Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Passenger

Default Gripe! Carnival continues to lie about GC stops

Here is my gripe. Carnival is continuing to lie about stopping in Grand Cayman. If you have read the posts from those on board right now. They told everyone they would be stopping in Grand Cayman on their cruise this week. Even on Saturday night not even 12 hours before they left for their cruise they were being told Grand Cayman was a definite stop. Low and behold, you get in line and they give you a piece of paper telling you that you won't be stopping in Grand Cayman and will get to spend another lovely day at sea. Spending your money on their things and not the things that you actually wanted to spend your money.

The Cayman's government is saying it will be November before they are ready to receive the ships. Yet Carnival doesn't even bother to try and change the itineraries, even thought they have had weeks to do this. They just keep telling everyone that they will hit all their stops when you ask about it. That is until you reach the dock when they tell you that you are being screwed out of one of your port calls and will get a measley $25pp credit for the day you spend on the ship.

Boy what a surprise, we'll give you $25 to spend, so you will end up actually spending more than that on our ship and giving us more money.

I understand hurrican damage and all that and I am fine with the fact that Grand Cayman needs to get rebuilt. That is understandable with everything that has gone on. What I am upset about is that Carnival doesn't even bother to try and redo the iteneraries in the least. At least give us an extra port day in one of the ports we will already be at or something. That and the fact that they continue to tell you that you are going to definitely stop there when in fact they have no plans or expectations to stop there.
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
pg

Default Re: Gripe! Carnival continues to lie about GC stops

I agree, why not stay an extra day somewhere else, or at least be honest about Grand Cayman. BTW sure they give you an extra $25 but do they refund that portion of the port charges?
Old September 29th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

That is too bad, because its been common knowledge that no ships will be stopping there for awhile, sure hope its November when they can go there again.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Remember, they are under no obligation to refund you anything.

I *like* the sea days, myself, so when my 2 sea days turned into 4 on the Glory a couple of weeks ago (thanks to Ivan and Jeanne), I wasn't upset, but some folks were.

I agree that if Carnival knows for sure you won't be stopping there, they should tell you.

Just curious, if you were told ahead of time, what would you do? Decide not to take the cruise? They sure aren't going to refund your money. Would you miss a cruise because you were missing one (or more) stops?

dorothy

Post Edited (09-29-04 20:46)

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
pg

The thing is they are still selling cruises as we speak and still listing GC as a stop when even a Nov stop is doubtful.
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Carnival is not the only line telling people they will stop in Grand Cayman. I am supposed to stop in Grand Cayman on Oct. 28th as part of the Rhapsody cruise. According to Royal Caribbean, they are going to begin stopping in Grand Cayman again starting next week (cruises leaving Oct. 2 and later). I have my doubts, but I'll see where everyone ends up next week. If we don't make Cayman, I'm hoping they will revise the itenerary to stop in Belize like they did on Rhapsody this week. Otherwise, I'm going to end up with 5 sea days on a 7 day cruise. I'm not like Donna - I cruise for the ports!

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Gripe! Carnival continues to lie about GC stops

From what I understand from those on Conquest right now. The $25pp is your port chrages refund. Nothing I can do about the fact we will not be stopping there. I am still going, just not happy about the fact that they are not telling me the truth about it. Wouldn't be so upset about it if they would at least tell straight what is going on.

I understand not stopping there, just the way they are telling you about is the problem. Though again too, I am very disappointed about not stopping in the Cayman's because that was the one stop I was looking forward to. I could care less about MO Bay, but Grand Cayman had the best excursion on this trip.
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

While I agree it is disappointing, one must consider what the cruise lines have gone through these past few weeks. Can you imagine the chaos both onboard and on land re-routing ships, consoling irate passengers, figuring out fair credits, arranging new flights for people on board, finding lodging for extra nights for people who were delayed from sailing, etc.

I think in the big scheme of things, we should be thankful that we can cruise at all - never mind that a port is cancelled. It is also your choice whether or not to spend the credit money on board. I find that sea days are a lot less expensive than shore days, what with taxis, tours, shopping, etc. Those are my choices, of course. You don't have to spend the money - a credit on your credit card bill always looks good!

I would imagine the lines would receive a number of complaints if they DID stop at some of these ports that have been damaged and people found them not up to par. It's a bit of a lose/lose situation for the cruiselines and I believe they are trying their best under difficult circumstances.

Let's give people a little slack.....

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
seawench

Well said, Belgique!

One of my friends had 2 extra days on her cruise, b/c of Hurricane Jeanne.
Instead of returning to Port Canaveral, the ship went to Port Everglades, so there was a big scramble to get people back to their cars in PC, or to the Orlando airport.

Stuff happens -- especially during September, the peak month for hurricane activity.

Last year I was on the Zuiderdam the first week of November and we hit rough weather. Could not go to St. Martin.
Oh well ... what can you do about it? It's weather. It happens.

I have an Oct. 31 cruise booked -- not sure if we will go to Grand Cayman, but I'd rather an extra day at sea, or an alternate port, if GC is not up and running.

sw
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:50 AM
First Mate

According to the folks in George Town, they hope to be back in business in a few weeks.
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Julia Price

We are going on our first cruise with RCCL in late November/early December. When I called RCCL customer service to ask if they thought they might be able to go to Grand Cayman by then, the rep didn't know, which is understandable. But when I asked if our prepaid shore excursions and port charges would be refunded if we didn't dock there, I was told that shore excursions would be refunded, but there are no refunds for a "port exchange." That's fine if we get another port, but I would expect port charges to be refunded if we just have another day at sea.
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM
First Mate

I'm thinking that alternate ports would have to be arranged weeks to months in advance as they can't just show up and expect to be able to dock. I do agree though that it should be communicated in advance if at all possible. I'm with Dorothy, I don't mind the extra sea days.

All the best,

Glenn

Old October 6th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Yeoman

Julia, there is no more such a thing as port charges. Those are now called non-commisionable fees. FEES! a rose by any other name? So, there is now no port charge to refund as port charges now do not exist.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:46 AM
CeeCee

I'm curious about something here. If you don't make the port stop and you have an extra sea day, where do you go? Logically, if you stayed on course, you would arrive home a day early. So, do you just wander around aimlessly for a day out in the deep blue sea?
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Gripe! Carnival continues to lie about GC stops

Hi Cee Cee,
Yes, you can get an extra "sea" day or sometimes they can arrange a different port stop.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Admiral

On one of our extra sea days (we had 2 extra for a total of 4 thanks to Ivan and Jeanne), we were moving so slowly it almost felt as though we were sitting still!! so yes, I think we were just wandering aimlessly around the deep blue sea!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM
AshleyP

According to Carnival, if they know in advance of itinerary changes, they will attempt to notify you. Once notified, you have the option of cancelling your cruise in the next 24 hours with NO penalties.

So, it would seem Carnival is not acknowledging the itinerary change to avoid losing bookings. I really wouldn't think there would be very many people who would cancel based on the loss of one port. However, if Carnival doesn't announce the change, those people that would cancel are not able to withouyt paying the penalties. Sounds a bit shady to me!