Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM
ESS

Default People who take food and then don't eat it

I have watched with interest, amusement and sometimes with amazement how much food people take with them on the buffet line and don't eat. I have observed people walking away from huge amounts of food. Yes, sometimes I don't eat some things that I don't like- but I have seen enough food removed from an individual that could feed two adults.
I usually sample a small amount of food when I go through a buffet. In that way I
a. sample a variety of foods to determine what I will want more of
b. am able to eat most of the food on my plate before it becomes cold
c. am able to leave the table leaving an empty plate behind.
Returning to the buffet for more food is not a hardship.
While I won't get into a philosophical discussion about people starving in various parts of the world, I would like to bring up one practical matter. The more food that is wasted is merely reflected in increased fares for future cruises.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default Re: People who take food and then don't eat it

ESS...I am right there with you!

When I'm at a buffet I only take small samples (1-2 bites) of items. Then, if I like it, I go back for more. If I don't like it, its not wasted food. And even if I like something, I still don't fill up my plate for the same reasons you stated above. I can enjoy the cold food cold, and the hot food hot.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi ESS,
I haven't really paid attention to that, but I'm sure what you say is true, I am also not one of them. Although I have been known to visit the buffet a second time and then there is the dessert area, so thats another visit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Whiteknight

Well I don't take that much of anything, unless it really looks good, since I'm on a constant diet. However, if something really looks good, I'll gamble on it and take a full serving. If it's doesn't taste as good as it looks, I'll leave it on the plate. I think that easier then spending 30 minutes going through the line a second time. I'm not that picky an eater anyway and if I don't like it, they're probably going to end up throwing it away.
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Beginner

And have you ever watched some of those people eat.....I think that they need to replace the spoons with garden shovels.

But it is no different than any of those "all you can eat" places like Golden Corral or Cactus Willeys. Some people eat like there is no tomorrow and there is alot of waste.

Basically, people just don't care....They paid they $8.95 for the "all you can eat" breakfast...and they are going to get there monies worth.....even if alot if it ends up in the trash...
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:18 AM
First Mate

I agree with this tread wholeheartedly, in fact, sometimes I wish they would give you smaller cuts of beef.

I have always been the "eyes bigger than my stomch'" type, but after a few years of getting so full I didn't feel like doing anything for a few hours, I learned.

gotta save room for the ice cream!!

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM
maursea

This is really silly! Watching what people take from a buffet and eat. Come on, don't you have other things to take up your time on your cruise? You have to stare at them to see what they are taking and eating. And, its so rude to stare. And manners is another gripe.
And some of them need shovels, what do you look like when you eat?? Are you all so perfect to be picking on your fellow cruisers?
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I totally agree with maursea...I pay no attention to what other people are eating! WOW, that is so absurd. I guess some people have nothing better to do on a cruise???!! Must be the same people that run the wardrobe police.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Have you ever heard of injecting alittle humor....that is all that I mean't by the shovel comment. And, no I didn't sit there and stare....did need too.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

There is absolutely no humor in what you posted. It was mean.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM
maursea

Sick humor about people eating..I have better things to do on my cruise. If I have nothing to do, I sit and enjoy looking at the ocean I don't like to make fun of people eating, or how big or small they are, or their outfits. I care for my fellow man!
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Admiral

This is a gripes board maursea. It's about.....you guessed it......griping about the things that bug you on a cruise.

Do we have to define this everytime an argument comes up? I don't think ESS said it RUINED their cruise, or that all they could think about was the buffet line. It was just a post on the gripes board.

No more or less valid than any other gripes - including any of yours.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: People who take food and then don't eat it

Wow those sure are high horses maursea and sherri1 are riding.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is a "Gripe" board. Doesn't that mean we can gripe back? Are we supposed to agree with everything said here? And I'm on a "high horse" because I don't monitor other people when I'm cruising? If wasn't the original post I had a gripe with. It was a rude comment by another. The waste does bother me at times. I've seen plates piled high with pizza just sitting on a table unattended and thrown away. I just figure it's kids. What kid wouldn't be fascinated with all the pizza they want?
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
ESS

As to those who don't think this is a legitimate gripe.
Please review the last comment that I made
More waste means more expense that result in higher prices for cruises for all of us.
When it comes to higher prices that I have to pay - u can bet I will gripe!!
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Admiral

This thread is so funny in a sad sort of way, I'm talking about the social reflection regarding waste of food and overeating from countries that do it on an daily basis and suddenly because they are on vacation,,,,they notice it !!!

Give me a break, why not go to the next stage and watch your neighbours trash can for all the good, unfinished food that came out that house.

You pay a price for your cruise, that price means at anytime I can go and eat what I what, when I want and and if I leave some behind, fine.....No one is going to be without or starve on the cruise because of it,,are they?

Some of us live in countries that use most of the worlds food, oil, gas, wood and other natural resources and we produce the most toxins that will kill this planet. So thats why I find this so funny, that suddenly on a rich persons vacation the idea of wasting anything would even be considered when we do it everyday of our lives
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Again, I will say that I was not trying to be rude or nasty...I was just being funny....you haven't seen or heard a comedian parody the sterotypical buffet diner...I was being kind considering some to the things that I have heard.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:46 PM
maursea

Wow those sure are high horses maursea and sherri1 are riding.

Oh yeah. at least I got some class!
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:08 PM
First Mate

I like my approach to this. I sit at the end of the buffet and wait for someone to come by with their full plate and I just take it from them, and push them overboard. Sure eliminates the "overcrowding" problem. ;-)

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
ESS

I don't care what people do until it affects my pocketbook!
It would be an interesting cruise if they had to go to a la carte!
I still believe people shouldn't waste tremendous amounts of food just because they can
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Passenger

This comment is not regarding my recent cruise but a family member that I hate to go to a "buffet" style restaurant. She loads not one but two plates full of food. She just has to try everything. Eats a few bites. Decides it is not what she really wanted and starts all over again. This is wasted food.

I do not hawk eye what everyone is getting and I do not really care but I do believe that it would be wiser to get a small portion to begin with and go back for what you really liked.

No one is saying don't eat all you want but to be a little more conscientious about how much you take at one time.

This might be the gripe board but I have seen too many post were people get bent out of shape over someone’s comments. Lighten up, everyone has the right to express their opinions. No offense meant.
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:07 AM
fellow griper

I think it is the nature of the beast. Because it is a buffet people will tend to get whatever food and in such great quantity because they know it is all you can eat. I think as long as there are buffets this dilemma will persist.
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM
McCall

Any of you consider the fact that other than the day befores dinner, which becomes buffet food for the first day of the next cruise, all the food not eaten is chucked out anyway? You think the cruise line holds it if people don't eat it? It is all part of the health regulations they must abide by. Yes they do use leftovers but not for days at a time.
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Wasting food is not going to help anything.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Good point McCall.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Nice thought McCall, but a bit flawed. I've never had chicken wings, pizza, french fries etc on my evening dinner menu.

So how could that could be turned into the next days self service buffet?
Old July 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Yeoman

I take some food back to the cabin to snack on later, especially for my little one who hardly eats at mealtime, but snacks all day. I grab a few bananas, and some yogurt, and maybe a few other items that cant be easily gotten all day long (ie yogurt is usually only out for breakfast and to get one later means the wait staff has to go out of their way to get it, including leaving the dining room to track it down somewhere else). I put it in the fridge in the cabin so it doesnt spoil too.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Hmmm! Maybe I'll just pull a chair right on up to the buffet and save the return trip lol. I never actually throw any food out - I just dump it on my dh's plate and he finishes it all up - Waste not - want not! TTFN Jennifer
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Admiral

You must be related to my wife!
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
omar

DO YOU KNOW I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON A CRUISE BEFORE BUT AS MUCH PEOPLE COMPLAIN ON THESE WEBBOARDS I REALLY DO NOT KNOW I READ THESE TO GET INFORMATION BUT I TELLING YOU IT ALOT OF COMPLAINING LIFE IS TOO SHORT LIVE AND LET LIVE PEOPLE!!!!!