Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Art Auction - Bait & Switch!

I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of art at the on-board auction back in April. I even had several pieces framed and matted.

Well, I finally started receiving my 12 pieces, and all arrived as expected. Except one. It was one that I really wanted. One that, after I bid on it, got a bonus of a matching piece from the same artist. So I paid to have both pieces framed, and cleared spots on either side of my fireplace for these two pieces.

Here it is, 2 months later, and one side of my fireplace is blank. So I called the gallery and was told that they OVERSOLD the print so too bad for me, I don't get it, and I shouldn't count on getting my money back, either! Instead, they're going to send me (maybe sometime next week) a list of "alternative" pieces. WHAT THE $#@#%#% ?!?!

If I WANTED the dang alternative, I would have BID on the alternative! I'm getting billed for art I don't get? I don't think so!! Plus, now it's going to take EVEN LONGER to receive an alternative piece!

What a rip!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:43 AM
jamiegunter

Default Re: Art Auction - Bait & Switch!

Wow that sucks. We to have bought alot at each auction, I would hate that
if I didnt get what I ordered. Is this Parkwest that you are dealing with? I would
call and ask to speak with a supervisor. Thats rediculous that they want to give
you a piece of art that you didnt bid on. Good Luck, let us know what happens
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Admiral

How did you pay for it? If you put it on a credit card, which you always should do, dispute the charge , in writing , for non receipt of the merchandise .
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I recently sailed on the Miracle out of Baltimore...We bid and won several pieces. Everything came shipped UPS.

Just an FYI....We were told by a guest of Park West at one of the auctions - that the auctions are conducted in international waters and it is extremely difficult to litigate any disputes.

You can stop payment of the credit card purchase....but, you may not be able to resolve getting your painting.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Park West Galleries Inc. Is a US company based in Michigan

Address and phone are :

29469 Northwestern Highway
Southfield MI 48034

Phone 248- 354- 2343
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks!
Yes, it was through Park West, and I charged it to the Park West credit card to get the no interest/no payment for 13 months deal.

Unfortunately, I'm out of luck as far as the artwork goes, unless someone at Park West is talented enough to recreate it, or charming enough to get the artist to make one especially for me. ;-)

My plan is to wait until the package of alternates get here (should arrive in about 1 week), then call up and make them work me a deal to satisfy me. If I'm not happy with what they offer, I think I will take your advice and dispute the credit card charge. At least then I'll only have to live with my disappointment and not with some cheap and ugly piece I didn't want!

Thanks again! I'll let you know what happens.

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

I work in Southfield, MI ... want me to go kick some butt?
~Cassie
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, please, Cassie!
Give them a good swift kick for each day I've had to wait for "someone to contact me immediately regarding my alternates."

I was blown the first puff of "your-list-of-alternates-should-arrive-any-day-now" smoke on June 17th. I got nothing.

After calling AGAIN, I was told that they would note in my account for someone to contact me ASAP. That was on June 21st. Again, nothing!

Rolling into July now, well over the "allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" period, and all I've gotten out of Park West is a bill for undelivered art and a bunch of worthless promises!

BUYER BEWARE! I find this type of after-sale service completely unacceptable! I called again on June 30th to tell them so and had to leave a message. I wonder if I'll ever receive a call back. Or any artwork. Or just more smoke up the...
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:17 AM
Yeoman

had the same thing happen to me and i refused any of the alternates and i asked for my money back-----lo and behold they "found" the piece that i purchesed and it was sent to me without any problems-----wont even go to the auction for the free champage- also keep getting brochures about an auction being held about 10 min from where i live and i just throw the brochure away----------after looking at the print pix---it was park west

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:02 PM
Admiral

I would simply call the credit card company & put a stop to the charges... that should end all the problems !
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, steph. I would, but it's on the Park West credit card!

Yargh!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:05 AM
Admiral

hmmm... well... call them & tell them you're not paying til you get what you paid for ? I feel for ya Jag .... sometimes it just SUCKS !! keeping my fingers crossed for ya !
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Parrot Mom

Had a problem with a Park West auctioneer on our cruise last year and we wrote directly to the head of Park West (never start at the bottom)... never got a response.. but did receive unexpectedly a print that we loved a large Tarkey)... On our last cruise Iheard the auctioneer tell somebody that it was worth $500.00... that said.. they usually check when they sell you to see how many are in stock.. I've been very happy with Park West... but was happier with another group.. this cruise we bought a "take off" that my husband and I thought was an absolute steal, another picture the auctioneer asked for a bid and we bid some stupid price like $55.00...and got it... The auctioneer in training told us that if we had a problem with a specific auctioneer and were treated rudely and we were she no longer will be working for Park West.... I hope not.. Some cruisers gamble, some drink...we go to art auctions to learn... and okay...we buy.lol..
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM
n crowson

We sailed the Splendor on May 25 and purchased 2 pieces..of course the one we most wanted has not been delivered..all communication has been from me to them with no result except to hear we will try to find it...
Not sure why they did not find it from May to July??
Have been talking to "Casey" she says they don't do much with e-mail as I had requested specific written info on what was being done to find and frame the art..
Tried their web site today and it did not work at www.parkwestart.com..
Charged on their card..will probably receive some substitute art unframed...

Any ideas on how to talk to exec's???
I have a photo of art I wanted to e-mail them..

Norm
Old July 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,
I share your frustration! All I can say is to keep calling them at 800-521-9654.
I have had to do all the follow-up as well. I asked where the #%#$ my alternatives were and they said they'd send them right away.

Called back and left a message on their voice mail system which said "someone will contact you within 48 hours." That was another big fat lie! I called again 2 days later only to hear "that department has gone home for the weekend. I'll make sure someone contacts you Tuesday." Yet ANOTHER big fat lie!

Had to call again after I received no response as promised and told them where to hang their art. They said they'd credit my ParkWest account, but it would take up to 2 billing cycles (or 2 months) for the credit to show up!

One kind cruiser gave me the name Albert Scaglione to contact. I'm going to do a google search on the name and see if I can get a phone # or email address. Meanwhile, please let me know if you can shake any more information out of these Park West dorks!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Parrot Mom

Do you still need the phone # and address....my art work arrived and with it the information you might need...
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Got it! Thanks. Parrot Mom!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat