Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
frequent cruiser

Default Cruise Ships & Port Shopping - Article - CRUISE LINES EX

A very interesting article was posted at http://www.ecotravelernews.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Cruise Ships & Port Shopping - Article - CRUISE LINE

It is an interesting article, but once again I think it jumps to conclusions about things they claim happened without backing the claims up with names or dates. Generally bad reporting.

And even though I have met the PPI people (and they are nice people), I feel this emphasis on paid shopping is regrettable when it is done INSTEAD of giving people actual port information for free. I prefer to hear actual, historic info on sites, etc.

But for a lot of people shopping is how they experience foreign places - so who am I to judge what they want to do in port? So let's face it - if you were a cruise director and you got asked 100 times/cruise where the best place to shop was - you would soon feel like you were giving away free advertising, wouldn't you?

As long as the shops are reputable I see no problem with the cruise lines giving you a map and charging the shops to do it. Same thing as a mall in any city where the landlord gets rent and a portion of the retail for advertising the mall.

However - I do believe it is very hard to regulate these small stores on remote islands, and I also urge people to be cautious about buying anything in port unless you are ready to accept the fact that it could be a bad buy. I am also skeptical of any cruise line's ability to regulate the guarantee's - it is just logistically too difficult to manage.

My girlfriend bought a Tanzanite on an island that was eventually appraised at twice what she paid for it, so you can get a good deal. But she was lucky, and there are scams everywhere, and if I get scammed, I want it to happen where I have some recourse, not on a 3rd-world island.

Old August 16th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Zack

Buyer beware!
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Still directing people to trash articles that slam cruiselines I see.
Jim

Old August 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Captain

I DID find the article informative. Like most of us, I always knew the ship got some sort of "kickback" from port merchants recommended in the "port talks" (infomercials)some lines have. It's way too obvious not to figure it out quickly! But the article provided new information (for me) on the mechanics of this system.

Most of the up-scale lines don't have these infomercials, but have real lectures on the sites and culture of the ports. Some lines have BOTH kinds of lectures. Fine. But the real problem is with the lines that have only the infomercial type of port talk, and there are a bunch of them. On these lines, the guests just don't get the kind of information they need to truly enjoy the port call and see the sites. And that's the problem here.

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Ships & Port Shopping - Article - CRUISE LINES EX

Problem is that this "article" only points out the negative things involved and forgets to mention the positive things such as the cruiselines placing a GTY on the items bought there and having the power to put the pressure on these establishement to treat the customer properly. It is a win-win situation for the most part. Of course it is advertisement of the paid kind, just like any of the local celebrities are paid to promote cars, clubs, restaurants, cellphones etc.They have never denied that it wasn't. ALl they report is that they recommend them and have a certain degree of power over them to insure they treat their passengers properly.
Jim

Old August 19th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Admiral

I think it all amounts to the free enterprise system - and if you wan't to pay extra for the safeguards you are free to do so. It's like shore excursions - you will pay more through the ship than with the locals - but you are guaranteed a timely return with one - and might have to swim like the dickens otherwise. To each his own. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
First Mate

Brings back memories of the 70's when the cruise director would wait,patiently, on the dock for each sotre owner to come by and give the CD his 'envelope" for the days take
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Cruisingrandma

I guess I look at it that the cruise lines are a business. If they make money from me shopping so be it. Hey I care less. I am having the time of my life. If I decide to shop and they get a kick back. hey more power to them. I guess we could look in our every day life and find people getting kick backs from everything we do. Thats life. Live with it. Dont shop the stores they recommend then. Simple as that...... Happy cruising...
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Admiral

I agree with Paul. People can be and will be gullible and spend their money on foolish purchases. I wouldn't buy a camera in a small Caribbean Island country knowing that taking it back for repairs or refund would be impossible. But buying a bottle of rum is something else.

Just be smart about your purchases.

Regards,
Thomas