Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Lloyd

Default Tipping?? we dont bother

We have been on three cruises now and just about to start our forth in less than three weeks time and to be perfectly frank we have never tipped a penny ,and dont intent to start!This is not because of bad service e.c.t On the contary,you can not get better service than you recieve on any of the ships we have sailed on.
We both agree that the level of service recieved in purchasing food,drinks,services e.c.t should be reflected in the overall cost of the goods.We pay big bucks for the cabin and the long haul flights to the USA so therfor have limited funds to spend when we arrive there.
What level of tipping do you guys think in fair?
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Tipping?? we dont bother

oh dear lloyd,
prepare for the backlash!! if you have read some of the other tipping threads you are now officially public enemy no. 1. but i agree, i tip only for good service, not because it is the rule.
good luck
lexx

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Tipping is not expected in many parts of the world and I would not tip in those places (I would not wish to offend anyone.) However, on a cruise ship, if the service is good to excellent, tipping IS expected, and unless the service was absymal, I would never not tip (again, I do not wish to offend anyone.) It is just common courtesy to follow the practices of the area you are visiting. It is as simple as that.

Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Fair and recommended is $10 per person, per day. Take the "when in Rome" statement to heart. To NOT tip on board is a serous breach of etiquette.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
ESS

Enjoy not tipping while you can. More and more cruise lines are moving towards withdrawing the tip automatically from your credit card. I would hazard a guess within ten years that practice will be the industry standard
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Passenger

What don't people understand? $10.00 a day is nothing compared to on land dining and hotel room service. I feel that if I'm going to ask someone to schlep around for me than I should at least give them something for their time. Everyone's time is worth something, regardless what your occupation is. Shame on anyone that would deliberately take away tips. You never know when that little tiny person that changes the sheets can make something happen so that your trip isn't ruined,(remember the staff are a team and you are not a part of their team) or the little tiny guy that takes out the trash helps you find something that got accidently thrown away.
Think about how you might need someone else, and if you have cheated them, they just might not go that extra mile to help you.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:51 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

you know this post is very random

Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Duct_tape_pro,
And your point is?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

i dont have a point im just saying its random

Old October 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Passenger

D.T.P.
Ah I see what you're not saying.
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

In general, the only time I don't tip is under extreme circumstances and very bad service. I also try to keep in mind, however, that certain people may be at fault other than the person I am expected to tip. For example, if I am at a restaurant that is crowded at it takes an hour or more from the time I order until my food is served (which has happened before), it is not necessarily the server's fault - most likely the kitchen is the one that's backed up. If the server is polite and trying their best to get the food out when it's ready, there's no reason not to tip them. For another example, this weekend my fiance and I had reservations at a popular Japanese restaurant for 7:30. We arrived early, at 7:15, and yet were not even seated until 8:00. We had to take two things into consideration: one, there are a lot of Homecomings this time a year and they tend to go to restaurants such as the one we went to. Two, the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is going on right now, which attracts unbelievable amounts of people from out of town and overcrowds all of the restaurants. It was also the type of restaurant where they cook at your table, and small parties are seated together at one table, so you have to wait until an entire table is availble before you can be seated. Once we were seated, we didn't get a cook at our table until a quarter till nine, but it was simply due to the crowd. The server still got a tip, because he was not at fault for the slow service. I usually make it a point to tip 15% for expected service, a little more for excellent service, and nothing if the server is unbearable. One time I was out with my family, and the waitress was being downright rude to us and her other tables. One table even tore up their check and walked out right was the waitress was bringing their food (the checks at this place were always left on the table after you ordered). When she brought our food, she literally slammed our plates down, spilling some of the food, and huffed off. That kind of service deserves no tip. I would say the same thing applies on cruise ships. Tip what you feel is appropirate, but don't stiff the servers unless they deserve it.

Old October 4th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Some people are just plain cheap. Please quit trying to cover it up with philosophy that is nothing but thinly disguised rationalization.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Doug: AMEN! Nicely put. Nothing will change those who won't tip - it's just the way it is. It's unfortunate, but we cannot legislate good taste or manners. Oh well....

Old October 4th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Passenger

I also believe in tipping according to the service I have received. I have travelled quite a bit over the last 30 years but starting cruising only six years and have taken five cruises so far. On these five cruises, I have never had bad service. Either I've been lucky or perhaps I'm so happy to be on vacation that nothing bugs me. Compared to the service in hotels and restaurants on land, I have found service on ships superb. I have especially enjoyed being pampered by my cabin attendant. I have never been refused anything I asked for on a ship and the service was always with a smile. Not to leave a tip for people like that is mean and basically tells these hardworking people that their hard work means nothing to you. No matter how you've scrimped and saved for a cruise (like me), you should always budget for tips on the ship. I always budget for tips and keep that cash separate so I don't spend it. There have been times when I've had such outstanding service that I went over my budget. One of the reasons most of us ordinary working people can afford to cruise and see the world is because the ships pay such low wages to their employees. I know -- I know -- the money goes a long way in their countries and they are lucky to have a job -- nevertheless, their had work should be rewarded. Tipping doesn't seem to be big with some Europeans. I always have to encourage my German cousins to tip at restaurants when they come over to Canada. I think they forget that the tip is not included in the bills like it is in many European countries. I still believe that the person who started this thread is a rarity on cruise ships. I think that most people, no matter what their financial circumstances are, still reward good service as they themselves know how good it feels to have your good work appreciated. I have found the Americans and fellow Canadians I have cruised with to be very fair. I believe that as a whole, we are a very generous and appreciative group.
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Yeoman

We pay big bucks for the cabin and the long haul flights to the USA >>

let me see if i got this right --you dont tip on the ship because you had to buy a plane tix to get to the ship and you paid big bucks for the cabin ---you are so astute because all the rest of us get our cabins for free and we walk to the departure city in order to have the air fare money for tips

with that logic i dont have to tip in a restaurant that i drive to because i have a car payment- insurance payment - gas bill payment and most important of all i had to put 25 cents in the meter

my suggestion is save enough money to tip the hard working people and stop making whimpy excuses ---------as posted earlier some people are just plain cheap and will rationalize why their point of view is correct and everyone else is out of step

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Amen Doug. Cheap is cheap and all the rational in the world doesn't justify not tipping on a cruise ship. This subject gets covered every few months here and it always comes out the same. I will continue to tip , if only to make up for those few who do not.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Lloyd,
We always tip at least the minimum and usually add to that depending on the service. When you pay for your cruise, you are not paying any of these service people, therefore its customary to tip them, just can't understand how you can go and get served all week and not tip? Thats how these people make their living and one of the reasons some lines are using the automatic tipping, so they can get paid, I hope you re-think and tip on your next cruise, its the right thing to do.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Tipping is a fact of life on most cruise lines. Regardless of one's customs at home, the expectation is that the staff will receive tips for the service provided.

The only downside to the current practice is that the crew often have to put up with rude behavior in silence, hoping for a tip, which they might not receive anyway. Rude behavior ranges from very late arrivals in the dining room with expectations of full service, to out and out abuse.

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Many people have griped about NCL's new "service charge" practice whereby the amount of US$10 per adult (and lesser amounts for children) will be assessed against every passenger. This practice is already in place on the Pride of Aloha, and will be assessed fleet-wide beginning next May. This charge will not be subject to removal by the passengers, according to NCL's statements.

I would be very surprised if this practice does not spread to the other cruise lines in the next year or two. While the reasons given by NCL may be somewhat suspect, including how these monies will be dispensed, I for one am happy that they've taken this action as long as the money actually goes to the people (crewmembers) performing the services.

I don't know how many passengers "stiff" the crew as a regular practice, but perhaps this is the best way to even the playing field once and for all. Time will tell, I guess.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jack:
The only thing that bothers me about this is that the staff are still allowed to accept tips. I feel this will become as confusing as HAL's "Tipping Not Required" slogan. Tipping is never required. I just have a gut feeling that with the new service charge the $10 will end up going into a black hole of bureaucracy and the passenger will still be expected to tip $$ dollars per day.

Having said that: Tips are the source of income for service personnel on most cruise ships and if you decide not to tip it is your prerogative. It is also my prerogative to feel that someone who does not tip is cheap.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Until the advent of "auto tipping", the average "stiff rate" was around 18 -20 %.

So, basically 1 in 5 people were NOT tipping.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:13 AM
First Mate

SHAME on you Lloyd and other non-tippers. I think everyone should try making a living on (mainly) tips. Lets see how you would feel about working your butt off for nothing.
Just because "your country" doesn't do the tipping thing, doesn't mean you don't follow the common courtesy of others. When in Rome........INDEED. Why not stay in YOUR country, not tip and save $$ flying to the great USA.
Happy sailing tippers,
Sea Angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:46 AM
First Mate

LLOYD..the name of your ship,sailing date and cabin number PLEASE..
Since you want to us to know how cheap you are, I thought I might e-mail the crew and let them know you are coming.

Post Edited (10-05-04 07:48)
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Tipping?? we dont bother

Mike M - I also worry that the automatic tipping may not reach the recipients in the full amount. I'm sure the ships will charge some "administration fee" or something like that. This February I will be going on HAL for the first time since the new tipping policy has come into force and I can't decide whether to tip directly or through the line. I would be interested to know how the HAL employees feel about this and which method they prefer. I myself prefer tipping the room steward and dining room staff directly and with a personal note of thanks attached. There are some people who truly work hard to make your cruise enjoyable and they should be rewarded for it. I suppose you can always ask the employee directly how they want to be tipped. Also, will the sevice suffer if the employees know they are getting a tip whether they work hard or not?
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Passenger

LLoyd are you still here or hideing
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:18 AM
First Mate

Love it Texas!! I'd also like to know so I won't run into him!
Happy sailing,
sea angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:20 AM
STRAYCAT

What goes around comes around....nuff said.
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Captain

It looks from Lloyd's post that he lives other than in the US, and this raises an interesting problem. Here in the US, we are all very much in the know about the custom of tipping. So it is easy, in fact natural, for us to carry it over into cruising. Problem is, tipping is not the custom in all parts of the world. Many land resorts and a few cruise lines that have a lot of international guests include tips in their rates and fares. Even though I'm from right in the middle of the US, know about tipping, and always do it when customary, I actually prefer the "tips included" approach. It's simple, easy, and everybody pays.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Tipping?? we dont bother

I think Lloyd is a closet poster!

banker

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Tipping customs wherever you live in the world is not a valid excuse to stiff the sevice personnel. It is just another rationalization for being cheap. Every travel guide that I know of covers the subject of tipping etiquette at the destination. When I went to Japan where tipping is not practiced and even considered an insult, I followed custom by not tipping or leaving the difference between the bill and the next higher 100 yen.

Post Edited (10-05-04 11:49)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004