Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Unruly children& their parents

Is making the little blighters walk the plank sitll acceptable Naval practice??

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
maursea

Around the age of 10, these kids know enought that spitting and throwing ice cubes off the balcony isn't the way to behave. How lame and stupid is that and no one went to find a staff member to correct that? They should be put in a lifeboat and towed in the back of the ship! What a nasty accident a passenger could have falling on ice cubes on a marble floor! I am sick of bratty kids and lame parents. Change the age to 21 when they can cruise. Solves that problem!!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Yeoman

Why on earth didn't someone( Mc Call , why not you? ) go and get a staff member, I KNOW I would have!! I have NO problem saying CUT THAT OUT RIGHT NOW, and have done it at any public place where kids have disrupted( through rudness) my time.

I accept that kids are kids, and as I have posted earlier I personally have never had a problem on a cruise ship . I do ignore some stuff, because I do accept the kids are kids theory, so yes sometimes they may run instead of walk, I don't consider that DELIBERATE rudeness, like spitting, playing in the elevator , or canon balling into the hot tub is.
I think we ALL agree that when a child is deliberately rude then there is a problem, but sorry I don't consider a two year old having a tantrum the end of the world. As long as the parent is trying to deal with it, and if not sucessful then removes the child to a priavate place , then it is no skin off my nose. I am just so happy it's not MY child, we cruise without kids so I am quite forgiving of others since their behaviour is not MY problem. Of course the spitting and ice cube throwing kids were way out of line, and SOMEONE should have stepped in immediatley, A STAFF member should have done something!!!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Yeoman

Why on earth didn't someone( Mc Call , why not you? ) go and get a staff member, I KNOW I would have!! I have NO problem saying CUT THAT OUT RIGHT NOW, and have done it at any public place where kids have disrupted( through rudness) my time.

I accept that kids are kids, and as I have posted earlier I personally have never had a problem on a cruise ship . I do ignore some stuff, because I do accept the kids are kids theory, so yes sometimes they may run instead of walk, I don't consider that DELIBERATE rudeness, like spitting, playing in the elevator , or canon balling into the hot tub is.
I think we ALL agree that when a child is deliberately rude then there is a problem, but sorry I don't consider a two year old having a tantrum the end of the world. As long as the parent is trying to deal with it, and if not sucessful then removes the child to a priavate place , then it is no skin off my nose. I am just so happy it's not MY child, we cruise without kids so I am quite forgiving of others since their behaviour is not MY problem. Of course the spitting and ice cube throwing kids were way out of line, and SOMEONE should have stepped in immediatley, A STAFF member should have done something!!!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

DougR - I said that same thing on another cruise gripe website.

Keel Hauling or Walking the Plank!

Maybe putting the family off at the next Port of Call might do the trick!

Fondy: You said that you "enjoy watching little kids run and giggle and have the occasional temper tantrum - takes me back to the good old days when my kids were that spontaneous age". Fondy, there were two words that you used "run" and "watch". There is a time a place for children to run - and other that a "camp" setting on a ship I can't think of another place were running would be appropriate. And as for "watching" little kids having an occasional temper tantrum....and the only place that I can picture that as being excepted would be at home!

Gilly: You said "all children have temper tantrums sometimes". While that may be true...It still is not considered "normal" behavior. And when it is done in the middle of dinner or at a Broadway style show and the parents do not take the child out of either the dinning room or the lounge. And that is being disruptive. You can candy coat it and call it what you like. But it is being disruptive.

Why is it that all social norms get throw out the little round window that I mentioned above when people walk onto a cruise ship.

dar: You said "what is disruptive to one is not disruptive to others and I think some of the problems begins there". Since prior to your response the posts centered around kids running up and down the halls and playing in elevators, was wondering how you felt a about kids throwing ice and spitting on people off the Attrium balcony? Would that classify as being disruptive?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Fondy

I think some of the posters have hit it on the head - intentional disruptive behavior (ie playing in elevators, throwing things, the ice-cube brats) vs unintentional disruptive behavior where the parent deals with the behavior (ie temper tantrums, running in their excitment to get to the next adventure).

While I would not sit by and watch older kids do something so dangerous as throw ice cubes off a balcony, I also would not get bent out of shape if a 2 y/o runs into me in his/her excitment to get somewhere. Different expectations for different ages.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Catnip

While I was on a cruise on Brilliance of the Seas this past April, I saw something that just has to take the cake for bratty, knowlingly destrctive behavior. Brilliance has a central atrium that is 10-11 stories high containing 2 glass elevators. While coming down in the elevator one day, 2 teenagers were up on the 10th or 11th baclony overlooking the open atrium. One of the precious darlings had a chocolate ice cream come he proceded to throw over! They laughed and ran off. It hit some art work while on the way down. I couldn't tell if it hit anyone or not, but I'm sure it made one heck of a nasty mess.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
ESS

All those that are tired of myriad children on their cruises should put that complaint on their evaluations at the end of the cruises. Perhaps if enough people complain, some of the cruise lines will offer cruises for adults only. I know there are a few cruises for adults. There are special singles cruises, gay cruises, kosher cruises - why not cruises for people who don't want to be annoyed by OPC - other people's children?
I personally only book while the little darlings are in school. In that way there is less chance of experiencing the problems that have been so eloquently stated above
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Unruly children& their parents

Doug, I wouldn't have the unruly kids walk the plank, but the plank could possibly used in another way on the proper location on their anatomy.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Passenger

I would agree throwing ice is BAD, a parent not removing a crying child from a show is BAD, a kid playing in the pool with their dad and slightly splashing is NOT bad.

Some of this (ice throwing, golf ball driving) goes back to my comment about the cruise staff not doing their job and stepping in.

If we as cruisers complained when there were really issues vs petty problems there might be a different reaction. Or we might need to contact a manger vs a pool attendent to get results. I would call down to the desk if kids were running in the halls wildly. I might also grab them and haul them to their parents.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Catnip

dar,
Unfortunatly, when they are racing up & down hallways like wild Indians, by the time you call the Purser and they send someone over, the kids are long gone. (I have tried this numerous times). Also, in these days & times, if you grab a kid and try to find the parents, they parents will most likely be insulted and get you for assault! Sad, but true........
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:54 PM
ESS

Speaking of poorly behaving children:

Are some cruiselines more notorious than others for problem children?
Would Carnival have more of this problem than Holland American which usually gets an older crowd?
Is it a function of lenght of cruise - i.e. - more kids on a seven day cruise than a ten day Panama Canal cruise?
I have heard that Princess limits the number of kids on a cruise - although it sure didn't seem like it to me when we booked a Thanksgiving cruise. Does anyone know if other cruise lines limit the percentage of children on board?
Does Disney, a line for encouraging children, have these problems worse than other lines or do they anticipate these types of behaviors and have more staff supervision?
Opinions please!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:49 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

My two pen'orth we sail cunard and have never had a problem with kids, they have been onboard and have been lovely!! I really think it has to do with the attitude of the parents as well, i work in an airport and you see all sorts! We had a lady put her child on a baggage belt, the ones behind the check in desk, so he could enjoy having 'a ride'. the child could have been killed if he had fallen down the chute at the end, he was only about two! But she didn't care.

Then we have your parent whos answer to everything is a smack or to shove their children around, they are rude to everyone they come into contact with, these are also the same people who will jump up and down at every little thing (otherwise known as the i've paid for this and i'm going to wring every little bit of it dry brigade) and the kids are the same, they will hit and kick and be rude to you. If you ask these children to stop jumping on the baggage belt say, the parents will also shout at you! You very soon realise that these are the kind of people for whom nothing is EVER their fault and they will blame you for everything. If their child is injured it is the airport/airlines fault and why should they take responsibility. They are a nightmare!

We also have the parent who asks their children to say please and thank you and they show you courtesy so you of course are corteous back ! These are the kind of children who are a joy to be with.

Airports are in a sense the same as a ship, they are very dangerous places for a child to be unsupervised, yet you see it all the time. Why should i and my fellow collegues be responsable for somebody elses child? if they can't supervise their LD - little darlings- why is that my responsability and it is the same for cruise staff they and i have a job to do and that is not nannying because the parents can't be bothered to? if you can't supervise your children then leave them at home or pick another holiday. i have no objection to children being on ships, i have been sailing since i was 6weeks old and have always been taught to be careful, corteous and respectful of others and the environment in which i am in and i expect the same from others. I don't think it is asking too much.
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Passenger

As a generalization the cruise line you chose and length of cruise will have a corelation to the type of children. Carnival LOTS of kids, but one of the best kids programs, Radisson very few kids, etc. I have never been on Disney so I can say.
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

dar -while I agree with some of what you said, I do take exception to some of it. Why should the cruise staff be the ones to intervene and remove the children from doing something like throwing ice cubes, etc? It is the PARENT'S responsibility....and sad to say, from experience MANY parents will say, "Not MY little darling!" Unless it is caught on video and is irrefutable, the parents will defend said little darlings til the end. I am sorry, parents SHOULD know where their kids are and what they are doing. And when confronted with bad behavior by their little darlings they should accept it instead of defending them!

Amd btw - "slightly splashing in the pool with Dad is NOT bad" - well I guess unless your LD hits someone else..................that is WRONG and an apology should be forthcoming (unless of course it is the children's pool and then maybe the adult should apologize for being there....lol) The pools are small and crowded.....courtesy should be extended by all to all.

Old July 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Passenger

Lisa- if the parents are not around someone else needs to watch out for others who maybe hurt and this should fall to the ship staff not some bystander. I would think the cruise line would have a huge liability issue with slippery floors due to ice being thrown that no one tried to stop. As for splashing in the pool I am talking general play, not belly flops and the like. We had a instance at a hotel when my son was 3 and was slapping the water while my husband held him. There was very little water reaching beyond 6 inches away and someone had a fit bout getting wet (she was in the pool). These splashes were not causing anyone to get wet, yet someone didn't like that there was a child in the pool so complained ( was potty trained and didn't have swim diapers for all those who are now wondering about other possible infractions). There are people who will complain about anything and everything and separating them from the people who are having problems on a ship with true misbehavior and rudeness is what I am saying needs to be done.
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
maursea

Dar...maybe that lady thought she would get wet..perfect example for you to teach your son, you can not always do what you want. Mabye she didn't want to get hair wet or get anything in her eye Older person wants is first before a 3 year olds. They need to learn that.
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Fondy

Maursea: Regarding your post: "Dar...maybe that lady thought she would get wet..perfect example for you to teach your son, you can not always do what you want. Mabye she didn't want to get hair wet or get anything in her eye Older person wants is first before a 3 year olds. They need to learn that."

Come on - If the lady was in the pool she should expect to get wet. I would never tell a 3 y/o or a 300 y/o to not splash in a pool.

I've got a feeling there are a lot of people out there who want us to have all sired robots instead of humans. It seems like because some kids are annoying we want to suck the life out of all kids.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Yeoman

Oh give me a break, a three year old splashing, how bad could that be, the "lady" should have MOVED away. No the old don't get to have there "wants " come first all the time. What a load, if you are in a pool you may get wet. I go to the lake with my kids, sometimes I don't want to get my hair wet either, but I am in water, and there are kids around , so sometimes I get splashed. It is an accident, they aren't "aiming" for me, so guess what , I MOVE.
Doing "cannon balls" or having a "splashing war" ( with an innocent victum stuck in the middle) is not right, fair or acceptable. A three year old splashing at his dad is just not a big deal.
Cancer is a big deal.
War is a big deal.
Losing your house is a big deal.
Divorce is a big deal.

Getting splashed( by accident) is not a big deal.

Whiners are never happy in life.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
First Mate

The root cause here really is that people can't agree on what is appropriate behavior. I would venture to guess, and prepare to get flamed, that most of the parents here don't think a 3 year old splashing with dad is a big deal, but other's might. I will say if you are in the pool and don't ant to get wet you may have wandered into the wrong place.

If adults themselves can't agree on what is acceptable conduct for themselves, how do you expect them to agree on the same thing for children?
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Dar - as I said in my post, many parents will get angry and threaten to sue if anyone (including cruise staff) tries to intervene with their children in any way, shape, or form. Can you imagine some unsupervised child who is reprimanded by a staff person on their behavior running to Mommy or Daddy and complaing that "so and so yelled at me and made me get out of the pool? Who do you think Mommy and Daddry are going to believe? It is so prevalent.....I am on vacation, so YOU watch my kids while I nap in the sun or get blasted on my bucket of Coronas, or play trivia or whatever. When on vacation, parents do not abdicate responsibility of their kids. I agree that an inadvertent splash in the pool is not a big deal, but when that game is conducted in a pool full of other people, maybe it is not the best place at that time to play that game.......me I try and have fun with the kids around me, but when they start making comments and ignoring what others are trying to enjoy, then yes, I do have a problem. I think all of us love kids.......I just wish some parents would love their kids enough to teach them about respect - for others and for themselves!

I will say this - once I was splashed in the face by a young child (about 6 I would guess) - and I thought he was playing so I splashed him back (not hard at all) - well, that little darling ran back and cried to Mommy that someone splashed him in the face...and guess who came running and started berating me and the others in the pool? Thank goodness others were there who witnessed the incident and said that the little darling started it....she finally apologized - but her initial reaction was how DARE you do anything to my kid! How many parents would get beyond that initial reaction?

Old July 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
maursea

Good for you LIsa!! Giving that little brat some of fhis own medicine. Letting him know what it feels like.

When you are in a pool that is mobbed, you don't splash, common sense! And yes in
my book, adult needs are before a 3 year old!! Thats the way I was brought up, I call it respect.

Cruise ship pools are small and there is too many passengers just to let a child do what they want. Let the young children go to the children's pool to splash.

Some parents just have to be told what is proper behavior and what is not, thats the way they most likely were brought up and don't know any better.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Yeoman

Maursea,

Your post is most disturbing. You really have a problem with children. Lisa post did not say she was trying to " give the little brat " a taste of his own medicine.You did. You are hostile to children and they have got to sense that. I bet you will always have negative experinces with children.

On our last four cruises we have been lucky, ( or is it luck?) we haven't had any problems with kids at all.

Edited for spelling.

Post Edited (07-09-04 14:35)
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM
maursea

pg...You should not assume things of posters or people you don't know! I could say to you, you don't respect your fellow passengers. What is wrong to consider others and teaching or showing children that? You have some nerve and are hostile to suggest how I get along with children. Don't you correct your children if they become unruly? If I think children should be corrected and have respect, that does not make me a hostile person.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yeoman

Maursea, I correct my children and others under my care, but I don't refer to it as" giving the little brats a taste of their own medicine," especaillly since we are refering to a SIX year old!

Teaching and showing children good behavouir is important, name calling and vindictiveness do niether.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Passenger

I wish it were confined to just children. On our last cruise- 20-somethings cannonballing into a pool with lots of older folks, then lipping off when someone told them to stop. Sign of their generation, I guess
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:20 PM
maursea

So you have the same values as I have. Stop the complaining. End of discussion.

Good Day
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Unruly children& their parents

Maursea,
You are very abrupt.
Quote:
"Stop the complaining . End of discussion."

There is an old saying" you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar".
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Uh, Maursea? I'm 15 years old and disagree w/ the adults always come before children theory. That's just what prompts people to walk all over others, claiming because they're older, they have the right to do whatever they want. Children do like to have fun, and they should be allowed to, within reason. From your posts on this board, you apparently do not like children, and wish they'd just disappear until they're adults. Well, it's not going to happen, so GET OVER IT!!!
Kerry
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:57 PM
omar

FIRST THING FIRST ANY PROMBLEMS WITH KIDS RUNNING ALL OVER THE PLACE AND MISBEHAVING AND STUFF LIKE THAT I DO NOT BLAME THE CHILD I BLAME THE PARENTS TO ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN IT THE UPBRINGING IF YOU TEACH A CHILD HOW TO BEHAVE IN PUBLIC THAT CHILD WILL LEARN KIDS WILL BE KIDS BUT THE PARENTS SHOULD SUPERVISE THAT CHILD