Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default People who let Small Things RUIN their cruises!

I hate it when that happens.
People get all riled up about the smallest things. Because they didn't get perfect chocolates every night on their pillow, the cruise was ruined. Often they could just go to the pursers, maitre'd etc. for help, and it would all be fixed up. Other times they should learn the rules and abide by what they are dealt in the game of life. People need to LIGHTEN UP, Not let the little things get to them, and most definitely need to MAKE the MOST of what there is.

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Captain

Default Re: People who let Small Things RUIN their cruises!

If there is a problem, I like to first report it to the Hotel Manager. This is the person on a cruise who is in charge of all the things that should make your cruise enjoyable ----- except not sinking, which is ultimately the responsibility of the Captain! Maybe I'm lucky, but the few problems I've had have always been addressed, without the need for me to have a "gripe" , withhold tips, or anything else. After all, all the people serving us are human, and there can be scheduling or assignment errors, and all that. I've always found that reporting the matter to the Hotel Manager with a "problem solving" attitude rather than a "blaming" one gets the problem solved rather quickly.

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

While I agree with your sentiment, if there are a whole bunch of little things that go wrong, that can add up to be a big thing. Yes, you can try and address things onboard to the proper person, but if that doesn't work.......then I think people have legitimate complaints.

I will add that the only bad cruise I have ever been on was my first one back in 1991 - on the Carnival Fantasy....it was a litany of errors that even when addressed by the proper person(s)on board were not fixed. It did ruin my cruise (all 3 days of it)...and it took me 8 years to try cruising again. Thank goodness all of my cruises since 1999 have been enjoyable (some better than others but no compounding of problems that made my first one so bad.)

Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Captain

Lisa:

I agree with you. If ever I had a series of things that were wrong, and I first reported them to the Hotel Manager, and they were not fixed, my cruise enjoyment would certainly be impaired. I took a cruise a year ago on which room service was impaired, there were too many unsupervised kid onboard who were playing "racing games" with the elevators, and we had engine problems and missed a port. I complained (in a friendly manner, but still direct) to first the Hotel Manager, and then the Captain. I saw him walking by the pool bar and said, "Hi, let me get you a drink." Then I said "Everybody knows there have been problems on this cruise. What is going to be done about it?" He said "Tomorrow, we will announce that all guests will have a $500 credit on their next cruise on this line." I said "OK, great." And that was the end of my gripe! However, had there been no resolution, or had these people been "unavailable" for me to talk too, then I WOULD have had a REAL problem with hat cruise!

Thanks,
Richard
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM
Yeoman

I'm not so much concerned about people who let small things ruin THEIR cruise, as much as people who let small things ruin OTHER PEOPLE'S cruises, either by handling their dissatisfaction poorly aboard ship, or by handling their dissatisfaction poorly after the cruise, at home among friends and co-workers, or online, by blowing what they experienced out of proportion. I see evidence here that many people try hard to keep their dissatisfaction in proper context, while clearly some do not.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is one thing that really bothers me, when older women wear cheap perfume that they have douse themselves in. I have asthma and that really makes me choke!!

I do try and move away from them so I can't smell that cheap perfume, I just wish they would get the message and stop wearing so much of the cheap perfume!! A little of it goes a long way!!
Please don't misunerdstand me, I like older women, just not thier choice of perfume. I'm 60 yrs old so I'm an older woman.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to foodstorekeeper

Boy, am I fortunate that I do not get to work with the guests. Down in the Food Stores, my frozen meat don't have to complain about why they are cooped up inside the freezers for such long periods of time or the fresh veggies don't complain why their room isn't cold enough or what have you. But, in all fairness...some GUESTS tend to react in such a way that their actions affect, if not, ruin the cruise for other Guests. If the problem was such a big deal, why not sue the Shipping company once you get back home and not act like ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE and irritate your fellow guests. Indeed, its quite amusing to see some Guests react in such manner...
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: People who let Small Things RUIN their cruises!

We cruise to relax & get away from real life for a while.
With the right attitude, problems turn into adventures.
Like the time we had no room dude for most of the week,
one guy got let go, and the next broke his foot. Our cabin
didn't get touched for three or four days. We had some fun
with the hotel manager and pursers desk on thursday.
Or the time the schooner bartender spilled a foo foo all over me.
I got free drinks for the rest of the week.
Or the time on the Destiny when the air conditioner didn't.
We turned on the shower and made a reverse sauna out of it.
Or the time I caught the lady in the room next to us carrying a
deck chair out of her cabin at 11AM.
She didn't have to reserve one, she borrowed one the night before
Come on guys, go out with the intention of having fun and
don't let anything get in your way.

See ya'll soon
joEmo

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:44 PM
JImeeee4

I believe part of the problem is that people get so worked up about their cruise that they feel let down as soon as they board. Cabin door handles are not gold plated after all, (at least on our 18 cruises) the captain doesn't meet each passenger at the gangway, The room stewart has a schedule. Room service does expect a tip. And of all things....THEY CHARGE FOR ICE CREAM! (at least on Princess, our ONLY cruise line) Get used to it, it's just a cruise. Budget for tips and ice cream. Laugh at little things (Did you ever don a tux in total darkness)
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Admiral

My dear late Aunt Bertha (who once told me she bet I couldn't wait for her to die so I could spit on her grave---I told her not to worry about it, I hate standing in long lines.) went on a two month cruise around South America. She found a bug in her stateroom and went screaming at the top of her lungs all the way from her stateroom to the purser's desk. A brave assistant purser was dispatched to kill the offending creature. She harrassed and sued the cruise line becuase they would not refund her money over the "horror". Mind you it was one bug. However for years afterwards that is all she could remember about the cruise and would carry on for hours about it. She said the incident ruined the cruise. Also keep in mind that if the same bug had appeared in her house she would have chosen an appropriate implement of destruction and dispatched it to its final reward without a second thought.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:05 PM
First Mate

It does sometimes amaze me what people get worked up about:
lack of towel animals, crew not behaving in a sufficiently servile and cheerful manner (apparently for some people the crew doing their jobs efficiently is not enough), fellow passengers are fat, not fashion conscious enough, don't set the right 'tone" (really - as long as people are clean and polite - what else really matters) And my personal favorite "No-one asked me if I was having a good time".
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Lets face it, some people just live to complain. If it all went right on the vacation, they would complain that it did.

By day three they would be hyper ventilating running round the ship to find something to moan or complain about. Sad people, thats all they are.

But let us understand that these so called complaints are their potential and only subject of conversation for the next few months or in some even sadder cases years.

But I can spot them in the supermarket, restaurant, the post office, the bank. the car park of "anywhere In fact any place I live my life in 365 days.

So what do I do, same as the above scenarios have a laugh to myself,, ignore them and pray to God I dont turn out the same way
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Admiral

The best one I heard was the dame who was witholding tips from the wait staff at dinner because her water glass was not always topped up on time - yeeesh! Like they have nothing better to do. I think the ones who complain the most are after "something for nothing". My glass is always half full - theirs is half empty (pun intended}. As my granny used to stay they are "more to be pitied than scolded". I just watched the footage of the school massacre in Russia and I have absolutley nothing to complain about. TTFN Jennifer
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Yeoman

To be fair, I will reduce a tip to a restaurant server if I go for a drink and my glass is empty. That's not the same as stiffing a server for a half-empty glass, though.
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've mentioned this incident before, so I hope people don't think I'm trying to give Celebrity a bad name or anything, because, for the record, I found their service, decor and catering the best of the moderately-priced lines, and would welcome any chance to cruise with them again.
On a Southern Carib. cruise in Jan 2003 aboard their splendid new Constellation, my tablemates included a family of four from the midwest whose relaxing late afternoon in their balcony cabin was interrupted by the mom's bloodcurdling scream. Something had dropped onto the dad from the ceiling-- he thought it was a bug and instinctively flicked it off him and it landed on the mom...turned out to be a scorpion! (I guess when your ship is traveling through the tropics, all sorts of things might get into its ventilation ducts!)
Ship's officers soon appeared in the cabin to investigate-- was this a hoax? When it became clear that it was not, the officers seemed worried-- passengers in this position often feel entitled to sue for negligence, infliction of emotional distress, "loss of consortium", you name it-- but of course, the whole point of this story is that these passengers did no such thing; I don't think that kind of behavior would even have occurred to them. How refreshing! All they wanted was the removal of the offending critter, and some sort of fine screen tacked up to their air-conditioning outlet, just in case it had any relatives still living up there. They didn't even ask for a change of cabin, and they certainly didn't let this shock ruin their cruise.
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Captain

The scorpion story is funny! On the Radisson Paul Gauguin a couple of years ago, I came to dinner limping because,with all the great snorkeling opportunities, I had pulled a muscle in my left leg. The Hotel director came up to me and was very concerned because he had heard a story that I had been elinlisted to push a 4X4 out of the mud on an excursion and had hurt my leg there. While I had been on the 4X4 excursion, and a truck had become stuck, a tractor was brought in to pull it out and I had nothing to do with it. I had to assure him several times that my leg injury was simply the result of my not knowing my own physical limits in swimming.

The good news was that there was a French doctor onboard who had medicines not available in the US, and for $25 (refundable under my travel insurance) he had my leg problems cured in about four hours.

All in all, the best cruise I've ever had!

Thanks,
Richard
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:46 AM
iowaguy

When they run out of booze I will have a problem.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Beginner

There is one thing that really bothers me, when older women wear cheap perfume that they have douse themselves in. I have asthma and that really makes me choke!!

It isn't only the cheap perfume that makes me, and others that are sensitive, choke. Most perfume have the same effect. Women who wear perfume all the time are unaware as how strong it is, and are unable to smell it on themselves
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Yeoman

To be fair, I will reduce a tip to a restaurant server if I go for a drink and my glass is empty. That's not the same as stiffing a server for a half-empty glass, though.>>>>>

wow imo thats harsh --- what if you finish your glass of water right after he walks past your table --------------remember he is serving other tables and cant be at your elbow with a water pitcher in one hand and a fork in the other just in case you drop yours

Old October 25th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Now Doug - you are getting philosophical on us!!!! My mind can't take it!!!!!! <vbg>

Old October 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: People who let Small Things RUIN their cruises!

Gulp down a full glass of water, and I agree, you may have to wait a few minutes for a refill. If you sip it bit by bit, it should get refilled long-before you get to the bottom.

Old November 10th, 2004, 10:30 PM
alan vines

"loss of consortium" who can i sue about that???? doesn't have to be a cruise line just anybody but the real culprits----my kids have no money no use to sue them--------

my favorite complaint is the infamous rocking boat
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:36 AM
First Mate

"I can't help wondering why anyone would be upset that OTHER people let small things ruin their cruises."

Very simply, such people also make a habit of trying to convince everyone else that they should be equally outraged, and become even more incensed when you won't play along with them. They seem to be just as upset that others are having a good time and enjoying themselves.

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM
BehindTheShutter

BAHAHAHAHHAA...too funny Doug. Thanks for the belly laugh!
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Re: People who let Small Things RUIN their cruises!

I had to stop my wife from posting here about what "small" thing ruins her cruises!!

banker

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
BehindTheShutter

*spits soda on monitor* BWAHAHAHAHHAHAAA

.....isn't that cute, a second belly button...
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
candy15

You are so right on, Jennifer!