Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal
Default Continuous rocking motion after cruise has ended - Help for

Do you have a continuous rocking motion after cruise has ended? For some people this feeling lasts a shor time and goes away. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling get longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome. It is generally thought to be an inability of the brain to re adjust to land.

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this.
This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact me or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Continuous rocking motion after cruise has ended - Help

I thought this might be a joke at first, and almost made an idiot of myself (again). Does the perception of motion go away when you are on a ship? Just curious, if it does, the "cure" or at least relief could be rather pleasant.

Old December 6th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rockingal

It does feel like a cruel joke, but after a few years it gets very exhasting. The rocking wouldn't be so bad, but we experience what we call "brain fog", some part of your brain is continually trying not to rock that it cuts down on your concentration and other skills. I used to work as a part time bookkeeper, now it is very hard for me to sit at a computer, work with numbers, go shopping (narrow isles, florecent lights). I feel normal while I'm driving, skiing, riding horses, on a boat. A lot of us try lots of exercise - I do kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do, skiing, running. Hopefully it will leave one day. But I will never go on another cruise after it goes away. Luckly I am not affected by plane flights so I can still travel. Some of us have gotten it from rocking in a rocking chair, waterbeds, two hour boat rides, elevators. And no we aren't crazy, even though our doctors who have never head of it think we could be!! The average time for men is less, women have longer symptoms. Thanks for your questions. We just want to help the few people out there who are searching the web for answers, like I did after my 1st cruise.
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Yeoman

I too feel the motion only after a cruise as well (Im an avid boater and dont have problems with that). The first night I feel a little rocking on board, but it doesnt bother me. Its much worse after the cruise, and I dont get sea sick. Thankfully, within a few days its gone. I cant imagine feeling it for months or years! I wonder if age plays a part in it......when I was younger I loved spinning around on things, but now the effects are much worse. I read that it has something to do with the fluid in your ears decreases as you age, causing balance to become less stable-if that makes sense.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 2nd, 2005, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

That's why the pharmaceutical companies make Meclazine. Ask for it next time to rid yourself of the vertigo.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Hats off to you RockingGal and your husband Dr Kurt,,,,you do not give in,,, do you?

Yeah,,, for you and your group in trying to spread the news to a wider audience ,,a good move....

Nice to see you have moved your message from the Health at Sea practical advice board to Gripes.

Actually from your email to me, you appear a nice person and I am sorry for your condition. But I do not see ships as either being the cause of or the reason for ongoing health problems regarding motion sickness.

On this and other practical boards it would maybe be more constructive to post a header that included "if you in normal life, suffer from these conditions, then dont cruise",,because this may happen....and because of this. Thats advice
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Passenger

meclazine can be purchased at the pharmacy counter for much less than Dramamine or Bonnine brand labeled.

I take a bottle with me, and pre-med at night before he cruise for a few days. Works wonders. It is a slight sedative, so be careful drinking alcohol.