Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:36 AM
frequent cruiser

Default Cruise Ships & Art Auctions - Article - CRUISE LINES EXP

A very interesting article was posted at http://www.ecotravelernews.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM
debp

Default Re: Cruise Ships & Art Auctions - Article - CRUISE LINES

I stay as far away as I can from art auctions and shopping while cruising. That is a cruise gripe for me. None of the art I saw was that unusual. I do like art, and have been in wonderful museums around the globe to experience it. I would much prefer to see port lectures on history and culture rather than shopping talks, but that unfortunately, would just be a service and not bring the cruise line any money. Follow the money....

Why anyone would be shocked about the quality of the gems or the art appraisals is beyond me. I do shop for local unusual items when visiting a foreign country, but I have galleries and fine diamond and jewelry stores about 2 miles from my home. If I am not satisfied, I can go right back to the store where the item was purchased. No need to waste valuable vacation time on that activity as I really don't want any of it anyway.

Okay, I have griped. I can see where people who do not live in an area where these type of items are obtainable would enjoy shopping there. I think most "bargains" are in the eye of the beholder.
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Cruise Ships & Art Auctions - Article - CRUISE L

I also agree - I especially do not like the art auctions for the same reason - if you have a complaint it is too hard to get satisfaction.

I read the article, and I find this claim ---

Quote:
A "Salvador Dali" signed lithograph was purchased as a wedding gift recently but when the couple finally set up house and went to have it appraised for insurance purposes they were told it was worth only $50 (though the purchasers paid $4,000).
to be questionable unless the auctioneer was actually dishonest. I have sat in on many art auctions and I have always found them to be accurate on the difference between a "signed" original, a "signed lithograph" and a "block signature."

It sounds like it was a block signature, which is what almost all the pieces are if it is a famous artist. To say it is an original signature is a completly different story, and outside of the 30-day period or not, that would be fraud in my opinion. I would like to know the source of that story and the actual resolution.

Old August 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Lets be honest its all over priced, over hyphed crap.

Stay away from it. We cruised with an English based art dealer friend in the Carib last year who could not believe how gullible some people were. He could only think that it was like some land based auctions he had seen and some people bidding got caught up in the moment and as he put it, fools and their money are soon parted.

Just dont through your money away, unless it's only for fun and you can afford the disappointment. later
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Captain

Perhaps it's just me, or the lines I cruise, but it seems that art auctions are drawing smaller and smaller attendance, and some sailings don't even have them. To my experience, these autctions sell copies almost totally, with darn few originals. I don't know enough about the subject to arrive at a value in my own mind, so I stay away.

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Zack

You can buy prints and frames separately and in your home area. They pry on the shopaholchics with money to burn.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I witnessed a passenger on the Miracle in May win a bid for a Renior painting and it was $395.000. I am sure that this individaul had to know what she was doing. That is alot of money to be "just throwing it away". At the last auction it was announced that she had purchased over $695,000 worth of art. This was our first cruise and we found it interesting. I purchased some sports items that I have had appriased locally and have been told that they are worth exactly what was quoted to us on the ship.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:13 PM
First Mate

The last Renoir painting, Dans les roses (Madame Léon Clapisson). 1882 sold for
$23,528,000 at Sotheby’s New York on May 6, 2003. The last Renior painting sold for considerably less. [Sorry, couldn't help myself.]

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

tv - Not kidding about the female passenger that bought the Renior painting.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Well the painting I bought on the Millenium was an original and the price was a steal in my opinion. I've never seen another one like it. I'm so anxious to show visitors the Velvel Elvis Playing Poker with the Dogs!

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:22 PM
First Mate

I was making a joke about the misspelling of Renoir with the inference that a painting signed Renior would tend to fetch a substantially lower price. That got me to wondering if there might actually be a painter named Renior. A google search for "Renior painting" actually came back with 660 hits - all of them referring to the the French impressionist Pierre Auguste Renoir. Now my French isn't the best, but aren't anglophones familiar with a common phrase like film noir? On the other hand, perhaps they pronounce the painter's name reNEEor? :-)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would be willing to bet a cruise that the Renoir for $395 was a framed print and the frame was worth more than the print. A true Renoir would not sell for $395, unless it was Fred Renoir. <VBG>

There are some reasonable deals at art auctions and some real rip offs. On Carnival Legend there was a framed, signed Harmon Killebrew jersey. It was outside the Sports Bar with a sign next to it that said it would be up for auction. I asked the auctioneer when they were going to put it up and he told me that they weren't. They used it to bring people in. I thought it was basically misrepresentation, or worse.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mike not $395 dollars......$395,000 thousand dollars.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Ships & Art Auctions - Article - CRUISE LINES EXP

Art auctions are what they are. If you like the print, painting, cell, etc and are willing to pay for it then it is a good del. If you are looking for investments then it isn't. As for these "hyped" articles, and yes they are hyped and 'yellow reporting', I don't like them or pay any attention to them. They are nothing more than someone making a buck to stirr the pot and people that try to stir up people for no other reason than to get attention I personally don't care much about either. Stimulated debate is great, hyperbole isn't.
Jim