Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM
ESS

Default Rude Behavior in the Theater

I am generally very happy with the service on cruiseships. The few problems I have are with my fellow passengers. Here are some that I have notice on my trips.

1. People are informed over and over again that they cannot save seats for others in the theaters. Does that stop anyone from saving whole blocks of seats in said theaters? Of course not!

2. Although recording devices are not allowed during performances in the theaters - taking pictures with flash is allowed. Thus flashes are constantly going off in the darkened theater during the performances. As a result - those sitting near the photographers are blinded as a result of the flashes. I find it most annoying and that activity detracts from the enjoyment of the performance.

2a. WIth the advent of digital cameras - some feel it is necessary to record every moment while they are on the ship. One evening I was sitting in the theater before a performance, and a person directly in front of me had her picture taken by a person in front of her. Thus without warning - a flash went off less than ten feet away from me in my face. Unfortunately many individuals do not have the common sense or decency to insure that others will not be blinded by the taking of the picture. These individals should ensure that their photo activities will not cause discomfort to others. Of course that is asking a great deal of some individuals these days!

3. People must be seperated during the entire day. That is the only reason I can think of why they must talk during the entire performance. It is unfortunate that many of these individuals leave their hearing aids in their cabins - as their companions almost have to shout at them. In addition, many individuals are under the impression that overtures before the actual performance is little more than live elevator music. These individuals should understand that their incessant talking is distracting to those around them, and that they should try to exercise some restraint during these rather brief performances.

The above proves the old adage - "common sense is not so common"
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Rude Behavior in the Theater

Saving seats is always a problem - lounge chairs, cafe tables, etc. Why should it be any different for the theater?

Today's society teaches that everyone is a special individual. Using that line of thinking, you should want to save every moment of your life for posterity. Who cares if it inconveniences someone else - you are the special one. Obviously, you want to take the absolute best photos of everything. With digital cameras, you can take 30 pictures of the same thing and delete the 29 you don't like. It's not like film cameras where you actually have to pay money to have the pictures developed.

You shouldn't get me started on the talking in theaters! The invention of TV/VCR/DVD seems to have made people forget about proper theater behavior. People have become used to being entertained at home where they can behave as they wish. I don't like to go to the movies or theater anymore because there are people who do not know proper behavior. I was at a play on Sunday. There was a man in the 3rd row whose cell phone rang during the performance. He proceeded to have a conversation while the cast talked over him. An older man at the end of the row I was sitting on must have forgot his hearing aids. He asked his female companion (wife?) "What did they say?" about every 10 minutes. I couldn't enjoy the performance.

I really don't think the majority of people display the behavior traits mentioned above. I think it is really only about 1 or 2% of the population. The problem is that 1-2% really irritate the rest of us because they keep showing up wherever we are.

I will now step down from the soap box.

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Since I know the seat saving thing will never end, I don't sweat it. On the other hand, my freinds know better than to ask one of us to save seats for everyone. I think a two to three to one ratio is okay....if there are 5 of us and 2 of go a bit early to save a table, I do not feel too bad about that.

This is just the nature of the beast. In a perfect world, no one would ever save seats and we could all sit with who we wanted to, but that is just not the case. This sort of thing perpetuates itself. I hate to have to get to a perfomance 1/2 hour early just so that I can sit with my group, and I wouldn't have to if 3 people saving 30 seats each wouldn't do that . The more people save seats, the more people will get there even earlier to save even more seats. In fact, right now I am writing this from a lap top so that I can save some seats for my cruise in the fall!!!

I don't think these people are being rude, I just think they have separation anxiety.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM
ESS

kyriecat - please don't get off your soapbox - you need to stay on it longer!
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

It would be nice if people in the theatres would move to the middle of the row, so the people coming after them wouldn't have to climb over them. It would also eliminate single empty seats scattered about. I am remembering how it is in disney world where the announcements ask you to slide all the way down to the end and to fill in every seat, so that there is room for everyone.

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Valentina1209-

While I agree it would be easier not to have to climb over people and not have single seats open all over the place, personally I hate arriving on time, or early for that matter, finding the "perfect" seat, just to have someone come in late and expect me to move. I'm not suggesting that's what you're saying, but it is something that bothers me in theaters.

Paula
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Maursea

My husband and I save seats all the time on the ship. I am not seating somewhere else to see the show.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Crazy Idea, but...

what if the cruiseline assigned you seats in the theatre, just like dinner when you boarded. Yes, I think the quality of the seats would be dictated by the fare you paid, but it might eliminate some of the anxiety of trying to get seats together.

I know this plan probably has a million problems, but just a thought...

what do you think??

Old June 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

you make a valid point Paula...those who arrive early should get their choice of seats, and many people prefer the aisle over the middle of the row for various reasons. I was just thinking of a way to eliminate all the empty single seats in prime areas so more people could be accomodated. I guess there's no perfect answer.

Old June 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Gerif

Default Re: Re: Rude Behavior in the Theater

We like sitting on the aisle and don't mind arriving early to do so. I hate arriving at a wedding, claiming an aisle seat to see better and take photos, and then have late arrivals expect you to move in.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

We ran into a problem with seat savers on our last cruise. After making our way to the center of a row we were told that the two seats we wanted were saved. We found two more seats in the row directly behind - not a big problem, we were pretty far to the back of the theater, but no obstructed view. What bothered me, though, was that the original two seats which we wanted were never taken! Those seats remained empty for the entire performance! In my eye those seat savers were rude, greedy and impolite!
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Guilty! But am I forgiven because I saved 2 seats for our friend Thomas and Mrs. Thomas? Holy cow, I was so excited about running into some CM's in the boarding line I just couldn't resist..

I work as a House Manager at Emory University theatre ocassionally. One of my jobs is to get people to walk to middle of the row and NOT leave any single seats between them and other patrons when we have a full house. We call it "sitting friendly."

Fortunately, because of the nature of the performances at Emory, we have mostly repeat patrons who understand the term and are happy to oblige.

Sitting friendly on a cruise should be easy since most of us are feeling pretty darn friendly!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I could not agree with you more on this one. I think that the subjects of saving seats and talking during performances has been pretty well covered by others who have responded to this one.

I will, however, give my throughts on the photography issue. I am an advanced amateur photographer and with a passion for photography, but the one thing that I won't do is take my camera into a theater venue. I agree with the original posting in that it is rude, even when allowed. It is also pretty stupid to try to take photos during a performance. The combination of the very dim house lights and very bright stage lights of the theater setting makes it VERY difficult to produce photos that are recognizable as to what they even are. You have to have the right equipment, including a pro lighting set up and a very complete knowledge of photographic exposure to use pro equipment. Why bother others around you when you can't get good photos of the performance anyway???

I had to laugh too about the photos of friends in the theater. I bet the person taking that photo of their friends really made a hit with their friends when they saw photos that gave them that "deer in the headlights" look which is the usual look for photos taken in venues with theater lighting. Again, why blind the people around you when the photos you take are not going to look very good in the first place. If you want to "capture the moment" why not take a photo of your friends at the entrance to the theater, perhaps with the play bill or show poster behind them as a background. The photo would be of a lot better quality and you would still have some of the ambiance.

Old June 19th, 2004, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to ttbryson

ok i agree with you on the talking thing... people shouldnt do it

but I mean complaining about how people take pictures too much? ok, dont take pictures in a theatre. what do you want people to do, not take pictures? give and oral warning?!? "EVERYONE CAUTION A PICTURE IS ABOUT TO BE TAKEN!!!" ya, well guess what they're on vacation. "Ohh, look at me I would prefer not to have rude persons taking pictures within a 50 yard radius of me i dont like the flash"

--------------------
HAL - Oosterdam - May 05
RCI - Mariner of the Seas - August 04
HAL - Volendam - July 03
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a bit of a concern about assigning seating based on the price you paid for your cruise. I booked early and found a good deal - does that mean I should be in the nosebleed section?

Just respect others - seems a simple enough thing.

What was the golden rule, "Treat others as you would want to be treated yourself" - something like that?

Tracey
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Maursea

I have seen people on ships saving almost a whole row of seats. I dont agree with that.
But, I can see 2 people saving a seat till the other one gets there. And if I arrive first and early to pick a seat that I want. Why should I have to give my seat up to a person that arrived just before the show starts. They can climb over me.
Old June 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Beginner

I won't stand for a whole row of seats being taken up. Four seats are OK, but after that I get testy. I feel this way, I paid plenty for this cruise and I got my behind down in time for this show so I should be able to sit in a decent seat if it's empty. If someone has a problem with it too bad. They are in the wrong, not me.
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:25 PM
ESS

Right on TammyB
TammyB for cruise director!!
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I think this swings both ways... I dont agree with saving a block of seats, BUT I will save a seat for others in my party IF I happen to beat them to the theater... besides, who is really gonna want my 14 yr to sit with them ?
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
pg

steph texas, why wouldn't someone want your 14 yrold to sit next to them, I mean he is none of the well behaved kids isn't he? I have no problem at all sitting next to anyone( as long as they don't have terrible BO) .
I do have a problem with people saving "blocks of seats though, that is rude and against the " rules" !
Interesting how some posters( not you in particular) go on and on about kids and rules, but then have no problem breaking rules themselves! Save a seat for your husband /wife/ travel partner, while they go to the bathroom, but other than that, you are nothing more than a rude rule breaker, and remember we don't want kids to break rules so why should we as adults!??
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Passenger

If you are meeting a couple at the theatre there is nothing wrong with saving two seats so you can sit with that couple. I agree you cannot take this to the extreme but if you plan to meet someone at the theatre what are the odds that you arrive at the exact time. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a couple of seats.

Live and let live.

Gilly
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:26 AM
First Mate

The cruise lines could also get a bit more involved and "disscouarge" those who want to save seats for the entire Osmand family.

Our group is usually around 6 or 7 people and a few of us will go early and grab one of those table in the back with the big couches. It is much easier to save those seats without ruffling any feathers.

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Admiral

pg... I am talking about 1 kid ! Yeah, its a stretch of the rules... but Im not going to argue with you over it... call me a rule breaker if need be ! Not only would my 14 yr old NOT want to sit with strangers... I wouldnt want him to ! He would be quite unhappy... but like I said I would NEVER save an entire block of seats... just my opinion.... worth about 2 cents ! End of story for me....
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Beginner

After reading this post again, I have to say this is a touchy subject and hard to address. Having a large family myself I totally understand and agree with a large family wanting and needing to sit together. I think the problem is when some people save seats for groups of friends and some end up not showing up. Why can't at least some of them meet at a certain time and go together and then save a few seats for those not there yet? I also agree that the cruise ship needs to become more involved. Like maybe usher people to their seats like Disney does with their shows?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

This has nothing to do with seat saving, but I have to add a #4 to your list of rude behavior in the theater:

4. People who take off their nasty shoes when they sit down, only to distract you with their even nastier, fungus-infected, smelly feet!

On my last cruise, hubby and I were dressed in our formal wear at the show and some guy in ragged shorts and worn out shoes came in and plopped down next to me. Then, he took off his awful shoes and stretched his legs out way in front of him, so not only did the people coming in and drink servers have to climb over Mount Fungi, but I kept being distracted by those gross things moving around in my peripheral vision. I was a little worried he would even soil my gown with his little foot science experiment.

Hubby and I named the man "Tofu Guy."

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I hope this isn't considered rude, but when my family of 9 (5 adults, 4 children) cruise together, we always have the adults arrive at the theater early and get the seats while the children enjoy the kid's activities. You have to arrive fairly early (especially if Bingo preceeds the show) to get enough seating for 9 together and the children just get too restless with the long wait. If we can get one of the big couches, then we just have the 5 adults spread out to occupy the whole thing. If we have to take the theater seating, then we sit every other chair and each save one seat. About 15 minutes before the show starts, one of us leaves to go pick up the children at the kid's club.

I hope this isn't considered rude, but the kids really enjoy the shows and are well behaved if they don't have to endure the long wait.
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Theatres and cinemas should be treated in the same way you would treat church, with respect for others around you and for what is happening in front of you.

But it's the me me me society that we now live in, unfortunatley.

And before some SA remarks on it, yes I have had fun in church and it can be entertaining
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Jane Marlow

Default Re: Re: Rude Behavior in the Theater

I agree: unless you are elderly or handicapped in some way, you can walk around me. Otherwise, I will not give up my seat for anyone. If you ask, I will smile politely and decline.

I always arrive early or I don't arrive at all. Being late is not chic.
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Jane, I agree... I think if Im there when Im supposed to be... Im not moving over for some one who shows up @ the last second... unless its for my son ! Then, I will ! Its like going to see a new released movie... if you want a good seat they recommend you get there 30 to 45 minutes early....
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Admiral

I don't have a problem with people saving seats for another couple, for instance. As long as they show up and occupy those seats. But please, don't save a couple of seats for "phantom" friends who never show up just because you want the extra room. And for Pete's sake, don't save 8 seats for family members who may, or may not, show up but you want them "just in case."

Show a little respect for others.

Regards,
Thomas