Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Default Deck Joggers

Happen to just want a stroll after breakfast round the top deck, beware.

Dont ignore the thin painted line round the top deck, its their space and they are a real hazard doing their thing, especially when you are seen as being in their space (the thin line).

They get so pis*ed off if you do not hear the thump of size 15 feet coming up at your back and get in their way. They may even have to pause their fancy wrist stop watch for that lap..

The polite ones mutter and get on wth it, the others I could throw over the side along with their sweat bands and attitude.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Deck Joggers

Hi Dave,
I learned the hard way too about those lines....they are there for a reason, but sometimes I too just like to walk, so walkers beware!!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Why would you bother jogging on a vacation - sounds like work to me and I hate work. I figure we put on so many miles getting from the buffet to the dining room and back to the cabin for a nap - we had it covered. TTFN Jennifer
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
AshleyP

My husband usually jogs for a few days at sea, but that is because he is a Soldier and must stay in shape. Apparently runners can get out of shape quickly if they don't keep up a rountine?? However, he is always polite and sticks to the places he is supposed to jog! I will have to keep an eye on him from my lounger in the sun to make sure he is nice to those of us who only like to stroll!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Nice one Ashley, I dont have a real problem with joggers, but as Donna points out most "newbies" dont know what these lines are for.

It was both a warning to them and a kick up the butt for those ones who are not so polite and understanding, and to be honest they are a real pain and can take the edge of my day through their attitude and potential confrontation.

Dont get me wrong. I love excercise. I could stand at the side of the gym and watch fit women all day !!
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Admiral

David - shame on you - are you a closet Peeping Tom or do you do it out in the open. Oh well - love you anyway Bud! :o) TTFN Jennifer
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Admiral

That running and jogging stuff is dangerous..I have seen people keel over from all that exercise.>G<..the only time you will catch me running is if something is on fire or exploding, In this case..I run just as fast as I need too and only as fast as I HAVE to.>VBG<

Old October 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM
First Mate

BJ, don't you mean "run just as fast as I need to and only as FAR as I have too?"

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Just a thought, what are the implications if you break this rule. Where is it stated in my contract that I cant walk down the middle of it, in a leisurely strolling sort of way after having breakfast,,,,, hey its just another deck after all

David <g>
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Set4...I guess that is what I was trying to say......I had a T-shirt that read.. I am a BOMB tech..if you see me running..try to keep up.

Old October 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

I get a kick of the the people who go running as so as they board the ship (before it even sails)! Try doing that when there are hoards of people up on deck drinking and celebrating getting under way! On vacation, my extent of exercise is taking the stairs, and chasing my liitle guy around.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Yeoman

If I don't exercise consistently on vacation, when would I exercise consistently??? Vacation is the only time I truly have no legitimate excuse!

Old October 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Admiral

You need an excuse not to exercise - e-mail me any good ones please lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old October 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

hey bicker i like your count down clock

Old October 11th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Deck Joggers

Thanks. I've got a better on on my desktop, but it relies on JavaScript so I cannot get it work as a signature. It shows up like this:

3 weeks, 4 days, 10 hours, 41 minutes, 43 seconds.

... and counts down dynamically (43, 42, 41....)

Old October 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to One Cruise Stand

We were at dinner one night with a jogger running over our heads while we ate. I found it very distracting. I know he ran fifteen laps at least because we heard and felt him from appetizer to desert.

R
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Better over my dining room than over my bed! Some ships' promenades (Carnival Destiny, Glory and their sister ships, for example) don't wrap around; that means no joggers, so cabins underneath are rarely disturbed. Most ships with wraparound promenades wisely put nothing but public rooms beneath. Gotta check those deck plans, though-- if you prefer to sleep in, make sure your cabin won't be right below a joggers' highway.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Beginner

I'm a runner and though I haven't run on a ship yet, I do tend to get angry with people that distract me while running. Generally these are people in SUV's the size of Texas. However, when your running on a fixed track it can be both annoying and dangerous when people interrupt you. I can sympathise with not knowing the rules of the road. However when your three, maybe four miles into a hard run several things happen to you, or at least me.
One, I don't always like running but I realize the importance of it for my health and potential future job (Marine officer applicant).
Second, during a really hard run I tend to go into a sort of tunnel vision where I'm not really thinking about anything other than beating my best time.
Third, most runners are usually running on roads arround ignorant drivers. We tend to get a little jumpy about things darting in front of us. Because these things are generally three thousand pounds and piloted by people on cell phones drinking frappuchinos.
All of these things add togethor to make a somewhat irratable athelete. I can attest that I've been one of them. However, I am trying to be more compassionate.

Now for the part of working out while cruising. I can't see a better time to work out. You have long streches of time that you generally don't have at home. You're certainly eating more than you generally do. (I generally try to do some sort of semi-hard cardio before I eat bad meals. Most of the literature I've encountered says that it raises your metabolism for three hours after the workout, a perfect time to indulge.) Furthermore, if you're not concerned with your best time. Running can be very relaxing.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Beginner

I was just trying to show a counterpoint Hugh. I haven't run into you yet. Also, I don't really get your joke. Is it some sort of reference to being thrown overboard? Oh well, A for effort, F for effect.
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Passenger

I too am a runner, and practice on vacation. I do try to stay out of peoples' ways. I don't see anything wrong w/ me running as long as I stay on the line and am polite.
Kerry M.
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:37 PM
patrick brennan

When I'm on vacation I AM ON VACATION!! I saved long and hard to get there and one of the reasons I'm on a ship is toget away from runners, bikers, joggers, etc. You want to run, vacation at the gym.
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Yeoman

I was watching one of the "welcome to the ship" videos aboard Majesty of the Seas, and the cruise director said something very interesting -- something like: "Please remember that everyone is on-board to enjoy themselves, so please respect each other's right to do so." I believe it was specifically in regards to the policy against saving of deck chairs (which, incidently, was not an issue on our cruise), but it surely applies broadly. I respect the right of folks to enjoy the cruise with their children, even though having to watch a mother utterly oppress her daughter at breakfast made me almost vomit. I was there to relax, and do things, and didn't begrudge the fact that a few hundred of the passengers were there for a "Bodylicious" ("keep the HOT in your 'loveships' and 'relationships'") cruise.

Old November 9th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Passenger

I am a runner as well, I have and will run onboard my cruise(s). I enjoy running and it is very relaxing to me. I am not sure why people would feel the need to stop or slowly stroll on the exercise deck, just as I would not choose to run on the leisure deck such as near the pool. The ship has set aside certain areas for certain activities, and as people from all walks of life, we should appreciate and respect others. And, it is not my fault that they may have put the running deck above cabins or dining rooms. If they were to designate times to not use the track, I would certainly respect the posted restrictions.
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Yeoman

We saw a lot of folks running on the promenade deck before 10am. (It is prohibited to do so from 10am - 10pm.) On Majesty of the Seas, at least, there is no dedicated jogging/running track -- it is all shared-use.

Old November 10th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

This quote doesn't apply to me personally, I just like it:

"Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away." --Robert Benchley

In the 1920's and '30's, the humorist had a hotel room that he used as an office/writing refuge at the Algonquin Hotel (home of the famed "Algonquin Round Table" of fellow wits and writers in the lobby lounge.) The room's furnishings included a long blue couch which he referred to as "the track". When Benchley, who never exercised, grew weary of frequent interruptions by admiring visitors, and felt like a nap, he would say, "Well, I think I'd better take a few laps arond the track."
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM
ChrisWendy

Yes I Run also while on MY vacation - on the Princess Regal, they have a smaller track and a larger track that includes the smaller. Large = walkers & small = runners. But more important - timeframes which I honored, and direction > Runners Counter-clockwise, and walkers clockwise. it was great. Now, I will say there was one couple who EVERY SINGLE RUNNER had to move to the outside where most walkers walked. in order to pass them, I stopped and "suggested" they move to the outside to make it a little easier for the many runners out at that time. I was told they perfer the inside track..... oh well. . . . . I went around them next lap with a smile because I was on MY vacation!

Happy cruising
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Angel

I don't run but I do walk briskly at least 3 miles each day of vacation. I respect the runners' right to exercise and remain healthy as I hope they will respect my slower pace in my designated area. The tracks are marked off for walking AND running so walking pax should not be incensed that some want to run. Exercise assures a longer life and more cruises; could it be more perfect?!!!