Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Glenda Madrid

Default Re: Re: Deck chairs and how to get one?

I think we have to be realistic here. If there was a chair I desired and someone's belongings were on it, I would sit elsewhere and watch for perhaps 30 minutes. If no one came back to claim the chair, I would pick up the book/glasses/whatever, place them nearby, and claim the chair. I have no problem moving personal stuff - the person who left these things was rude by assuming it would protect this chair indefinitely.

I have heard of people coming to the pool before breakfast, leaving a book and towel on a chair, and returning from a leisurely breakfast to claim their chairs. In my opinion, that is inconsiderate and wrong.
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Deck chairs and how to get one?

Frankly.. If someone is in a lounger by the pool, and leaves their things, while they go for breakfast or lunch for a half hour or so, I don't see anything wrong with that.

If they are going to their cabin for a nap, or gone for an hour +, it wouldnt be cool.

Unfortunately its we passengers who once again aren't willing to act reasonably unless rules are forced upon us and enforced.... who are creating the problem.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Looks like we are going the Spanish Costa Del "whatever" hotel way on ship. If that is the case then here is what to expect:-

The Germans get up at 4am and place towels on the best beach chairs and beds around the pool, go back to bed.

The Brits stagger in from the bars at 4:30 and throw the German towels in the pool, go to bed.

The Germans get back up at 7:30, have breakfast, go to the pool retreive their wet towel, toss the Brits stuff off the chairs. The loop goes on........ wars have been caused by less !!!
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Captain

I once witnessed a "lady" dragging a deck chair down the hall,
into the elevator, and up to the pool deck. She had gone out in the
middle of the night, grabbed a chair, took it to her cabin, and
the next morning around 10 AM, she had a deck chair all to herself.
If I were to try this, security would have me locked up till home port.

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old November 13th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Admiral

David - we Canadians would just look at the towels on the chairs and the ones floating in the pool - decide not to interfere and just go back to bed for the rest of the cruise - :o)
TTFN Jennifer
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise I heard of a fight that broke out over the saving of a chair that had to be broken up by the captain. jeeze, these people need to get a life. There are better things in life to do than saving a chair. How about just enjoying the fact that you have the funds to enjoy one of the best things in life, cruising. Enough said.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old November 24th, 2004, 07:57 PM
big apple

Heard on another site.Ask them if they paid rent for the chair.
Old November 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Read that too Big Apple, it was on Hairdressers and Barber Mates
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
ELko

This is a real issue for sure...We are early risers so I was poolside by 8:30 am with no trouble and family came by 9am..I sometimes felt guitly having 4 chairs all day when the kids spend so much time in the pool. But then they would come out and we would use all 4 chairs for awhile. With this new movie under the stars deal I did get mad one night when two teens were reserving 2 seats for their folks. The movie was starting and they were not there so I got into it with them for a bit buy found a single chair and the wife and I like to cuddle anyway. It always in the patter not to reserve seats on movie nights. The same thing happens for the shows. One show we just sat right down 5 min before showtime in the 4th row to the chagrin of the girl who was saving at least 6 other seats. By the way most of the shows were weak IMHO. I wasn't to impressed with the comedian or magician. The juggler was ok but not a whole show does one make.
I guess if I was a very good entertainer I wouldn't want to work on a ship.
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
quitecontrary

Oh, it is all about alpha dog....if you are brave enough to save that chair, then be prepared to save that chair...I am 5'9" won't reveal my weight, but...I can leg press 800 pounds..can't bench press that much, however, the riff raff doesn't bother me much, I don't feel too threatened by the litlle old people (or teens for that matter) saving chairs, I do expect to be treated in a civilized manner, and I will wait till I am on my cruise to decide who can have the "saved" chair. My hurmor wins 99% of the time...I try only to put my energy in the excitement of waiting to be on the cruise, not how I will get my chair!!! The thing is, a primo chair has never been my thing, just a chair, somewhere, in the sunshine...go ahead, take what you think you need...but if you interrupt my sunshine...relaxation...be prepared for the alpha dog stand off!!!!
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have been on a cruise where you had an assigned pool chair. It was assigned to you the first day of the cruise. Your name was taped on to the chair and it was set up in the same spot every day and put away again at night. You had to go and tell the deck steward what your preferences are and they would arrange everything for you. Never once did I arrive at my chair to find someone in it. The deck steward made sure we had towels and attended any other need. They would come around and offer tea, coffee, iced tea or lemonade. I have never seen this service on any other line than Home Lines.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Reen

In my early cruising days, I like the idea of having my own chair assinged to me. It was always there. Today if I take the trouble to save a chair and my items left on the chair and go for a swim etc. I expect my stuff to be there when I return. If I get there early enough to save a chair, its mine, not yours. We go to shows early to get a good seat. I see nothing wrong saving seats. If you get to the show late, I will not move down. You can climb over me. Why should I have to give up my seat, when I arrived to sit where I want to I go on cruises with family or friends. We want to sit together.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I don't think there is much of an issue (in my mind) with saving your own chair. After all, you were THERE to claim it in the first place. This only becomes controversial (like panties) when one individual saves another or a row of chairs for friends and family members. If they were all there to claim their chairs, then they would have a legitimate claim to using that chair for however long they want to.

Again, this is just in my mind, and many strange things have been known to happen in my mind........

banker

Old January 6th, 2005, 12:45 AM
gogetter

Hello,

Wow i know it has been a while.....

To answer pgs questions.......

Carnival...Fanatsy, both the 3 and 4 night cruise.(several times)..Ecstasy.....3 nighter...Imagination 5 nighter...Pride 7 nighter Eastern....

RCCL Soverign...3 nighter....

Big Red Boat 2 times....3 nighter and 5 nighter.....

As far as going down one deck to retireve another chair, i should have explained better...I went down one deck and got a regular chair from the restaurant area. That was in addition to, in reality more than 2 deck chairs.....See usually i get a deck chair for me and my wife, Then i get 2 for towels and such...which kinda saves them for anyone i deem cool enough to be near me....then i get the regular chair because i like to sit in it.

Hope that explains it...sorry for the lapse in time.....
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Admiral

"which kinda saves them for anyone i deem cool enough to be near me"

- attitude

I like that!

banker

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:05 AM
gogetter

Hello,

You have to control the situation........thanks for liking the attitude....lol.....
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
SeaGhost

The area around the pool can get so loud and crowded its sometimes not even worth fighting over the chairs. On the Serenade the Solarium pool was also pretty packed. I remember taking a swim and watching a couple eyeing up my stuff to move. I found a quiet spot on top of the bridge on the serenade to relax with my girlfriend and our friends from the dining room which was much better.
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Much Ado About Nothing eh?

Well....if Shakespeare was Canadian he would've added "eh" to the title!

banker

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

chair hogs, the worst. we just got back from the vision of the seas and in the solarium people would hog those lovely cushy chairs all day, plus, what is up with the kiddies in the adult only area? I guess that some people think that that can't possibly mean their child.
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Gary D.

I agree,, half an hour should be enough time to run any errand on a ship.., when it comes to deck charis.. The funny thing about many of these gripes is that it is hard for me to relate to most.. When i cruise, it is usully with a group of 5 to 15, so there is always someone to pass on info to (dining room, whether i will be there or not, or late..i just have them order for. me. ), or save a deck chair, seat in the theatre ( but not an entire row) ect.....
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

I too agree that if the person is not even in the pool area for more than 30 minutes they shouldn't keep the chair saved.

Just a thought.... if having a chair in the pool area is really THAT big of an issue for you ( which I can see if hangin' by the pool is your favorite part of the cruise), then forgo the carryon and take bring your own chair with you !! You won't have to worry at all. Hey if you spend enough time by the pool you could forgo all luggage and just wear your suit and carry your chair on board.......hmmmmmm wonder if anyone ever did that?

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
First Mate

There was a guy on the cruise I went on this month that looked like he was a homeless person and he wore the exact same outfit everyday of the cruise. So, if he did that, and yes everyone noticed, it was hard not to, I imagine that there are those that soend their entire cruise next to the pool and their bathing suits.

Old January 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

My Father always said, "It takes all kinds to make up a world." !

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Beer can buy me out of my chair. I will be on the Victory saving a seat. lol

Old January 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Luggage might have been lost never know
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM
First Mate

Smitty, it may have been lost but I doubt it. There were many idicators in his actions that would suggest otherwise.

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Admiral

tamie, how could you tell he was homeless, did he bring a shopping cart with his total net worth in it? Did he have a squee gee?

You heard on the news about the lady who has a 350K house in St. Cath and drives a volvo downtown and panhandles everyday.....

We did see a couple on a hawaii cruise and their luggage hadn't arrived after 5 port days on the islands, after that was 6 days at sea to Mexico, she got her luggage and he didn't so he walked around in 2 pairs of shorts and a golf and a T shirt the line gave him as a courtesy.

Always cross pack (that's cross pack Jenn, not cross dress)!

banker
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Captain

Seriously, folks, there is really no solution to the deck chair problem unless and ultil all realize it is just a part of the fact that the "mass market" lines have crammed too many guests on their ship for the pool areas to accomodate them. It is all part of the fact that you have booked a cruise based on the the lowest fare, without regard to the "nickel and diming", tips, crowds, lines, and scarcity of pool chairs. People, it is not your fault for not arriving at some etiquite here. It is the fault of those cruise lines for putting you in an impossible situation. To aviod this problem, look at the deck plans on the cruise lines' web sites. You will see that the NCL Dream (which in other respects is one lousy ship) has two pool areas for its 1700+ guests. So does the RCI Grandeur, and it is not lousy. Avoid those 3K guest ships with only one pool area, for sure. For best results, book with one of the "higher end" lines, because they accomodate fewer folks onboard vis. the ship size, which will virtually guarantee you a chair at the pool.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Banker,

When I responded to Smitty, I was responding about the likelihood of the mans luggage being lost. He arrived on the ship in dirty clothes that looked and smelled like he had been doing some dumpster diving at the very least. He spent his time harrassing the single women on the ship. It was more than obvious that he did not bathe the entire time he was on the ship. He was removed from the ship in Jamaica after several complaints about his actions on the ship.

So you are right. I don't know if it was a case of someone who had lost their luggage or not. I said I felt it was doubtful as there were several indicators that suggested otherwise. Most people that have lost their luggage would at least bathe or shower. Most would not show up on the ship wearing clothing that smelled repulsing to those around them and looked as though they had never once been washed in the past several months. Most people who had lost their luggage would not then decide to harrass the single women on the ship to the point that the ships staff felt the need to remove them from the ship.

Yes, I do know about the woman that did the Panhandling dowtown. I have in the past encountered her while downtown. She worked the same street corner and did not move around. Yes, you are right she did dress the part, and yes she did live in a $350,000 home. However, she did not harrass people, she did wash her clothes and she did not smell like she had not had a bath in weeks. If you payed attention to the pictures of her on the television, he clothes were worn but not exactly dirty. BTW, did you ever hear the entire story about why she was panhandling?

Old January 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

No I just saw the brief article in the Globe (I never pay attention)

"dumpster diving"-

The scary part is, you've gotta wonder how someone who is "homeless" or "down and out" makes it on to a ship in the first place! I've seen some pretty "hurtin" people on vacations (me - on the some days) but never to the extent that you described. Interesting though that if someone lives like that, the probably don't have a lot of money. But some do have money and just choose to live in a miserly way, but then if they have the money to go on vacation, how much more difficult is it to bathe or launder your clothes? Hmm
And out of sheer curiosity, how was he harassing the single women, did he say "hey baby, I look worse than I smell!" or the other way around? Or maybe, "hey babe, how about we go back to my cabin and you do my laundry" or maybe the honest approach "Hey, I know I look bad, but I clean up real good...honest" -

banker