Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:29 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Never Again RCCL

Kuki,

please accept my most humble apolgies for missinterpreting your comments.

Mea culpa.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Whiteknight

I don't think you'll see these kinds of incidents very often. They usually happen on occasion on cruises of 7 days or less during the spring break period and early summer break. They're usually a result of cheap cruise fares in an attempt to fill the ship. While it's true San Juan is one of the places it's happened, to my recollection, it's also happened out of Miami, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale and probably other places also. With so many places on the ship to buy booze, there's no way to control how much one drinks if he has friends to buy drinks for him. And since these incidents almost always involve the younger crowd, the only effective measure is some sort of age control for passage on the ship. Maybe something like everyone under 21 must be accompanied by someone over 25 unless they have proof of marriage. And stop giving away these cruises at the last minute for next to nothing just to fill up the ship. That brings in the wrong kind of crowd, the trouble makers. Unfortunately, that's one of the pitfalls of the megaships, too many cabins to fill and not enough people with which to fill them.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

I disagree with your concept of getting rid of the last minute cheap fares to eliminate the party crowd. We take advantage of these whenever time permits and we have a lot of seniors in Florida who are on tight budgets who also take advantage of these.

Don't deny the responsible people their opportunity to cruise because you want to avoid letting the irresponsible on board. Deal with the real problem and curtail the improper behavior.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Captain

Thomas:

I too like a bargain, 2 for 1, etc. And I'm sure there are more cruises than not with some sort of "bargain basement" fares available where there is no disorderly conduct whatsoever. But I think we must admit that cheap fares attract several types of people. Cheap skates like me. Senior citizens and others on limited incomes. Young families. and the "tough crowd." You will note that my earlier post states that cheap fares SOMETIMES (not always or even usually) attract such people. It's a shame we can't attract the first three groups without attracting the fourth group from time to time. What the lines need to realize is that if they offer "real cheap fares" it is possible that the fourth group will book. The lines need to have sufficient security personnel and procedures to control matters.

Thanks,
Richard

Post Edited (06-17-04 17:25)
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Never Again RCCL

Jeph, to answer your question...yes and no. <> Okay, what they do do is have a list of those cruises that have on more than one occasion made complaints about certain incidents onboard and demanded refunds, compensation, etc, etc. I have heard them refered toas "professional cruisers" but it was not in a complimentary manner. Rather that these are people that cruise often and are always doing something to get a refund or cash back for minor inconviences. I am not aware of and "do not cruise" lists but quite frankly, it isn't such a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. Trouble is someone who is a jerk will discover they are on this 'list' and will sue for defamation of character or some such rot. <G>
Jim

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Never Again RCCL

Jim:

Interesting information about "professional cruisers" (whom the lines deem as "professional complainers). What do the lines do with their list of such people?

Thanks,
Richard
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Whiteknight

That's true, but the seniors living on a tight budget that you refer to, get their last minute budget deals from the internet cruise brokers and senior citizen centers who alert them to the deals. The animals I was talking about found out about the deals through the local trash tabloids courtesy of the cruiselines media department. How did you think all those local bums just happen to turn up at the last minute to fill the ship? It wasn't an accident and it wasn't information that was disseminated at the senior citizen centers or thru travel agents.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Captain

Whiteknight:

I also agree with you. You bring up an interesting angle, which is how the "bargains" are marketed. There are "bargain conscious" people, because they are shrewed business people, Fixed income folks, young families, or trash. You are correct that a seller markets to these groups in different ways. If I found a cruiselne were marketing to the "tough crowd" via specific media, I would avoid them like the plague.

Thanks,
Richard
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:39 AM
ESS

Hey - I like a cruise bargain just as much as the next guy. It doesn't mean I act like an obnoxious slob when I am aboard the ship. It is something else - perhaps a breakdown of civility in society in general?
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:26 AM
First Mate

subject of compensation:

I was on a ship in the spring of last year and I slipped and fell on deck and injured my knee. It did put a damper on the rest of my cruise. I wrote to the cruiseline and they sent my husband and I a 15% discount coupon, a coupon for an exursion, and a promise of a nice bon voyage gift. Well, at first I was a bit discouraged at the 15% discount because part of my cruise was ruined at what I considered the cruise line's negligence.

Well, in the fall, we took advantage of this discount, et. al. I cannot tell how well we were treated. Cabin upgrade, several bottles of wine, people stopping by to make sure we all were okay. It was very nice and more than made up for what happened in the spring.

Upon return, I sent a glowing letter of thanks and accomodation for all the kind service and fuss they made over us. I named names and gushed on and on about how wonderful the cruise was. Guess what....the cruiseline sent me ANOTHER discount coupon for 10% and a promise of a bon voyage gift (which was a HUGE basket of wine, fruit and cheeses last time).

Anyway, my point is this, please don't be afraid of contacting the cruise line, on any business if there is a problem. We, as consumers have rights and should demand high levels of service on matter how much we pay or what business it is that we are dealing with.Having a sales background, I always believe in stating what you want as compensation for your inconvienince. It is called "going for the close". I use it in all my business dealings. You may not get it and your request may not be equitable in relation to the problem, but I think taking a stand has its merits... as long as you have a valid complaint and can back it up with tangable facts. But if this is a tact that you take, you must also write about the good stuff. I was told, that as a result of my letter, the people I named would recieve written accomodation in their files.

Old June 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pebbs - If you don't mind me asking. Why do you feel that's its the cruislines fault that you slipped. The only reason that I am asking, on a recent cruise my wife and I were walking along the deck and she accidently walked into the waterslide knocked herself out. She wasn't paying attention to where she was walking....It was an accident. And, while the staff was attending to her and fellow passenger suggested that I complain to someone. COMPLAIN to someone! Complain about what I asked. It was an accident...she wasn't paying attention. It was OUR fault. No ones elses!
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
First Mate

The deck was very wet and there were no signs or any attempt warn passengers or create a safer enviroment. The doctor told me that it happens all the time.

Old June 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks - I was just curious!
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Whiteknight

I mean this as no reflection on what anyone else has said, but I've slipped on a wet deck many times. I get up early in the morning and jog around the deck and it's often wet from the dew in the air. If they put up signs everywhere to tell me what I should be able to see and reasonable to expect, I'd probably have to do hurdles instead of jogging. I look at it this way. It's a ship in the middle of the ocean with decks exposed to the weather. Why in God's name would I be surprised to see some water on deck?
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
pg

I have to agree that it would be assumed that a deck is wet, it is after all on a ship, which is in fact on water. But I do live on the ocean and travel on ships often( ferries and fishing ) so I would of course know this, if perhaps someone was from an inland state, this might not be the case.
Old June 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pebbs you did the right thing by notifying the ship of your slip and fall.
What would happen if 2 yrs down the road she starts having knee problems and the Dr says it is due to her slip and fall on the ship. The ship needs to know to report the accident to their insurance co just in cause Pebbs needs to file a claim. I feel
if she does need medical care why should her insurance co have to pay for it. JMHO.
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Debbie Alles

Default Re: Re: Never Again RCCL

Dear White Knight:

I have my story straight. I was on the floor playing the game with my husband. Because we were so close to the incident we were called as witnesses. The 18 year old and his family were not drunk. This was indicated on the police report. I can guarantee you his family was not sitting blocking the stairs... ages of family 18- 22-48-50-72-72 They were on a family trip with grams and gramps.
Jeez talk about misinformation. The reason I do not usually respond or write on message sites is bcause there is always someone disputing an honest attempt to give out information that could help others or share experiences.
Thanks for listening
Debbie
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Whiteknight

We may be talking about two similar incidents. The incident my friends told me about occurred on the Adventure of the Seas in April and I believe you said you just returned and I noticed your post was in June. If that's the case, I guess these incidents are not as rare as I thought they were and I apologize for suggesting your facts were incorrect. Sorry!
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:45 AM
First Mate

whiteknight

a few more facts....my knee immediatly swelled to the size of a grapefruit and it was the waitress on deck who insisted that I go to the infirmery. And yes, I did want it documented in case of any long term injury. I am not one for bringing suit, but I do think the combination of a calypso band playing, drinks being served and a wet deck is a recipe for disaster. I can only believe the my injury was minor in comparison to what can actually happen. This happened directly in front of the band, I would think that the cruise line would take some measure to reduce it's liability by mopping or something. I do feel as though steps could have been taken to mitigate such accidents.

But, I do think that the point was missed. I believe that any business wants to know when things go wrong, and they can recognize those customers who have a legitamate issue versus those who are looking for something free. I will also point out, once again, that I was very grateful for the kind response I recieved.

I am a repeat customer with this cruiseline, despite this unfortunate occurance that DID put a damper on the rest of my cruise. Their response was kind and swift and made me feel like a valued customer.

Post Edited (06-21-04 09:11)

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM
Admiral

"but the seniors living on a tight budget that you refer to, get their last minute budget deals from the internet cruise brokers and senior citizen centers who alert them to the deals."........................Whiteknight.

I'm real curious how you came upon this data!

I know many seniors who book their cruises last minute through their travel agents who can't even tell you if there is a senior citizen center in town.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

pebbs I need to ask you a question. You stated in your earlier post that the ship gave you a 15% discount coupon, a coupon for an excursion, and a promise of a nice bon voyage gift....and you said that you were discouraged at the 15%. Since there is no book that list what the standard rate should be....what do you think that the ship should have given you for recognizing your "legitmate issue"

My wife was treated at the scene by two members of the ship's crew....the nurse gave us ice packs, and they followed up with us.

As I said in my earlier post.....passengers thought that the ship owed me something.....said that there should be warning signs, etc. Warning signs for what; "Careful, Do Not Walk Into The Slide", or "Caution - Waterslide Ahead". I noticed that the signs that are posted are often time ignored...and you can see posts to the effect all over this board.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
First Mate

It was a four night cruise, 3 full days and one day was ruined. I felt like something in the order of 33% would have been appropriate. I negotiate large government contracts for a living....you have to start somewhere.

GLW315, I sense you disaggree with me, and while I respect your opinion and your right to disaggree, I still know that I did the right thing for me. The cruise line has validated that.

Providing a discount on a future cruise cost them no more that it would if they had run a special, yet in doing so they retained a good customer who has reffered over 10 other customer to them. I am an excellent ambassador for this cruise line and the cruiseline's booking agent who helps me and my group everytime we sail (2x year)And yes, I do feel as though they share in the blame for my fall, period, the end. I am not angry about it, if just feel like it is a fact. Precautions should be taken for such hazardous conditions.

Old June 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Whiteknight

I honestly don't know how this information is obtained by the sources(internet agencies and senior citizen centers). All I know is that I'm signed up with several internet agencies and they send me these last minute deals on my email. As for the senior citizen centers, I'm in a jazzercise program( not specifically for seniors as I'm not one) at the center in my city and the management posts these special deals on the community board by the entrance where the seniors meet. They update it every week or so. Now whether the cruiselines contact them with the deals or they contact the cruiselines as a community service for their members, I don't know. Obviously, as far as the travel agencies or internet cruise brokers are concerned, you don't have to be a senior citizen, since I'm not. You only need to sign up with them to get these price special alerts, which I did. I didn't think that this was any great secret. If I know about it and I'm not the brightest kid on the block, it should be common knowledge.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pebb: Not sure if I disagree or not. It's just that you read so many posts from people that think that the cruiselines owe them..It's like I said in my earlier posts, people thought that I should complain...and thought that we should get something. As, I told them then....it was an accident. She walked into the slide. And, I told them it wouldn't have mattered it there was sign....She was talking and not paying attention. But the sad commentray of our society is. There were people standing there that said they would have complained. Was my wife's cruise ruined, No! Were we inconvienced, alittle. But the cruiseline did not owe us anything. And, we actually had people walk up to us later during the cruise and asked us how we were compensated.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:27 PM
Admiral

"They update it every week or so. Now whether the cruiselines contact them with the deals or they contact the cruiselines as a community service for their members, I don't know.".......................Whiteknight.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Regards,
Thomas