Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Default Deck chairs and how to get one?

I've read about deck chair hogs but does anyone out there have any tips on getting a deck chair and keeping one without upsetting others?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Deck chairs and how to get one?

There is only one way to keep a chair without upsetting anyone.
Sit on it.
Yes you can go to the bathroom, even run to the buffet and bring a plate back with you to munch on, but if you leave your chair for more than 45 minutes to an hour, then trust me, someone is looking at it sitting there with just a towel or cheap novel on it and thinking "argh, deck chair hogs, d*mm them" .

The only way that I saw to get a "prime " deck chair( one by the pool and bar ) was to be out on deck way too early!!!
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM
SeaGhost

If you ask someone working in the pool area to clear a seat thats been empty for a long time will they do it?
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeoman

if its been a long time i generally clear it myself--if its a towel i just put it in the dirty towel bin and if there are some personal belongings like a book i put it as close to the dirty towel bin as i can ----- if the person comes back while i am sitting in the chair i tell them that the chair was cleared by pool personell because it wasnt being used

Old October 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Unless you are a pool hogger, never seen deck chairs as a problem on decent lines.

There are usually more than enough to go round. And be honest who would want to be in that pool scrum, dont get it. There are nicer and quieter areas on ship with chairs to relax and cruise in
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Yeoman

DavidB
Sorry to disagree, On the Golden last April we had a hell of a time just to find two empty chairs together. On the aft deck area my husbandf had to CARRY one up a level of stairs to where I had managed to find ONE empty chair. We were not on the pool level. We were in the aft, facing the " adult only pool" but not on the same level as it. We seemed to have no luck at finding two chairs together unless we were out on the decks by 11am. Of coruse thses are " sea days" I am refering to, if one does not get off the shiop at ports then I suppose they would have better luck.
I saw entire rows of chairs saved by 8:30 in the morning, we had a cabin on the Lido deck, so we walked right through the pool area on the way to breakfast ( Horizon Court) every morning, and all we saw was towels, Harlequin romances and 3$ flip flops left on chairs. It was very tempting to just grab all the junk and huck it in the pool!

Chairs hogs are real, they exist in there own sub universe where they are kings and queens unto themslves!!!!
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:23 AM
svalso

This is too funny. Chair hogs do exist! Just last week while on a cruise this older lady was saving @15 chairs right in front of the stage and jumped all over this other lady's case b/c she came up and was going to get two of them. For the next few hours she was ranting and raving about can't you see that those chairs were saved and complaing about it to whoever she was saving them for when they finally arrived. Good grief, get a life, let the rest of your crew come out w/ you to get their chairs.
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the insight.
The nerve of that lady trying to save 15 seats. I would be so uncomfortable doing something like that. I hate to deal with people like that too.
David B. are you saying the pools are scummy?
Pg, won't the deck assistants help with bringing chairs to you?
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Admiral

No, just that the noise, children and people packed like sardines around this little area is not my scene. The adult only Solarium area on RCCL is my scene. Its just a choice thing mybigwhirl.

PG sorry pal, but I can only quote from now over twenty cruises with RCCL, Celeb, Cunard and Princess, and I have never seen this scenario.
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Passenger

When I go to the pool deck and cant find a chair, I simply toss the persons towel aside and jump right in. An hour or two later when that person comes to claim their chair I simply say it was empty when I found it.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:25 AM
pg

David, I do not make things up. I have only been on 4 cruises, and this only happened once on my last cruise( April on the Golden) . Your post rather implies that it could not have happened since it did not happen to you. Sorry, it did happen, I am not a liar.

My bigwhirl , I am sure a deck assistant would help someone if they asked. My husband is 6'4'and reasonalbly fit, so obviously it was not beyond his abilities to lift and carry a lounge, we felt no need to search out an assistant. It's just the way we are. I would agree if one was not easily capable of doing such a task( like personally I would not have done it myself) then one should certainly seek assistance.
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Passenger

pg, I understand that a strapp'n 6'4" man doesn't need help. I'm a lady and I need help. I just don't want to hurt myself lugging something so akward like lounge chairs and luggage. lol.

Buff great tatic.

DavidB, out of all the lines you have cruised besides Cunard which do you like the best? QE2 I know about and it's the best IMO. Haven't sailed the others, trying Princess in April.
Old October 15th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Guys

First to my friend pg, sorry I never meant my post to read or imply that you were a liar. I can believe it happens,,, all I was saying is that personally I've never experienced it. So I really could not give an opinion one way or the other,,,not like me<g>

But yes, I believe it can and will happen

Mybigwhirl, I put Celeb and Princess on a par. There are things I like more about one, but in some things one has an advantage over the other,,but that is just personal choice.

To be honest we now cruise on two principles, the line and the itinerary they present. Unless you just want a break for 7 days, we may take a year out to save that extra money to get the line we want, duration of cruise and the itinerary.

Being on ship always gives me that buzz, but after a while you can only do the islands in the Carib so many times.

Dilemma, do I go for two 7 or 10 day cruises over the year just to be on ship or take that year out to save my cash for a 28 day Far East or Australia special

A terrible dilemma

Post Edited (10-15-04 14:59)
Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:32 AM
gogetter

Hello,

Like davidB, i have never seen all deck chairs saved or even close.

i do not know what time people arrive to the pool area and see all chairs taken or saved but after 10 cruises it has not happened to me either. We get to the pool by 9 and have always gotten 2 chairs. I too have gone down a deck and gotten a chair and broght it up. The crewperson who was cleaning looked at me and said you can't take that chair. I stared at him and kept going. Nothing ever was done........and i am not 6'4".

Have a nice day!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
pg

Gogetter which cruise line do you cruise?
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:07 PM
pg

Gogetter why did you have to go down and bring up a chair? You said there were always two chairs together for you.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
First Mate

My hubby and I are early risers and love to be pool side. Our son (age 7) is an avid swimmer, so we want to keep an eye on him and play with him in the pool.(I know..........shock and disbelief, that parents WANT to keep an eye on their kid) We normaly have coffee, pastries and fruit in our suite and head up to the pool around 8 am. Plenty of chairs at that time. One or two of us grab a real breakfast (after all....it is vacation. 3 meals a day is NOT gonna happen on a cruise for us) and bring it to our lounge chairs and switch. It really is easy and peaceful that time of day......... as long as your not late sleepers.
Happy sails.....Sea Angel
21st Princess cruise comin' up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CAN"T WAIT

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
rick&reen

We were on the Dawn last week. There were always chairs available. I would hever remove personal belongings from a chair. That is not anyone's right to do so. If that was done to me, that person would have a glass of ice water poured on them.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:05 AM
SeaGhost

Its also not anyones "right" to take up open seating space for long periods of time when they are not even there sitting in them! And if ice water were thrown at me I would come back with a glass of something 10 times worse... kiddy pool water!
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Yeoman

Agree with Seaghost, saving chairs for hours on end by leaving stuff on them is NOT one of your rights. It is wrong, rude and selfish.
Most of the stuff left on chairs is disposable, anyone dumb enough to leave a camera there? Nope, just flip flops and dime store novels.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

ps. Rick and reen, why do you think that attacking someone is acceptable? If my child did that I would punish them. Might does not make right, it makes rude bullying. I am tired of seeing or hearing about some peoples way of handling conflict , that throwing something at someone is ok?
Just so you know you can be charged with assault for " pouring a glass of ice water " on a person. No kidding.
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Lighten up Pg.

sea angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Rick&reen

If I take a rest room break or go to the buffet or take a swim. I expect my stuff, however cheap it is to be there when I return. If chairs are empty, like I have seen for my last 5 cruises, there is no reason to remove someone's things from a chair anyway. Yeah, pg, lighten up!
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Admiral

PG,,,,just when I thought I was out. You had to drag me back in.........

Post Edited (11-06-04 02:08)
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:29 AM
First Mate

super glue plastic doogy poop to a chair..it will be yours for the week
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Thats good advice Texasmunk, God I'm glad I have not met you so far but maybe thats because you have been in the teen club and not with adults...Duhh
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I personally like the doggy poop idea. But how about using plastic vomit - that might clear a whole row of seats :o) TTFN Jennifer
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Those chairs belong to the population onboard and the population onboard have differing views of what is rightful temporary proprietorship.

The cruiselines need to settle this.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM
rick&reen

Or a idea might be you pay for your chair and have it all week. I done this on the Oceanic when I first started cruising. No one usied it and no problems. I don't think its fair to touch personal things of others and use the chair when they are gone a short time.
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Yeoman

Rick and reen, obviously we are NOT talking about persons who put stuff on their chair and go for a dip in the pool or to grab a bite and bring it back . We are talking about rude persons who save chairs for an hour or more.