Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:02 PM
HannaS77

Default Port Charges

I wonder if anybody booking a cruise with Princess Cruises is aware that the port charges are not shown.We were recently on a cruise on the Regal Princess and the cruise fare and federal taxes were shown. I assumed that the port charges were included as part of the fare. Over the years there have been a number of class action lawsuits against various cruise lines, including Princess over port charges. I have felt that the port charges should be a part of the cruise fare even though the cruise lines have opposed this since it might make their fare noncompetitive.

I have no objection to including the port charges as part oft the cruise fare but when you have to cancel the cruise, the cruise line should not retain the port charges.

This happened to us in 2003 with Princess. The only sum they returned to us was the federal taxes. Fortunately we had purchased travel insurance and received the full amount including the port charges and federal taxes. I sent the check for the federal taxes to the insurer and suggested they go after Princess for the port charges. .
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Captain

Default Re: Port Charges

I has been my understanding that all cruise lines must refund port charges you paid as to any ports not actually visited, less (of course) the port charges for substituted ports (if any). It has been my understanding that this rule was actually part of a class action settlement in the past..

I'm curious on this issue, too. One of our fairly recent cruises involved a missed port, with no substitution. I was not given a port charge refund designated as such, but was given a $500 future cruise credit per guest in our party (announced while we were still onboard), so I didn't mention the port charge.

Perhaps some of you can fill us in a little better on the lines' obligation to refund port charges for missed ports.

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Yeoman

These are no longer called "Port Charges" (a rose by any other name) they are now called non-commisionable charges and can do what they like.
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:46 AM
First Mate

Cruiseguy is correct that Princess and other lines call port charges, non-commisionables now. The normal, 7 day port charge is $139.00 per person.
When you get a rate from Princess, the "port charge" is included in the price. Then they add on the gov't tax......as per Hanna's comment.

Happy sailing,
Sea angel
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM
HannaS77

I hasten to point out that in our case with Princess Cruises, we have no information as to what Princess Cruises considers what used to be port charges. When we got the statement for the booking it consisted of only three items. The cruise fare, the federal taxes and a total of the two. Princess Cruises did return the port fees but despite a number of correspondence with the home office, we never got a reply or acknowlegment. Our TA got the same reception . After our travel insurer paid the full amount, I decided I was too old to get involved any further. Had Princess Cruises remitted what I felt was due ,since we did not take the cruiseI would have remitted that to the travel insurer as I did the federal fees.

I posted the original because I wanted to point out a change in the industry just as NCL considers the $10 per passenger per day upfront charge for tips to be refundable.

As for the tipping on Princess and NCL, I would not object to this practice since we usually ended up tipping more than the designated amount.