15 cruises under his belt and trying to stay "ahead of the game" (his own words) is not going to get my agreement that the cruiseline should give him a credit.

Pea
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Passenger

I will have my first cruise coming up here shortly, and you better belive I have purchased Travel Insurance. I have traveled to many different places and always purchased insurance. As far as "Being ahead of the game" planning for the unexpected is the way to go. It shouldn't matter how many cruises you have under your belt. Murphy's law always seems to rear its head and it is not mitigated by how many cruises you have taken. 1 or 30 cruises, I would have to agree with you Kuki and Pea....insurance, insurance, insurance. We surround our lives with different types of precautionary insurance...health, car, home and life insurance. Why would traveling be any different?

TK

Post Edited (04-01-04 17:57)

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM
jamiegunter

I agree, we always by the insurance. You just need to figure it into the cost of
cruising. It also is good, cause it covers you if you got sick when on the boat and needed to be lifeflighted off. It can cost alot if you get ill in a different country, your regular insurance doesnt usually cover you outside USA.

But some wont learn until it happens to them....
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although I agree with Kuki that if you decide to "pass" on insurance you've got no legitimate gripe with the cruise line, I'm still not so sure the insurance is always a good idea. I got insurance for my first cruise, passed for the second cruise and have bot it again for our upcoming cruise. My main hesitation about buying the insurance is that I have no particular faith in insurance companies...think they will often try to weasle out of legit. obligations or, at the very least, hang onto the money as long as possible. Most of the notes I've seen promoting buying the insurance ususally say something along the lines of, "although I've never had a claim, it certainly gives me peace of mind." I'd like to see some notes from folks who've had good experiences with specific travel insurers after filing a claim...I'd rather pay a little more and know I'm dealing with a company that won't try to skirt its obligations.

Navigator of th
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM
cruisinKandJ

For us, it wasn't the insurance comapny that tried to weasle out but the cruise line. They didn't want to refund the post-cruise hotel money even though they had plenty of notification. Our TA went to bat for us and the money was refunded.

J.
Old April 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
Admiral

On the other hand, considering how many people like to cruise, perhaps the cruiselines and travel agents can have a heart when things occur even if you didn't purchase insurance and try to help the person by trying to help sell their cabin for them.

I think insurance is a good idea, but sometimes things happen that you don't plan for... maybe the people cruising can only afford the price of the cruise. Insurance ain't cheap, you know! But kindness and sympathy seem to be a sparse commidity these days... easier to say "tough luck"......

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:02 PM
Bonni

Default Re: Re: People who DON'T buy Insurance, but THEN......

I learned the hard way to buy insurance NEXT time. (And I didn't gripe or ask for amends) So what insurance co. do you guys recommend? (Those of you who have actually had a claim and been satisfied)
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM
Passenger

My personal favorites in the non-insured, cruise line owes me something group are the pregnant and now can't go complainers. I've seen that thread in a bunch of places lately. Couple saves for a year for their "dream vacation" but can't afford the extra money for insurance. Lo and behold wife/girlfriend turns up pregnant and will be too far along to go on the cruise. Couple is outraged that the cruiselines won't give them a refund/credit. WAKE UP, PEOPLE! If you aren't going to buy the travel insurance, at least invest in some pregnancy "insurance". It seems like even 8-year-olds know about birth control now. A better choice is save your money for an extra month and buy the travel insurance.

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Okay, forget the insurance, but I'll always remember the heartlessness of United Airlines when my mother was supposed to fly with me for my sister's wedding..she ended up in the hospital with heart problems, and they would NOT allow her to change her flight. "But", the woman on the other end said, "she DOES have a ticket!"

As I said, compassion is a tiny speck in this society............

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
Admiral

I have yet to have a major insurance claim and quite frankly I am not looking forward to reaping the benefits of collecting at any time soon. Our TA knows to quote us the final price , including all costs and including the insurance. We never even give ourselves the option of knowing what the cost is , we just include the insurance and move on.
I don't want to ever think of "saving " the few dollars that the insurance costs.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
tah

My 21 & 27 year old stepsons are coming with us on a 4 day Thanksgiving cruise this year. Insurance for the four of us was $162.00 which works out to around $10 per day per person, the price of two Coronas. Not bad considering the insurance will take care of medical costs if one of us is hurt or ill and refund the cost of the trip if a family member is ill or passes away. This is a bargain when you have elderly parents. Since the boys have different mothers the number of relatives whose illness could affect our trip escalates. Spend the money for peace of mind alone. Thatís worth it for me.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Moose Man,
People like that can only blame themselves for not getting the travel insurance. I would never cruise without it, in fact I will soon be actually making a claim, hope it all works out...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
oooooh_nooooo_MrBill!

Jean S: Insurance is exactly for the "things you don't plan for"; otherwise, you wouldn't need the insurance......... Although I don't know the particulars of your problems with United Airlines, I'll be willing to be that flight / travel insurance was not involved there either. Also, I would find it hard to believe that the airline wouldn't allow a change at all to a flight ; were they requiring a "change fee" perhaps? If you had purchased travel insurance for the flight, and it was a bona fide covered reason under the terms of the insurance policy, the cost to change the flight would have been covered.

The travel industry is struggling after 9/11, so the companies are not trying to be hard-nosed and uncompassionate, just trying to keep themselves afloat (so to speak).
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Admiral

I am still awaiting my first cruise. Three years ago I was getting ready to go cruising at the end of the month on my honeymoon. My wife's 12 year old was diagnosed quite suddenly with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. We could not go on our cruise as planned. Were it not for the insurance I purchased from Travel-Guard I would have been out $1,600. The company paid off promptly after getting evidence that it was not "pre-existing" as I failed to purchase the insurance in the two week "pre-existing condition" window. I got the insurance as a result of reading articles and threads right here on Cruisemates. I will never again travel without it.

Post Edited (04-06-04 08:48)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Some people aren't aware of the actual benefits of insurance. They mistakenly think travel insurance is only covering the cost of the trip should it be cancelled for personal reasons. The real benefit is medical coverage in a foreign country and/or on the ship. These are the expenses which can climb astronomically. I suspect a large number of people don't realize their medical coverage back home doesn't apply outside of the country.

Because of this, I believe most of the younger people do not buy the insurance. They've never needed medical coverage before and to them it's not worth the price. Their risk vs. reward ratio is lower than somebody else's who is much older.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Cruisin' Canuck

This is an interesting thread and one every newbie cruiser - any traveller for that matter - should pay attention to. Cancellation insurance is a probably a good investment and health insurance is vital. I wonder how many people here in Canada give travel health insurance much thought at all. When you live in a country with free universal health care, you just take it for granted. I suspect quite a few Canadians fly, drive or cruise off to foreign destinations without any health insurance at all and an unlucky few realize their mistake only when it's too late.
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Passenger

Should you buy the insurance through the cruise company or is it better to get it somewhere else? I checked with AAA (I am a member with them) but they said that if I didn't book the cruise with them that i couldn't get the insurance there. Our cruise is July 1st. Last year I had to cancel our vacation the day before because I had a sudden medical condition that put me in ICU for 23 days.
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Pea

Princess offers insurance where you can cancel for any reason and get a certain proportion of your money back. This is good for people who anticipate that work might prevent them from traveling. Other travel insurance normally doesn't cover cancellation for these types of reasons. But, Princess insurance is quite a bit more expensive than insurance from other companies.

Unless you are anticipating this type of situation, I would go with an outside insurer. You can get info at www.insuremytrip.com.

Pea
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Definitely go with a third party insurer. Do not buy from the cruiseline. What would happen if you bought the insurance from the cruiseline and then your cruise was cancelled because they filed for bankruptcy? Do you think you'd get your money back?

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
First Mate

I would never think of travelling without travel insurance. I have only needed it twice but on both occasions it saved me a lot of money.
Occasion#1: travel partner lost job 2 weeks before scheduled vacation - covered - full refund to both of us
Occasion#2: Airline went out of business 1 month before vacation - covered - full refund for my husband and myself
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Joeysmom

Default Re: Re: Re: People who DON'T buy Insurance, but THEN......

You get insurance for those things you don't expect to happen. If you don't have it you have no reason to complain if you loose all your payment. Several years ago (more than I like to think) I had a cruisetour planned to Russia. One week before I was to leave the Chernobyl nuclear accident happened. Not knowing much about the effects of nuclear radiation I cancelled the trip - with a full refund. Without the insurance I would have been out a lot of money. I never book a trip without it!
Sue
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: People who DON'T buy Insurance, but THEN....

Take a look on the chit chat board right now. There is a post marked "need to cancel".
Guess what, no insurance, what do I do?
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Mike Sr.

Kuki I think your post made me think twice. I have traveled on 7 cruises and never gave the insurance a thought. Now the next time I cruise, I will take advantage of it.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM
First Mate

after reading Zeno's post it got me wonder about something. What if 2 or more people book a room together. No insurance purchased. One of the traveler's can't go due to problems etc and knows that there's no refund but the other traveler(s) still can go. Does the cruiseline allow the other(s) to go or will they deny boarding if all passengers do not show up?

Post Edited (04-19-04 01:57)

Old June 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do have a question concerning the insurance. My wife and I just completed our first cruise...and of course we took out insurance. But, my question is this. If for some reason one of us could not have gone due to unsuspected health problems, etc. Why won't the cruise lines allow you to pass the ticket on to someone else. And, please do not tell me it is because of 9-11.

It is something that bothered me as I was booking the cruise....and both my TA and the Cruiseline could not give me give me an explanation.

The ticket is paid for....and it wouldn't take that much effort to issue another ticket in that person's name.
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Chris Kenton

If you can make a cruise, they won't let you send a friend or relative in you place?

I know they can say, "For security reasons", but its a game the cruise line plays to increase thier profits.

I don't like to play these games.

Chris
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

My sister just cruised Disney a few weeks ago. I got a last minute call because her husband couldn't go and she wanted me to take his place. She talked to Disney directly and they had no problem changing his ticket to my name. Unfortunately, I wound up not going, but nevertheless she made the change THE DAY BEFORE she cruised.

When she arrived at the pier they asked for me by name and when she told them I wasn't cruising in her husband's place they were very polite and expressed regret I couldn't "enjoy the Disney experience."

Anyway, you can change a ticket on Disney - don't know about the others.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
slotl

I agree with Thomas. I do NOT purchase insurance for the purpose of cancellation. I DO purchase the insurance for evacuation and medical necessities even medical flights home to your "favorite" doctors and hospitals.

The last three cruises that we have gone on had passengers who required a helicopter evacuation from the ship and heaven knows about the medical care, hospitalization, hotel room transportation and living expenses for the spouse who was not hospitalized, etc. I will NEVER travel WITHOUT special medical evacuation insurance which covers unknown expenses for foreign medical care and your return flights home.

Like your American Express card. DON'T leave home without it. I hope I never need to use it.

Slotl

Prinsendam, Oct 3, 2004
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to ttbryson

I live in Canada also, and we do have a worldwide insurance policy that we've had for a while. It covers a few million dollars in costs so we're not worried about that.

As Cruisin' Canuck said I live in a country (Canada) with FREE universal health care, no matter what your income you get the same treatment, whatever that may be for however long that may take. We pay ALL medical fees with our care card (Health ID card) NOT OUR CREDIT CARD.

So we dont give cruise insurance a second thought.

--------------------
HAL - Oosterdam - May 05
RCI - Mariner of the Seas - August 04
HAL - Volendam - July 03