Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:59 PM
CeeCee

Default Alright! Enough already!!

Hey gripers, hope you can help me out with this "gripe". I walked off the cruise ship at 10 a.m. on Monday and I'm **still** feeling the movement of the ship on Wednesday afternoon. I'm trying to click back into reality but it's darned difficult when my body still thinks it's cruising. My head is spinning. How long does this feeling last??? I attempted to go grocery shopping yesterday but aside from walking around like a drunk, I simply felt dazed. Please tell me this will end soon.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alright! Enough already!!

Were the ships stabilizers broken? or maybe you still are drunk <g>

Never experienced that feeling of sea to land difference, apart from the downer of being back on land, work next day and reality looming
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

The best cure is to get back on the ship.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Did you feel that way when you got off the ship for shore excursions?
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
CeeCee

Actually it was smoothe sailing with just an ever so gentle sway -- the same exact sway I'm still feeling. I never once felt sea sick while on the ship. Interestingly, no, I never did feel this way when on shore excursions. This feeling set in about an hour after I left the ship. Dave the Wave, I like your cure! I just read a review by another person from the same cruise who is feeling the same way I am. Weird -- we had relatively calm waters - or so it seemed.
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:07 PM
RonWalg

Out of curiosity did you wear the transderm scop patch on the cruise? If so you could be expeiencing a withdrawal syndrom as your body weans itself from the effects of the patch. If not atribute it to getting your "land legs back". I agree the best cure is to take another cruise right away. Maybe you can get yor physician to prescribe it, then you can pressure your insurance company to pay for it as a medical necessity.
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Admiral

I agree with Ron - it's a whole new syndrome and I want that prescription - take one cruise and call me in a week - works for me lol. I suffered for about four days after i got home - patch fever. TTFN Jennifer
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

This is a real malady and is called land sickness. Even if your waters were smooth, you still had some motion. Your body (especially your inner ear) had adjusted to that (called getting your sea legs.) What you need to do is take a bonine or dramamine on land now! This happened to me once out of 10 cruises and lasted about 3 days. Treat it just as you would if you were seasick.

Old October 7th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I love that feeling!!!! I just close my eyes and imagine I am back on the ship. For me it usually goes away after 2 days.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 7th, 2004, 09:03 AM
CeeCee

I packed the Bonine but never once took one because, as I said, I never felt seasick. Lisa, thanks for suggesting that I take a Bonine now on land. I'll try that. Another cruise does sound like the best cure but I'm not sure everyone in my life would see the value of that cure:-)
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
First Mate

you might try drinking....of course I suggest that for everything

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM
AshleyP

Not to worry you, but on their last cruise, my mom felt this way once they were home. It lasted for almost 6 weeks! She went to the doctor twice and they also recommended she take Bonine, but that did not clear it up. They cruise often and this was the first time that happened to her.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Admiral

I like Pebbs idea - been off the "boat" for almost 8 months now and am dying to get that feeling back - pouring a Bailey's just to see if it helps - heavy sigh!!! TTFN Jennifer
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Captain

Even the best stabilized ships have movement. One's body and mind (and inner ear) adusts to it. Then, when you return home to land, your house seems to be moving! It never happened to me in the ports either, but it is always with me for a few days after I return home. Drinking has nothing to do with it. Sailors say "you've got your sea legs." Now, you've got to regain your "land legs." It will just take a few days, but then again, you could always take another cruise!

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
CeeCee

Well, Jennifer, I have a wonderful bottle of almond flavored tequila sitting here that I brought back from Puerto Vallarta. I'm dying to crack it open but since I already have that woozy feeling, I figure why waste it. Still patiently waiting for those land legs to arrive...
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Cruisingrandma

I had that on my last cruise. The Dr suggested I use the bonine while on land. it worked great. funny how i dont get sea sick but need it on land at home. Oh well it worked...
Old October 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I have only been on one cruise so far. It happened to me and I loved the feeling..I would be walking down the street and all of a sudden it would hit..I stopped and would tell my wife..Hold on..we are shifting again. Lasted about 3 days.

Old October 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I usually get it the next couple of mornings standing in front of the sink brushing my teeth. Goes away in a day or two!

banker
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Its called "Wishing I was there" syndrome, its your heart telling your feet, brain and wallet to get back on board.

As that is what life should be like as far as your heart is concerned, the rest of the body parts dont undertand it and the brain gives conflicting impulses
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Admiral

I, too have had this "adjust to land" problem. I've never been seasick (hope I'm not tempting fate!). I'd like to know why I feel more movement in the restrooms on the ship(and the bathroom when I get home!) I'm sure it has something to do with hard vs.soft surfaces, but why?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Dont know if I want to go here, but what kind of "movement" are we talking about here in restrooms Fern or do you have an airbed at home as a lav seat?
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Yep. Had it too! Actually, I CAN get NORMAL Seasick too! What works for me is the little Sea-Bands they sell in pharmacy stores like Walgreens for $10. Its an elastic band around your wrist w/a little hard plastic knob that presses into your medial nerve. Had 15 ft sea N of Haiti in May on the Caribbean Princess, and never felt it. Until as an experiment I took them off....WOW.....and put them right back on. They worked on land too, for my brother's airsickness problems. Try 'em!
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Admiral

David B,
! Not THAT kind of movement! The "swaying" kind of movement!
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
First Mate

For me, the feeling lasted for about one week. Weird that it doesn't hit during a shore excursion. When we got off the ship we were fine for the two hour ride home. then about an hour after that, we were in a store and it hit both of us at the same time! It was weird! then, it was off and on for about a week.
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Out of 10+ cruises I had it happen to me only once. I am a nurse and imagine walking down the hall with a med cup full of meds for a patient in one hand and a glass of water in the other and all of the sudden leaning into the wall or stumbling......and having the Director of Nursing witness it?? She knew I had been on a cruise and I had stated the day before that I was feeling woozy at times...but was I embarassed! That is when I started taking the bonine on land at the recommendation of the facility's medical director....it took another day, but it did work.

Old October 14th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

4 days. You'll be back to normal soon.
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Alright! Enough already!!

Funny, that is when I most notice it too! Standing in the bathroom brshing my teeth. I thinnk it ahs to do with bending down, and the inner ear still hasn't recovered. I like the feeling, it reminds me of the great time I had. I just got back a week ago and I'm ready to go again.....
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:48 AM
Familiar Face

The last cruise I took I was "feeling" the ship for almost 3 weeks after I got home!