Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Default people who go on cruises every month

how do they do that? Every cruise I go on, about twice a year, I seem to meet someone who watches the deals and goes every month or so. They know all the crew members. I was sitting at a table with one woman who did this and the maitre 'd practically had his way with her right there at the table....and let me tell you, she did not mind a bit.

I just think if I went that often, cruising would lose it elure. It would become routine and not special......

lets hear from those of you who do cruise several times a year....does it ever get boring??

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: people who go on cruises every month

From experience of talking to fellow cruisers, if you stay in the Miami area there are bucket cruises to be picked up nearly every, day and week, and cheap.

Think about it no airfair, can take a last minute deal at a couple of days notice, as your retired etc etc. Brilliant, if you can say "Who's sailing and whats available"

Clients such as this will not normally put the $ per week profit into the line they would expect from you or I, but it is a margin and a "bunk" filled.

You know better than that pebbs, cruising never gets boring, different people to play off again by the week and if you are so lucky, you can plan it to explore more in ports you may have seen a dozen times.

Personally I spent $3000 to be on a cruise out of Miami. On it I met a fantastic retired couple, who through bucket did it for $800 (Miami based). They had a theory that it was cheaper to do this once month than be at home, cant prove it, cant deny it.

But boy do I envy them for staying in the Miami area
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Wow, interesting. Cheaper than staying home...and you have a private cook, wait staff and house cleaner.

I am lucky enough to live in the Tampa Bay area, but we do not have the choices of cruises like Miami does due to the fact that the larger ships cannot pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Oh yeah, and there is that little detail called "Work" that tends to keep me a bit busy during the week.

Maybe in 400 years when I retire.....

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Of course you could sign on to work on the ship, and then you could sail daily. <BG> You know it's interesting because since I live in Seattle I looked for the great rate all season long, but I guess Alaska is just too popular with not enough ships from Seattle. i did see great deals from Vancounver B.C. though so maybe next year.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

o.k. I've got a little thing about people that live near a port. The fact that they can jump on a ship anytime for a few hundred bucks is just sickening. We have to fly from Toronto usually $600, and then the price is in USD, so convert to Canadian dollars, then every time we buy drinks, shopping (wife has shopping illness) or pictures etc, have to convert to Canadian plus excursions eating drinking etc in ports - i get sick!!

For example, we're paying $1300 in our higher taxed higher cost of living disposable income dollars for the majesty on Friday that i'm sure others will have paid $200 - $300 for living close to the port.

But as you know, we get hooked on cruising and I'm not complaining about anything.......really, I'm not!!

banker!!

....gotta go pack now, leaving tomorrow for Florida - woo hoo !!

Old September 15th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Yeoman

Just move, banker. That's all that's necessary to join those lucky dogs!

As it is, with FF miles, we were able to take advantage of one of the cruise line's hot deals, a weekend cruise for two for less than $1000 (total) including the house-sitter, getting to our local airport, the flight (even with FF miles they charged us $20!), the cruise and everything that includes, etc., tips -- everything we'll need except excursions, which we'll probably do without this time. We actually saw a longer weekday cruise for less, but we wanted the weekend, specifically, so that was more money. We can't do that every month, but between my wife and I we make more than that in salary per week (and it is a paid vacation, eh? <g>), so we can rationalize doing it once a year or so, in addition to whatever other vacation arrangements we'd normally deliberately budget for.

I'm not sure what'll happen with US Airway's demise, though. Before, even without the FF tickets, we'd still be okay, since r/t Boston to Florida often runs in the $200 pp range. That'll surely run higher and may make doing something like this, especially at the last minute, a bit more difficult in the future.
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Banker...

I feel your pain, I really do. You may hate to hear this, but DH and I consider cruising one of the lesser expensive vacation options available to us (can really watch specials, no air fare, can be flexible with dates because no flying...), so I count my blessing. It is also fairly hassle free due to the fact that we do not have to fly. We are leaving on 25 Sept to go to Miami, about a 5 hour trip from Tampa, and my husband and I and the four friends we are traveling with decided to take Amtrak. They offer 25% discounts to Carnival passengers. We got a ticket, r/t in business class for $73. We leave Tampa at 7:00 am, arrive Miami at noon ( the same amount of time it would take to drive) and I intend to mix up a batch of my now World Famous Bloody Mary's. If you have a little extra time, you may want to consider this option in the future. (the train, no my Bloody Mary's although if I ever met you I would be proud to serve you on of my Bloody Mary's....but I digress).

On another note, my DH and I consider Canada, specifically Banff, our very favorite vacation option but can only go there every couple of years because we love to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel and believe me, even with the USD/CAD exchange, we drop a lot of coin in one week. But it is worth every penny. I love Canada.

Welcome to Florida.....the Sunshine State!!!!

One questions...do you call Canadian bacon....bacon?

Old September 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
First Mate

ooops...posted twice...that dang "back" button....Bill Gates is getting a letter from me...

Post Edited (09-15-04 08:39)

Old September 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: people who go on cruises every month

Hi Pebbstigator, we considered driving down to Miami for Navigator in December, but time and fuel is still an issue. I have a vehicle with a hybrid engine. It is a gas+gas engine, and does about 10 miles to a gallon (hummer)!!

I probably came across as though I was whining but we obviously do travel anyways so it was just one of those things that kinda don't bother you but kinda do at the same time. Hey, if it wasn't for that, I would have absolutely nothing to ***** about.

I've been having breakfast many a time when the people at the next table look at their menu, talk amongst themselves quietly for a minute, then turn to me and ask "what is peameal"??
It's one of those Canadian things like hockey (world cup champs, yeah baby!!!) and maple syrup, rye whiskey, poutine, a tuque, Canadian beer and yes, peameal - it's just like cornmeal, but made with peas. Good old Canadian peameal bacon.

banker

Old September 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
First Mate

I love Hogwart beer...hard to find in the states....

Old September 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Banker. you've just given me another gripe mate.

I would love to drive one of those big beasts that does approx 10 miles to the gallon, but with fuel in this country taxed that the rate it is then:-

1 gallon of gas costs me approx 3.86 or $6.86(USD) or $8.90(Can)

How would you like those prices? Thats why we drive cars that are smaller and more fuel friendly
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Captain

DavidB and Banker
If you figure this one out, let me know.
Total numgber of passengers, times the number of miles sailed, divided by the
number of gallons of bunker fuel used, times price per gallon, equals ???
It has got to be more efficient to cruise than to drive anywhere...................
Yeah, I wish I could afford to cruise more often than once a year.
Living in western Missouri, we are about as far away from any
navigable body of water as you can get. It takes a day & a half just to get to a port.

See ya'll soon

JoeMO

Post Edited (09-15-04 16:48)
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Admiral

DavidB, I just had to throw this in (in between my last minute packing)

yeah you drive cars that are smaller and more environmentally friendly; sounds intelligent and sensible....

......but you drive them on the wrong side of the road!!!! Now, if you could only learn to drive on the right side (right=correct) side, then you might have somthing goin fer ya!

banker

just an arrogant comment after making an ass of myself trying to drive a rented benz through downtown London

oh yeah, I was chillin, I was lookin cool, I was pimpin with my babe beside me.......until I made a left turn onto the right side of the road into oncoming traffic! Oh Yeah! my bladder control was "gone in sixty seconds"

Old September 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Yeoman

i have met some of these people --one that comes to mind is a retired couple living in miami or the ft laud area and if they want a cruise they go to the terminal and find out if and whats available and if they want it then they simply get on board --if the ship is sold out they get in their car and try again next week --when i met them we were on a hal ship and they got an award for sailing on hal in excess of 750 nites

Old September 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Admiral

an award??? for 750 nights they should be knighted

"I dub thee....Sir Cruisealot "!!

banker

Old September 16th, 2004, 12:30 AM
pg

Banker, please, there is a whole other side to Canada. The western side, and we do not know what the heck "peameal" is?!
We are such a large country that I can imagine the only thing we can agree on coast to coast would have to be the high quality of our Canadian beer!

Just to try and get a bit back on topic, since we live on the west coast of Canada, and we DO NOT want to cruise Alaska, or the "Mexican Riveria"( we have done it) the Carribbean is about as far away from us as it can get. Unfortunately, we love it, so 10 or more hours of flying and thousands of dollars have to depart our pockets to indulge our craving! I wish we could just drive down, but that would take at least a week!

The option of moving to Florida( even if it wasn't another country) is not for us, we don't like hurricanes, poision snakes, or spiders, or alligators.I guess there is a pay off for living in the land of the 299 dollar cruise!
Old September 16th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Admiral

We're fortunate to live near the ports, and for sure it is beneficial to be able to drive instead of flying. Last minute deals are great and you can be sure they are always available if you can stick it out until the last minute.

I have to say though that my trip to Canada including using FF miles to get here was one damn expensive trip. I came by myself as Mrs. Thomas decided to stay home to take care of the insurance et. al. from hurricane Frances and just for myself the trip was more than ANY cruise we have ever taken for the two of us. Ski trips out to Colorado were comparable.

When I think about the cost of 10 days in Canada, with a rental RV and a few days hotel bill I can't help but compare it to what a cruise would've cost. And then to see the cruise ships in Halifax harbor ( harbour, for the Canadiens) and know that they were doing this trip cheaper than me I was saddened. But then I'm El' Cheapo.

Look at it this way, we Floridians cruise for cheap, but we pay a King's ransom to ski. Touche'

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:32 PM
First Mate

pg,

The idea of flying to Florida from here is not a good one. What do we have, AC twice a week? You either have to go through "The Centre of the Universe" <G> or Seattle for any deviation in flight days.

Much easier to get to Hawaii, a few flights a day. Like you, done Alaska and Mexico. We'll get to the Caribbean eventually, but it will have to be for a one-way Panama or back to back Caribbean cruises.

So we're off on a Coastal soon, 1st time on NCL and HMY. We'll see how we like them compared to Princess, RCI (and AC, Alaska).

Happy cruising everyone!

richard

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too am from Canada, Montreal to be exact... I have been on 3 cruises since January (which I find is probably a lot seeing as how I need airfare each time)
2 were the caribbean/bahamas and the third was alaska.... I am 23 years of age and am hooked on cruising, shall we say. There are many deals to be had out there, including airfare.. for us canadians, jetsgo has their loonie (1$) sunday sales where a roundtrip flight to Florida can cost only 56$ CAD. Not a bad deal, eh? I would know because this is how we travelled once.
I will jump at the chance to go and am in constant envy of all those Floridians who are within hours of these ships.... I think i would go absolutely broke if I lived there and had the option of cruising whenever I felt like it!
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:25 AM
First Mate

electra,

I'd have to be retired if I lived in Florida, but then again, 5 weeks vacation does = 5 cruises. I guess I could handle ONLY 5 per year <G>

richard

Old September 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Yeoman

banker

an award??? for 750 nights they should be knighted
>>
it was on a ribbon and worn around the neck and it was the size of a cowboy belt buckle

Old September 17th, 2004, 02:19 AM
pg

Gosh three cruises in 9 months, how did you get three weeks off electra??You are very lucky.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Could help but reading that you are from the Boston area. Next time you fly, check Southwest out of Manchester. Hubby and I are going in January on the Carribean Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale and it is only costing $230 for both of us, r/t. I wouldn't use my FF miles for that cheap ! ! ! ! Saving those for the Hawaiian cruise.
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

pg- ya guess I was kinda lucky- when you have the opportunity you seize it!

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Admiral

I am from montreal, quebecer pays the highest income tax in north america.
when i go cruising each year its cost me about $2500. for a 7 day cruise.
plus about $500 I spent on the ship. It very hard for me to take more than one cruise
a year. but I love cruising. I would pay twice that if I had to.

Old September 21st, 2004, 12:55 PM
jean pierre garnier

Consider retirement on a ship ! Compare it to a retirement home. For a lesser amount you receive transportation where ever the ship goes; available medical care, entertainment, discount cocktails, parties, noncomatose companions, great food, blue skies and aqua waters. How can it get any better? Jp
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yeoman

Unfortunately, cruise fare does not include medical treatment.

Old September 21st, 2004, 08:33 PM
Admiral

on the Majesty last weekend, the entire ship was from Florida, we were the only Canadians (6 of us) and we were a novelty to them,

electra, I've never done jetsgo before, thought they were kinda shaky, but you've done it, and is it really 56 bucks, what days is the sale on?

AA is the only airline I usually see at the port in Miami to directly check your bags and get boarding card, so can not worry and hang about for the day and get to flt 40 mins before (also got a guy to drive six of us to south beach and back to airport and end of day for $30 bucks - all of us)

banker

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

banker- yes Jetsgo really does work and they have wonderful customer service. The loonie sales start Saturday night at 2:00am and carry thru all of Sunday. You have to log on fast because they sell out real quick! Try also expedia.ca for a last minute quick bargain. They also give great deasl, especially with AA.

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Admiral

So people based in Florida, Miami, etc have the best deals for cruising..luck bu**ers..... dont knock it. Its a fact.

Just huge envy, but did you know medical insurance is not included in the price quoted, I'm sure you did and would not expect it.