Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Penny Pinchers

Keep to the subject, David, and please stop trying to distract people from the lack of support for your indefensible positions.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
pg

Default Re: Penny Pinchers

Lexxity, Cruise Princess, wine and champane are legal to bring on.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:38 AM
Captain

pg:

Good point. Cruise a line that allows you to do what you want to do! Makes sense to me.

And let's all be nice to bicker! Actually, I'm a lawyer, but he is doing a better job of it than I ever did. And, to be realistic about it all, what are you "booze sneakers" going to do when your line does what NCL has done, and starts X raying CHECKED LUGGAGE, via their security department, for "weapons of mass inebriation?" Well, your luggage won't get to your room in any reasonable time, and you'll be required to go down to security in the middle of the night to unlock it, so the "booze police" can take and hold any offending substance till the last day of your cruise. Many of these lines have no problem with changing their policy without notice to booked guests, so beware! Yes, it's supposed to be a free country (or at least it was) but your freedoms can be taken away by contract, and some cruise lines are doing just that. And some people are actually paying to be treated like this?

Me? I cruise a line that does not care what beverages I bring onboard. A couple of years ago, I was on one of their cruises in Italy. I went into port and bought a six pack of local beer to drink on my balcony (which I like to do, the way some sample local wines), and also bought a replica of an 18th century flintlock pistol (non-firing, of course) to display in my library at home. Well, I walked on the ship with both in plain sight. The security man said the beer was OK, but he would have to keep the model pistol till the end of the cruise,as it might frighten some guests. I said, OK, as this was reasonable. Then my wife said "See, if we had been on NCL, they would taken your beer and let you keep your gun!"

Enough said,
Richard
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:56 AM
Yeoman

Actually, in this case, freedoms aren't being taken away, you're giving them away. As you suggest, people have a choice whether they wish to do so, or choose a different cruise line where they don't have to do so.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:14 AM
Captain

bicker:

Absolutely correct. And why do you suppose people are doing this, and then griping about it post-cruise?

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:15 AM
Yeoman

Buyers' remorse.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Captain

Then, why do they keep buying?

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM
Yeoman

Gluttons (for punishment). <grin>

Seriously, I do think that's it to some extent: People rationalize splurging on themselves by adopting higher expectations than those that have foundation in the promises made by the supplier, as if the higher expectations make up for having spent the amount of money they spent. By directing the concern externally, they reduce the stress they'd feel themselves. Don't knock it... folks who cannot manage to do that are online at 2:32 AM instead of sleeping, eh?

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
DALSAL

gee after reading all these post....I NEED A DRINK! (and I dont drink)...maybe one of those fruity things with an umbrella in it....
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

hee hee,
i do cruise a line that allows me to bring some booze on and they also give me a free bottle of the bubbly stuff, so are they encouraging me?

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Captain

bicker:

Here is one for your comment. A friend booked HAL in January, '04 for a July, '04 sailing. At time of booking, all written material was to the effect that carry on alcohol was allowed, and one could buy a bottle in the ships store for 20% above duty free. Ditto for when the docs came. But by the time the friend embarked, HAL had radically changed policy. No carry on. And the ship would only sell guests a bottle as part of a pretty high priced package that had to be pre ordered. And as the program was brand new, there was no way my friend could order, according to HAL.

I think we agree that when a line writes in a contractual provision when we book and get our docs, we can expect to have to live with it. But here, the line changed their own contract with no notice to the guest. What do you think?

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

This may be applicable:
Quote:
"... the Company may make changes ... to any Company service or product at any time without notice ..."
Amazing, but true. We all agree to that whenever we partake of the company's promotional materials. The law would only require the company to provide a service comparable to the advertising, as would be deemed by a reasonable, unbiased third-party (read: judge or jury), but not necessarily in compliance with any specifics that may have been provided in promotional materials in advance of a trip.

By the same token, if you ask specifically, and get a specific assurance in writing that you'll have the service provided you a certain way, then you're surely entitled to it. Few people have the forethought to try to get everything that is critical to their enjoyment of their vacation guaranteed in writing, and the nature of the mass-market is that no business would ever agree to provide such guarantees. Profitable business requires the flexibility to make the kinds of changes to service that you alluded to, when necessary.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OK:
I said it nice before but this time it is not so nice. Stay with the topic and stop the personal attacks.

It only takes a couple of seconds to do a mass deletes of all of an individuals posts then the minutes it takes to wade through threads and delete multiple personal attacks. Settle down folks or it is going to happen.

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Captain

MikeM.

Excuse me, but I don't see the problem here. The last posts were wherein I merely asked another poster a question, and he answered it. I don't see any personal attack here at all.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

babe ruth, I think (I know I shouldn't; gets me in trouble) that Mike is referring to all posts in other threads in general, not this thread in particular.

I think our cruisemates community leaders (zookeepers) should allow a designated thread which allows personal attacks!

complete with "you mamma so fat....." jokes

banker

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The posts I was referring to were deleted.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Hands up it was me. I went for it with Bicker, in releflection it may have been a bit over the top. Mist has cleared, normal comments resumed.