Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hurricane Comps

Dorothy I agree in principle, and like you I do my homework. But you have to admit that the "season" appears to becoming more unpredicable, longer and even more severe.

All due to "whatever"

So the risk or gamble stays firmly with the passenger, due to climate conditions the known window is moving.

You could plan and book months ahead knowing the expected conditions for certain weeks and areas, but that gap of when to book and when not, is changing.

Unless everyone want to go High season, and that will not work as prices will really go through the roof.

Cruise lines like any business work on an annual income. They cruise 365, so the price you pay for your late booked mid or high cruise will be dependant on how they as a company did in low season bookings (unless you pay brochure price).

So the people taking this risk are really contributing to the discount level you will receive at other times of year in "deals". So dont knock it, if people stop doing it, your "deal" price will increase to get that missed revenue back.. So who gets hit either by the storm or the price later,,,,the people

Post Edited (10-19-04 16:40)
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:37 PM
AshleyP

Hurricane season has always been from June to November. Some years are filled with many severe named storms, and some years are not. Unfortunately, this year proved to be a "bad" year, and many people were affected. However, I do not think it is fair for people to book during hurricane season, and then gripe when their itinerary is changed due to a *gasp* hurricane! Be an informed traveler!!

Have you ever noticed that you do not see the people who live on the coast whining about how a hurricane hit their city?? They know the risk of living there and choose to be resigned to possible consequences . . . then they work through the difficulties if the worst comes to be!
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Hurricane Comps

I have been to Jamaica... I'll tell you it was one of the best and most fun trips I have ever taken! Mine was a land trip and we were there for 9 days.. I went shopping among the locals ect.. Anyone who says their are afraid must not see many minority people in their life... There is nothing to be scared of, the people are nice and inviting.. Sure you get approached to by a little "ganja" but you just say no... Oh heck take a puff
The people are overly friendly and talk freely and try to sell you their hand made goods... Instead of being scared, make it your bargaining opportunity to get some fantastic items you'll never see again for a great price!
I honestly can't wait to go back to Jamaica.. I have traveled all over the world US/Europe and Jamaica is on my top 3 favorite places!
Also.. I think you should be compensated too... I took a Raddison 7 seas cruise to Bermuda and it ended up in Canada and New England.. They gave everyone an extra 100 per person for spa services ect and then they gave you a $500 credit per person for a future trip...
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I don't think the window is moving, David, but I *do* think this has been a bizarre year! If new cruisers sailed this year basing their month of choice on previous years, even if in a non-investigative way by listening to other "hurricane season" cruisers, then they could easily surmise that there wasn't a lot of risk.

Boy did this season surprise a lot of us! Let's just hope this year isn't indicative of years to come.....enough already!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I took my first cruise 7 years ago - For our 25th. anniversary, in February.
Did not go to the Caymans because of waves over the dock. Instead Carnival stayed in Playa Del Carmen, had a wonderful time anyway.

Looks like we wont make the Caymans this time either, but I can promise you we
will have a great time regardless.

Stuff Happens - And yes it does rain in Tiger Stadium on Saturday Nights when
LSU has a home game. - Make do - where a rain coat. When life gives you lemons,
make lemonade.

Just think of all the people that can't afford a vacation of any sort or the poor people of
Hati. We are so very fortunate.

Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Hurricane Comps

I just watched that movie "the day after tomorrow"

I wonder if people who booked a cruise before the ice age got compensation???

banker
Old October 23rd, 2004, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

banker - !!!!!!

Old October 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM
kj

we were on a cruise 9/6/04 -9/11/04 . Royal Caribbean bahamas.
when hurricane Frances came through, our itinerary changed from Key west, Nassau, Coco Cay, to Cozumel and days at sea only. RC compensated us so well that the few drinks we had , the little bit of onboard souveniers we got, the excursion we took in Miami {when we disembarked},and our gratuities were all PAID , AND, we had $60. coming at the end of the trip.
people complained about missing the bahamas, but,what would there have been to see or do?!
We are huge fans of Princess Cruise Lines, but Royal Caribbean will be our second choice ,as they earned our respect.
Your letter ,plus the other complaintsI have ALWAYS heard are just another way to Guarantee that we will NEVER USE CARNIVAL!
respectfully, A yearly cruiser,KJ
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:34 PM
libbynan

DavidB..... you should know by now that if you say anything remotely critical of one of the cruise lines ( not just an individual crew member or fellow passengers) on one of these boards you will get jumped on with both feet. I don't necessarily agree with you in this case........ it would, I think, behoove cruise lines in general not to have what appears to be such a "we've got your money so tough toenails " attitude. Brand loyalty is hard to come by and easy to lose after all. Even small gestures like a free drink or a $50 shipboard credit makes a HUGE difference in people's attitudes about such disappointments. From what I have read online most of the cruise lines did a wonderful job handling the dislocations that occured during the actual hurricanes............ and built tremendous loyalties thereby. A little sensitivity now would reap similar rewards. The callous answer, " it's in your contract; you should have read it." will only ensure that you've lost that passenger's business for good...... plus that of cruisers like kj who read about it on the boards.
Old November 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Hey I would so disappointed if one of the cruise line LLA's cruise line people did not jump on my comments. I dont write them for fun but for a reality check to said posters.

I cant change the world, I can only comment.

To the confused person, LLA is Licky Licky,,,the A you can figure out for yourself.

Post Edited (11-06-04 15:11)
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Bummer,

Maybe cruising is not for you....we've cruised for many years and and aware of the fact that the weather cannot be controlled by the cruiselines, no matter how much you would like them to be! We've had our itineraries changed pretty dramatically sometimes with no compensation, and we didn't expect any. The captain kept us safe, the crew worked EXTREMELY hard to arrange for new ports of call and shore excursions, and we understand that things can change by the hour when you are cruising.

Maybe you are better suited for a land-based vacation...

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM
seawench

... but it does rain at Disney World, too.

:-)
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM
First Mate

They won't give your money back, either.