Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Ship Gluttony

On our last cruise there was an anorexic woman (I have friends with this problem, I know the signs) at our table one night who commented on everyone's meals. Her husband (I won't call him DH because of his attitude!) was SOOO proud of her because she got up at 3:30 AM every day and exercised for two and a half hours.

She ordered plain fish and, after having the waiter go to the kitchen twice to check on the calorie count, just picked at it. We were treated to a lecture on how bad red meat, potatoes, chocolate etc. were for us! We ate a "normal" meal except when I ordered a second lobster tail. I thought she was going to jump overboard!

Thank goodness it was "Anytime Dining" on Princess. Don't think we could have put up with these lectures for more than one dinner!

Why on earth do some people think what other people eat is any of their business? We didn't comment on her dinner. I would have loved to say what I thought, (you look like death warmed over, eat something!) but I MMOB!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cruise Ship Gluttony

It is a good thing I have never eaten with anyone who wound lecture me on my eating habits.. I am sure that it would have made them ill when I ordered my usual three desserts.
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

An anorexic woman? Why do I get the feeling that she was just in good shape and is being called anorexic out of jealousy?
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Admiral

"(I have friends with this problem, I know the signs)"...................Fern.

Can you NOT read??????????????????

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I can read...but I also know people have a tendency to exhaggerate when trying to make a point. I believe you that she was anorexic. Out of curiosity, what are the signs?
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Passenger

this is pathetic
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Which part is pathetic?
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Family Man

All I can say is please don't interfere when I am filling my plate, I just might bite your hand! Strangely, this post has made me very hungry.
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not trying to interfere with anyone's plate...I'm just pointing out my "gripe", which is what the forums is intended for. It didn't say that everyone else needed to agree with the gripe.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:20 PM
cruisingrandma

If everyone just went on a cruise and never worried about what someone else was wearing or what they are eating or how much they are all drinking..... Well then just think how peaceful the world would be. No Gripes.... It sounds like it could ruin your crusie if we all eat too much. Not worth all the stress for u! So dont worry about anyone but yourself. Happy cruising.....
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:27 PM
gerif

Sheesh - it's my cruise and MY body. How dare anyone comment on how many desserts I consume (at least 2 per meal). Afraid I really would have had to put that "anorexic" tablemate in her place. Actually, sblahars, I don't think you got to be 70 pounds overweight by taking tiny portions, and I'm sure you would have been terribly upset if someone had pointed that out to you at the time. Just because you are now "reformed" does not give you the right to look down on anyone else's eating habits.
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Admiral

sblahars,

Some of the signs:

Getting up at 3:30 AM to exercise on a cruise, vacation, (or any other time) for 2 1/2 hours. And telling everyone else about it.

Being preoccupied with the calorie count of food (rather than ordering and just eating the part you want), and with what others are eating.

Being so "slim" that your collarbones and ribs show. (Yes, even through your clothes.)

Excusing yourself to use the restroom several times during a meal. The smell of "vomit" (sorry). This can't be gotten rid of with tooth brushing, mints, or mouthwash, it comes from your stomach. No, I didn't see this this time, but it is a sign.

Having a "significant other" enabler who brags endlessly about your weight loss and exercise habits.

Granted, any of these things alone could be another problem (or not a problem at all), but put them all together... Believe me, if you knew someone who was anorexic you'd recognize it immediately in others.

Now for something I DO agree with you about! On our last cruise I was amazed at the size of the plates at the buffet! I would use this size plate as a platter at home. It is very easy to overfill one of those platters!

I'm overweight myself, and I'd rather be overweight than be anorexic. My friends have many more medical problems and one is under psychiatric care, thank goodness.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Passenger

wow..this was interesting....I just had gastric bypass surgery 3 weeks ago becuz of my weight and i have a 7 day cruise in October..I am sure that my eating habits will be different then previous cruises, but I couldn't care less what or how much other people eat....It's vacation time - and I will bet that those that enjoy the food on the cruise who some feel are "disgusting and gluttons" don't eat like that at home...and one more, thing, I hope when i reach my goal weight that I NEVER look down on people who continue to enjoy their food...it is not my business to police what or how much other people eat....

Old June 16th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Wisegirl

Noting wrong with using the proper term when it fits.

"glut·ton ** (*P*)**Pronunciation Key**(gltn)
n.

1. A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink."

Yes, I've noticed many gluttons on cruiseships, and it's usually people who can least afford to be indulgingin that behavior. I agree with the OP, I find it disgusting to watch an overweight person pile on mounds of food at the buffet. I try not to look but sometimes I can't help it. It's like watching someone slowly kill themselves, but clearly, people have no shame or self-respect. I guess people really do care more about shoveling food into their mouths than they do about how they look to others. No wonder other countries have the image they do of Americans. It's an epidemic.

I don't look down on people who overeat, I feel sorry for them.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Admiral

I look down on people who overeat only if I am taller than they are.

Live and let live!
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:35 PM
sueinphilly@yahoo.com

I'm 5ft 6in and weigh 125 pounds. I will probably eat more than 'usual' on my upcoming cruise. The thing I don't get is why people think that just because they are on vacation, they can start drinking at 11 am and go on all day. I hear about some people's bar tabs and I'm shocked that people will spend hundreds of dollars for a week on liquor.
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sue:

Three bottles wine of plus six, top shelf, mixed drinks a day for two people can give you a bar tab close to $400 on a seven day cruise. That isn't over indulgence in my book. A bar tab in the hundreds doesn't mean you spent the cruise inebriated, just a taste for higher end swill. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Once again, it doesn't bother me at all that people start drinking at 9:30 am on vacation. i don't drink, and if I did it wouldn't be my choice to start early, but how is it any of my business if someone does?? (assuming they aren't injuring anyone or property)

In my opinion, people who eat a lot don't harm anyone or anything either (other than extensive wear and tear on knives and forks).

We were with 4 other couples on a Hawaii cruise a couple of years back and all my buddies started drinking every morning right when the bar opened, and on Sunday morning (superbowl) because of the time change we slipped a few crisp ones and had one of the bars opened at 6:30am and serving alchohol.

We all need to chill just a little and take things easy, and not be so concerned with what others are doing.

banker
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Lady V

To the OP: I was once overweight and I lost 71 pounds two years ago. I've kept most of the weight off. I know that when I was overweight, I didn't like someone commenting on what or how much I ate and I am still offended by people who do this now that I am "normal" weight (mostly those who think I don't eat enough). What I eat and how much I eat is my business. My food choices are not harming anyone else. Likewise, I feel that the amount that other people eat is their business and their choices don't bother me. So I refrain from commenting on how much other people eat. There are more important things going on in this world than worrying about how much other people eat. If you are that concerned about how much other people eat, I suspect that you haven't fully dealt with your own weight issues and are projecting your own insecurities unto others.
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Yeoman

we are stepping into a new "low" with this one guys!
How can I judge how much someone else should or should not be eating?
Am I getting this right?
Aren't we on vacation? Do we have better things to be doing?

Call me crazy but, this one is pretty petty!
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

II'll call you crazy because I don't see why it is petty. It is a gripe of mine to see people act like animals instead of civilized human beings. The word "buffet" does NOT mean all you can eat, but people take it to mean: eat as much as I can. A buffet is a meal where you serve yourselves. Just becauset there is a buffet does not mean you are supposed to stuff yourself.

Think of it this way, if you were eating a meal, and the table next to you was licking their plates or eating without using utensils or even hands, wouldn't you find that disturbing? It isn't effecting you. It isn't making you NOT have your meal...but still, it is rather disgusting.

Well, to me, people who fit as much as they can on their plate and stuff it all in their mouths (especially people who for sure can afford to miss a meal or two) is disgusting. It is almost as if they think that they can't leave until they have NO room left.

I just don't think people should take pride in their overeating. (ex. I had SIX lobster tails!!!!) People just can't seem to separate quality with quantity, they associate lots of food with quality. I see people complain on various message boards about the portion sizes being too small on cruiseships. Well, guess what, in reality, the portion sizes served are much closer to correct than we are used to. Do you think that the 20 oz T-Bone you got at the steak place is the right serving size? Or chicken parmasean with THREE pieces of chicken is the right serving size? Restaurants have conditioned us with HUGE portion sizes that when we see something that is a REAL portion size, we think it is too small. So when we go to the buffet, we'll be damned if we don't get our portion size, so we just PILE it on.

Don't get me wrong, a cruise IS supposed to be about indulgence...but really, there is indulgence...then there is just plain gluttony, and that gluttony is my what I'm griping about.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yeoman

Perhaps then you should do a private charter. Then all would be fine.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Darn! Now you are telling me that it is not appropriate to lick my plate. I hate to waste food a, now I am going to have to miss eating part of it.

I could care less what other people eat or don't eat or whether they are fat or anexoric. It
is their life and and their business, not mine.

Again, Live and Let Live!!
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Yeoman

Paul......at least tell me you wipe with a napkin and not your shirt.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:22 AM
First Mate

"If you are that concerned about how much other people eat, I suspect that you haven't fully dealt with your own weight issues and are projecting your own insecurities unto others."

So true! Personally I am usually too busy enjoying myself to even notice what others are eating.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Yeoman

all this talk about food has gotten me hungry!
Hey guys, let's all go down to the local buffett and get some lunch.
Whata say?
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to samngeo Send a message via Yahoo to samngeo

All you can eat?

Nov 01 Ocean Princess
Dec 01 Ocean Princess
Feb 02 NCL Norway
Dec 02 NCL Sun
Feb 03 NCL Wind
Dec 03 Coral Princess
Feb 04 Celeb Zenith
Nov 04 Rhapsody OS
Dec 04 Crnvl Elationx2
Aug 05 NCL Spirit
Oct 05 NCL Dream
Nov 05 Sapphire Princess
Dec 05 NCL Wind
Oct 06 Crnvl Pride
Nov 06 Crnvl Triumph
Nov 06 Star Princess
Feb 07 Crnvl Conquest
Apr 07 Crnvl Fascination
Oct 07 Radiance OS
Nov 07 Golden Princess
Feb 08 Crnvl Spirit
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

Sure hope so, or else we're all in trouble appearently!
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
cruisingrandma

Why do u care about what someone else does????????? I hope u r not sitting watching someone eat! Gawking into others plates. Wow....... Just go on your cruise and do your own thing. Leave everyone else to do there own thing.
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just some words for thought ...

"The broad, shiny face of the glutton," Francine Prose writes, "has been--and continues to be--the mirror in which we see ourselves, our hopes and fears, our darkest dreams and deepest desires."

"He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

"I am not a glutton -- I am an explorer of food."
Erma Bombeck (1927-1996)

"O gluttony, it is to thee we owe our griefs!"
Geoffrey Chaucer (1342-1400)

"Gluttony is an emotional escape, a sign that something is eating us."
Peter De Vries (1910-1993)

"Gluttony is a great fault; but we do not necessarily dislike a glutton. We only dislike the glutton when he becomes a gourmet--that is, we only dislike him when he not only wants the best for himself, but knows what is best for other people."
G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

“Ever a glutton, at another's cost,
But in whose kitchen dwells perpetual frost.”
John Dryden (1631-1700) 'Fourth Satire of Persius'

“A gourmet is just a glutton with brains.”
Philip W. Haberman, Jr. (Vogue)

“It is a curious fact that no man likes to call himself a glutton, and yet each of us has in him a trace of gluttony, potential or actual. I cannot believe that there exists a single coherent human being who will not confess, at least to himself, that once or twice he has stuffed himself to bursting point on anything from quail financiere to flapjacks, for no other reason than the beastlike satisfaction of his belly.”
M.F.K. Fisher (1908-1992), An Alphabet for Gourmets (1949)

“'What I like about gluttony,' a bishop I knew used to say, 'is that it doesn't hurt anyone else.'”
Monica Furlong (1930-2003)

I guess what I am trying to say here with these quotes, is that each person's view, interpretation, of what gluttony is, is subjective to who they are and were they have been in thier life.

While I am not saying there are not gluttons on a cruise, I also believe, that in each of us, as MFK Fisher said, there is the potential to be a glutton.

As Thomas Aquinas said, "Gluttony denotes, not any desire of eating and drinking, but an inordinate desire … leaving the order of reason, wherein the good of moral virtue consists."

Just my 2, or 3 or 4 cents worth.

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004