Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Default Screamers

While reboarding in Nassau, one of the lines was suddenly rerouted to the other gangway. There were only about 7 people in line, so we trudged over to the other entrance. One guy went totally NUTS - screaming at the top of his lungs that he *wasn't* going to move.

Still screaming, he demanded the crew member's name and refused to comply. We were all onboard by this time and he was still screaming....

I just can't imagine causing such a scene and screaming in public like that. Not that I've never raised my voice, but it seemed such a small thing to lose control over.

It reminded me of the petulant toddler years when they scream until they get what they want.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Screamers

I always worry for the staff in a situation like that because by the time the screamer reports the "issue" to the management, he probably blows it way out of proportion, and then it is the guest's word against the staff.

There are worst things than Prozac!!!

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM
Admiral

I must have missed somthing..What was his problem? Did'nt get the lollipop he wanted?

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

lol i dont know.
yeah i mean this guy was nuts to add to what my mom said, their were 2 lines on the 2nd gangway that we had to move to, he got in one cuz it was short, the crew guy told him that that was for exiting guests only....KA BLAM!evry body started to duck and cover after that.

Old September 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Heavens ! This kind of behaviour would be embarassing coming from a two year old. There is no excuse for an "adult" (and I use that term loosely) to behave this way. My sympathy to the crew and to any passengers who had to endure this.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
JaneMarlow

What a freak-show...what does a ninny like that do in an actual emergency?

When I was a travel agent I had a client call from Hawaii and scream that he had slipped on the beach and "scratched his buttocks". Some people just have very little to think about I suppose.
Old September 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Bet he was avoided like the plague for the rest of the cruise by those that witnessed it !!!!

Hey JaneMarlow, that could have spoiled that poor guys vacation,,, nod nod wink wink, know what I mean<g>
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

There is always someone like that! I'm guessing there was a little drinking on shore! Wouldn't you love to see him/her not allowed to embark or at least make them wait til the last person is on board.
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Best story I ever heard relating to SCREAMING was one related by the Hotel Manager on Voyager of the Seas.

After being unable to tender into Labadee, because of sea conditions (which does happen occassionally), a passenger GOT IN HIS FACE, demanding a full refund because he had only booked this cruise because of its stop in Labadee... where he had a VERY important meeting business meeting scheduled in downtown Labadee.

The problem with the arguement was there IS NO downtown Labadee. It's one of RCI's private beach stops.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Kuki, on the Majesty we didn't go to cococay, I should have tried that!!

"I have to undergo a very serious operation at the fine medical facility on the island, the surgical team is being flown in as we speak!"

"That was my purpose for this trip. Right next to guy selling weed was a guy who sold me a brain transplant on the island for 5 bucks!!"

banker

Old September 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki, that is priceless. I mean, if the guy had been obviously kidding, that would have been a great gag for the amusement of all those around him-- but the fact that he was actually seriously trying to get away with that crap! Too much...

As for "screamers" generally, I have a line I like to use that seems to throw them off-balance in mid-rant. In my best hokey 1960's-TV-commercial voice, I ask: "Say, Bob-- have you ever thought about trying a DECAFFINATED coffee?"
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Decaf and about 3 fewer frog margaritas at Senor Frogs.........

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
JaneMarlow

Oh Kuki! What a tale! Going to Labadee and not knowing one was actually in Haiti.
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
ESS

As polite society becomes but a pleasant memory, there are some who think that making a scene and screaming at helpless staff is a way to obtain goods and services.
Yell and scream and everyone will either cater to you or will offer you cash to make it all good.
I have always maintained that you can judge a person's character by how they treat people who can't respond
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM
First Mate

I do enjoy the behavior of those few that validate my mellow attitude. I, for one, would have hung around and then gone to the Purser's office to report a maniac onboard.
I make it a point to defend the little guy when the bozo's of the world attempt to intimidate and or humiliate.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

We had a screamer on Carnival Spirit last year. He was mad because the tour operator would not make an extra trip back to town to pick up he and his family after taking the rest of the group back to the ship. He was pacing up and down by the lido pool yelling at anyone around that he was going to sue everyone from the tour operator to Carnival Corp. The reason for this tirade, he wanted to stay and drink some more.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Admiral

CruzNut2 - no great surprise there!

I've noticed a direct link between a screamer's volume and the amount of alcohol in his bloodstream.

Funny, when I drink I get so HAPPY! I like everyone....maybe a little too much.

When the older gentleman in Senor Frogs asked me what made my frog margarita oh-so-very-green, I leaned over, patted him on the leg and said "Frogs - they throw 'em in the blender for color." My dh rolled his eyes and said "time to go honey"...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Familiar Face

When I have witness someone out of control, when the crew member gets away from the person, I go up to him and tell him I work for a psych hospital (which I do )
and tell them I'll be happy to give them the phone number so he can call for someone to pick up the screamer.
It usually brings a smile to the crew member who was just chewed out.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Good Merg!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Passenger

Wow, and people complain about toddlers' behavior on the ships - maybe these screaming people missed their morning naps?
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

ahem, not a cruise screamer, but in the same vein. Yesterday i got chewed out for something WAAAYY out of my control. We had cancelled a sunday flight (for next month) and advised the gentleman who was at my desk, now we have offered a FULL refund or a rebooking (Free of course). Now Mr. X, as i shall call him, chose to cancel with a full refund, ok no problem. Please could he return his tickets to our refunds departement in the pre-paid envelope provided and the refund will be issued.
Mr X has done this and the tickets have vanished, not hard given the postal system in the UK, Mr X came all the way to the airport yesterday to SHOUT at me that it was disgusting we had never given him a refund and had rebooked him, that is done automatically by a computer programme and will stay that way until he cancels. I explained that we cannot refund until the tickets are with us, otherwise how do we know he won't still have them and have a free ride? He was jumping up and down and guess what.....he will never fly with us again! he is utterly convinced we have the tickets and are deliberately not giving him his money back and it is all my fault!

just a quick note, due to jeanne the other day all flights from Dulles - FL had been cancelled, a passenger leaving from england to dulles asked me if i thought the hurricane would have passed before she got there (to dulles, i mean). i said i didn't know and she basically told me i was useless! Hang on there madam i'll pop off and consult my crystal ball! %^£$""&$£!!!

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

We had a screamer while boarding the Glory a few weeks ago. Two lines formed to board passengers, there were three of the little "boop boop" machines that photograph you prior to boarding. The line on the right was moving right along, the staff member on that side was directing this line to two machines, line on the left was congested and going one at a time to one machine. When this man saw why his line was slower he began ranting and name calling. When I have a complaint I always find that starting my sentance with "What the hell is wrong with you!" is a very effective problem solving tool (NOT). I guess he didn't mind looking like an ass, because I heard his mouth while waiting for dinner the first night when the diningroom opened a little late, in the line at the deli and upon debarkation when he couldn't find his duffell!

Isn't it weird how on a ship with 2000+ people, you can see the same 20 people over and over again. Am I the only one that notices this?

Lesley
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Lesley you are so right about noticing the same 20 people! And all 20 of them obnoxious.....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Screamers

cruznRn, you'd better copyright that phrase - "boop" "boop"

It's like a hollow boop with a slight lasting resonance for about half a second. But as soon as you said it I did an "audio" in my head and heard the sound.

Very effective!

banker
Old October 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Hey cruises should be like the old Airplane movie for screamers.

Sit them down and everyone going past gives them a good slap as they board or disembark, that would shut them up >g>