Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Unruly children& their parents

Omar, Do you realize that typing in BLOCK LETTERS is YELLING online and it is considered to be a bit rude to do your entire post that way? It is also harder to read that way.
Please type in regular letters and save the upppercase letters for when it reallly matters.
Thank you.
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Catnip

Maursea,
YIPEE!! Another cruiser with thoughts like mine. I am constantly appaled at the behaviour of some children these days, especially on a cruise ship. It's like the family gets on board and the parents turn the kids loose to do as they please. A ship is not a child-care center and can be a very dangerous place (especially late at night) for unattended children wandering all over without any adult supervision. If families are going on a "family vacation", then spend time with the kids & be aware of what they are doing, especially late at night.
Haooy sailing!
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:04 AM
First Mate

It's interesting because I took my daughter to the zoo on Friday. I have taought her to be respectful and wait to see the animals, but it was amazing to me how many children would just push her out of the way, and the parents wouldn't say anything, or would even encourage it. I was very tempted to simply take matters into my onw hands, but fortuantley common sense prevailed.

It is really hard to teach manners anyway, but especially when you see so many children aren't being taught the same. BTW, I did say stuff to parents, and got lots of colorful language even though I was polite. Very irritating, and I wonder why parents don't make the effort.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Bahamabound

I have posted on this subject before and just wanted to add my 2 cents worth again. I would say something to a child who is behaving like a wild indian-but not in a demeaning manor, especially if it involves the possibility of hurting others. I had my 5 year old in the kiddie pool on the Dawn in May (there were other toddlers in the pool as well with their parents supervising) and there were 11, 12, and 13 year olds in there acting like maniacs--no parents in sight. I asked them politely if the could stop horsing around-there were younger kids in the pool and someone was going to get hurt. They immediatley stopped. Maybe they did not realize what they were doing and just had to be reminded about the little ones.
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
maursea

A family member of mine went on the Zenith cruise to Bermuda on June 26th. She said groups of kids are that sailing were running down hallways, knocking on cabin doors at 3 am, throwing buffet food at each other, these were just a few things older ones were doing. Younger ones were running around, not a parent in site. She was very disgusted and will not sail in summer months again. Just another story to support the post about unruly children and their parent's.
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
First Mate

I have not had any bad experiences with young children, but it is the maruading groups of pre - mid teens that seem to exhibit the less than exceptable behavior. Often rude in the food line, make rude and unsavory comments to adults, run through hallways, ride the elevators up and down, sneak into the disco.....on and on.

I accept that cruising is one form of family vacation, but it is also an adult vacation, and I feel that those of us, who are childless, (some by choice, some by nature) should also have our rights respected .

If you are letting your child run around the ship and you are not supervising them, then you should expect that they will be treated as an adult, that is, be totally responsible for their unacceptable behavior. I will confront them if they are rude to me and I will report them. If they step in front of me in a line, I will make a comment. I will treat them as I would treat any adult who disrupted my vacation, plain and simple, and if the parent complains to me, I will not be willing to hear it.

I also think it is irresponsible of parents to let children, under the age of 18, roam around a ship alone. Am I the only one who reads the papers. Children ARE the targets of some unsavory charecters.

The Magic Kingdom is a place where kids come first, but I think a cruise ship (sans Disney) is a place where we must co-exist, I will treat you with the same level of respect as you treat me, actually I take that back, I will be respectful of all, but I will not tolerate being treated with out respect....I don't care how old you are.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Beginner

I'm glad I never saw any of this behavior though we've only cruised Disney. My kids aren't perfect-- especially our son who is stereotypically "boy like"-- a little loud and active, but if they did anything on one of the lists of inappropriate behavior in this thread, they'd catch h*ll from me, and watch out when Dad got them. We've taken our son out of restaurants when he was getting noisy (didn't have to on our cruise, the Disney waiters are good with kids). I don't see why other parents don't. "Inconveniences" like leaving your meal to remediate/control behavior is part of being a parent.

I also can't imagine letting my kids have the run of a ship (daughter 10, son 6). Too many things can happen, and I don't just mean perverts. What about an emergency-- like a fire? Would they even know what to do, how to get to the muster station, etc? These parents must be crazy.

Finally, I'd like to say if my kids misbehave and I don't see it, then I want to hear about it.
My husband and I are the type who tend to believe the adult, but obviously we're disfunctional by today's standards, and are probably ruining our children's self-esteem.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM
gm

Default Re: Re: Unruly children& their parents

Hooray for SKOI - I think you and your husband are fabulous parents!
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Passenger

I have to put in my 2 cents about this thread. I am a teacher of 10 year olds, so I can only travel during the summer when the kids are out of school. Recently, my husband and I sailed on the Carnival Miracle. (Yes, the one with the hoax). There were many unruly packs of 10-12 year olds on this ship, but my biggest complaint was the adult R rated midnight show. I noticed quite a few children there, despite the urging of the CD for those under 18 to leave. They were allowed to stay if they were with their parent. This is totally unacceptable IMHO. To avoid crying or unruly children in the dining room, we always opt for the late seating. Maybe this seating should be "adults only". Just a suggestion. Since I am a teacher, I do love kids; I, therefore, have no difficulty disciplining them when I feel it is necessary. Unfortunately, there are too many times on the Carnival Line when children are in need of discipline. I must comment that we met a group of teenagers at one of the game shows who were wonderful. It is a pleasure to meet and talk to young people who are respectful and fun-loving. They seemed to enjoy meeting us also, even asked us later in the week why we weren't at another activity that they attended. My compliments to their parents!!!

Inow know, however, that I will not sail with Carnival again - especially in the summer.
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM
sea-u-later

You called security every night? Glad we werent on your cruise!
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

the ultra voyager (2006) will have a rock climbing wall, skating, in-line track, basketball, and an area on deck 12 with grass and a tree in the middle.....just for public hanging of kids that splash in the pool

o.k. - let's all say this to ourselves out loud
here we go.......

"kids, were SPLASHING in the pool", hmmmm "splashing" , "pool" and "kids"

take your time to think about this one, it could be tricky

now that we've said that out loud, do some of us feel really stupid about being offended by this?????

banker
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Dalech,

How can not saying something to kids who push their way in front of your & your kid be common sense?? I would not let anyone be so rude to me, and if their parents don't say something, I will! Maybe if more people speak up, that type of rude behavior would stop...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Poor parents=rude kids.
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM
First Mate

Hi JeanS,

Common sense prevailed in the sense that saying something would not have accomplished anything, and would of just caused confrontation ruining the day for my kids. The fact is that the parents of these brats don't see it. I have said stuff in the past and their little "angels" have never done anything wrong. Also, the confrontation doesn't results in any action so what's the point?

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004