Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default British cruise prices!!!!!!!!

Why is it that the british cruise passenger pays upto twice as much for a trip as our friends across the pond? I got looking for quotes for my holiday in august this year and checked quotes in the US and UK the fares were the same in pounds as in dollars in most cases and sometimes it worked out cheaper to book a better grade in the US than we could afford in the UK. does anybody know why this is, is there a good reason or is a another case of rip-off britain? In the end we booked with an agency in VA and saved over a THOUSAND pounds which is about 1800-2000 us dollars and we got a better grade cabin than we would have got booking at home!! I a not the only person this has happend to, my folks booked an alaskan cruise with an agent in San Francisco and got, again, a much better deal at a much better price.
So lets see if we can find out why.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:31 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: British cruise prices!!!!!!!!

Gosh I'd like to know too!! Sometimes as a Canadian I read about some of the low American rates, and wonder if even with the "converrsion" they don't get better prices! This of course is made even worse to me , since we pay much more to get to the ports also( except for Alaskan, whcih we do not care for)
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Passenger

And as an American we take trips out of Toronto because it is much cheaper.
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yeoman

Dar, yes I'm sure it is once you pay with Canadain dollars.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Easy answer for UK cruisers, its all to do with the discount level your TA gets from the lines and this can cover everything from cabin price, upgrade price, ability to free upgrade on cabins, to the individual deals they have with bulk shifting airlines.

In the UK we may think we are big as a cruise market, but we pale when compared to the market that could come out of just one state in the USA or within travelling distance of Canada. Hence the heavy discount on that end

Apart from Cunard and P&O for UK based cruising, we live in a market driven and dictated by the USA
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:46 PM
Yeoman

good point, but are they then relying on british cruisers to make up the difference in cost between what US customers are paying and what we are paying.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Admiral

The simple answer is yes on USA based lines.

Brits like every other European and that includes the opening Russian market are seen as a big part of the make up in price difference given to others (USA especially), simply because they know the price we see as acceptable, and that includes what we see as a discount to brochure price from our TA and will pay for our cruise, compared to our friends over the pond. Who have the upper hand when it comes to filling ships.

Not our USA friends fault that they get the best deal, good on them
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Passenger

Some of it could be the US TA's percentage of comission could be a lot lower than a British TA's comission.
Old July 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Good point Dar, but I suspect commission levels are the same, and its the price available to the British TA's compared to the US TA's that is significantly different.

But yes all this adds to the price differential
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have lived throughout the world. UK, and the USA included. I am a Canadian citizen and I will tell you exactly why Canadians and British pay more for American cruises. It is all about demand from your travel agent. It is the same reason why it only cost me 30 pounds return to fly from stanstead to rome with ryan air, which is about $60 - $70 Canadian $$. When it will cost me around $700 Canadian to fly the same distance within canada. it is all about supply and demand. There is more demand for cruises in the USA than there are in Britain. here is a great thing to look at...I am currently looking at booking a holiday for a safari in Africa. it is costing me twice as much here in the USA without airfare as what it was going to cost me for the same trip in britain but through a british travel agent. So I will book it through Britain:-) Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. Cheers!!
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Yeoman

cheers for that mikey,
but the trip i've booked is out of southampton! so there will probably be more brits on it so the cruise line is going to be laughing all the way to the bank! enjoy your safari, not something i've ever done, but would love to someday.
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
First Mate

would it help the non-us citizens if they booked directly through the cruiselines...that way the 'ta demand" is not an issue.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: British cruise prices!!!!!!!!

Dont think so pebbs, in my experience the level of discount given to TA's on either side of the pond is not there if you book direct with the line.

Maybe I'm wrong and would be glad to hear if anyone got a good deal by booking direct with the line. What about the 12 to 18 months in advance direct with the line bookings, are they a good deal? Do people booking that length of time in advance, compared to the deals offered months in advance of the same sailing, get a good deal?

Would like to know