Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: Which cruise line would you recommend to a friend and wh

Friends, Carnival or maybe RCCL, HAL for the older ones, Seabourn for the loaded ones.
Enemies, NCL! If they survive by sheer luck the ship's exploding, sinking in its berth, and discharging tons of toxic waste into the only protected marine area on the course with enough potency to kill everyone on the ship despite the purification equipment

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Joyful

Default Re: Re: Which cruise line would you recommend to a friend an

We went on one NCL cruise, and it was the best we had gone on at that time. It was several years ago, though. The food was the best we had ever had, and to date I think Princess is the only one who's food we enjoyed more (Carnival and RCCL were the worst, in my opinion).

I agree with other posters, you will have a great time, not to worry! As I would say to anyone, no matter what cruiseline they are going on, don't go with unreasonable expectations. Go expecting to have a good time, relax, someone else cooking and serving you, making your bed (your "room dude", as they were referred to in an earlier post), etc., etc. You will have a grand vacation, believe me.
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival Spirit class, to a friend. Regal Cruise line ( If they are still in business) to an enemy.

Old August 25th, 2004, 09:33 AM
newmexicoNita

CeeCee, don't worry about your choice,remember this is a thread for people to gripe and that they do. I very seldom wander over here. As for NCL, the POA has given NCL a very bad reputation. The Star, Sun and Dawn plus now the Spirit are getting raving reviews. Be prepared to have a great time and let us know what you think.

NMNita
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Captain

I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation of NCL to an enemy, as that line has such a variety of ships, some good and some bad. Some of the older ships and/or newer itineraries can be problem prone. But on other NCL ships/itenaries, "a good time can be had by all." NCL just operates under a little more extreme version of the "ala carte" method of operation than some of its competitors. Under this kind of operation, fares are kept to the minimum, including only primarily passage, room, and food in the main dining room and buffet that is often pretty "basic". Better restaurants, all drinks, and some shows are "at extra cost." But, on the other side of the coin, their fares are about the lowest in the industry, giving a savings in this area to pay for the "extras." So for those who like to chose (and separately pay for) most of their cruise amenities, some of the better NCL ships may just be their ticket! Plus, even a die-hard Radisson cruiser like me must confess that he had a great cruise on the old Norway a few years back. So I don't think NCL is the proper "blanket recommendation" for an enemy, though some of their ships and/or itineraries might be.

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:11 PM
Dragnet

Fellow Cruisemates

I've learned....( Negative people)
That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes!

With that being said NCL to them!!!

AND to the Positive People We Cruise together (Car.., Royal, Cura...)

Peace Out
Dragnet
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Passenger

disney to a friend (yes even those without kids) and hal to an enemy.
Old November 27th, 2004, 06:25 AM
First Mate

Really surprised with all the negatives about NCL..we had a great cruise to Bermuda last year..I mean it is what it is ,,,It's a work horse of a ship. Mass transit as opposed to a limo. The crew , service and food were great. It was a packed ship, and we waited only one night for a seat and that was only 10 minutes,

I have only been on 2 cruises , my first was HAL. Great cruise , a little stuffy and uptight., but great.

My NExt will be NCL.. I'm determined to try all the lines , and as many ships in those lines as I can. <s>....

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Captain

Ed:

I think you answered your own question when you said NCL is like mass transit rather than a limo. So for those who go on a cruise expecting mass transit, NCL is often fine. But like all forms of mass transit, NCL functions of very tight resources in terms of personnel, time, facilities, and equipment. There are few extra resources to handle problems, should they come up. So when problems do come up on NCL, the solving of them tends to rob resources from another area of operation, creating a second problen, which robs more resources from another area ------ and so on. Sometimes to a major system breakdown. It's folks that have been on NCL when this happens who are "recommending it to their enemies."

Any time you book NCL, you are doing much the same thing as booking a Caribbean cruise on any line in hurricane season --- and that is taking a risk in exchange for a low fare.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM
sea-u-later

Carnival to a friend, the Titanic to an enemy
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Rescue 156

Carnival Glory to a friend and the ex-Carnival Festivale to an enemy
Old December 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Slotl

Rubysky was RIGHT ON.

After experiencing over 30 cruises on many cruise lines, my recommendation is:

Princess, HAL, RCL, Celebrity to friends.

Carnival, NCL to enemies. -- Never again will I sail on either of these cruise lines. They had their chances and blew them all.
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Dan p

I go with RCCL to a friend and without a doubt NCL Crown to my enemy
Old December 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM
surfer e 2468

omend
Old December 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM
surfer e 2468

PRINCESS,HAL,CELEBRITY to friends,to others CARNIVAL ========
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM
pcboston

I guess all cruise experiences are subjective, and people have different opinions depending on the ship , the time of year, and how many other lines they have been on. I started cruising only 4 years ago, but I have been on seven ships and five lines, as I like to try many things before forming an opinion. That being said, for a friend I would absolutely recommend RCCL and Princess, and for families Disney is fantastic. I have only been on one Carnival ship , the Destiny,and the cruise itself was a blast, good food, entertainment and activities, really a fun time, but disembarking was such a mess that I've wanted to try another Carnival cruise. but have been hesitant. For my enemies I would put them on the NCL Dream. I guess for a first cruise it would be ok because there would be nothing to compare it to, but this was my only bad cruise. I am completely addicted and have so many great memories. I only wish I had more time and money ! I'd try them all! Probably Princess or RCCL in 2005
DISNEY WONDER---2000 ****
CARNIVAL DESTINY---2001 ***
RCCL EXPLORER OF THE SEA---2002 *****
GRAND PRINCESS---2003 *****
NCL MAJESTY---2003 ***
RCCL ADVENTURE OF THE SEA---2004 *****
NCL DREAM---2004 *
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:55 PM
First Mate

Hard question to answer completely. We have enjoyed all our cruises (been on 5). So far NCL is our favorite. The others were OK just not as good as NCL. Also it's so subjective some people love Freestyle cruising (NCL). Some people hate it.