Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:44 AM
TomS

Default Getting back on board 30 minutes/one hour before departure

What takes so long that cruise ships require everyone to be back on board a ship 30 minutes before it is actually scheduled to leave the port? I know it takes some time to secure the gangway and other items, and you don't want people pushing the departure times (after all, it seems like everyone's watch is within +/- 10 minutes of each other), but is 30 minutes necessary?

Also, in tender ports, this is automatically lengthened to an hour. I find this very curious since it usually doesn't take more than ten to fifteen minutes (more in Belize where the hour actually makes sense) to load the tender, get back to the ship, and unload the tender. Also, there seems like there is less that is needed to do since all it seems the ship has to do is secure the hatch, weigh the anchor, and head out. Of course, I could be grossly underestimating what actually happens behind the scenes.

TomS
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:50 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default Re: Getting back on board 30 minutes/one hour before departu

I think 30 minutes is necessary because you always have those people that, even though they know they are supposed to be back by a certain time, still can't make it on time. I've seen people running to ship as they were pulling up the gangway (which is 30 minutes past the time they were told to be back onboard). I've also seen it where so many people have waited until the last minute that there is a line waiting to get on the ship. If they didn't give that 30 minute leeway, people would be left at the pier.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Admiral

TomS............where've ya been?

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Ehh, I would say TomS

1. Make sure all that went off via swipe, came back on and swiped are we missing anyone?

2. If we are why, has there been any emergency calls to the ship or line regarding a passenger ill or potenentially stranded?

3. Has everything including the tenders been stowed properly and are we fit to sail, doors locked, engines and engineering have done their checks, we are fit to sail again since we docked or dropped anchor X hours ago.

4 I could go on, 30 minutes is nothing with a 100,000 ton ship and at least 2,000 guests leaving port
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Getting back on board 30 minutes/one hour before dep

Davy, the proper sound for a "swipe" is a high pitched "boong", "boong"!

banker
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Admiral

We've also seen people having to rent a boat from the port of visitation, rushing to catch up with the ship! You KNOW they made some local VERY happy! No discount there, I'm sure!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I was on Carnival Spirit We were nearly an hour late leaving port in St Maarten. They kept paging one mans name over and over during that time. Later I heard that he did get back to the ship, barely before it left. I heard that his girlfriend was aboard and said he was somewhere drinking and did not want to leave. Gee is having one last drink more important than risking getting left behind??

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 20th, 2004, 06:33 PM
TomS

Thanks for the guidance. I know on my last cruise (Inspiration, 4/11/04), after every port they would page around 20 names about 15 minutes before scheduled departure. It took me a while to figure out these were the people who weren't back on board yet, or at least somehow missed the check-in station.

Thomas, sorry for my ling layoff. I thought I would just take a break. It didn't help having the pop-up add at the beginning, which took forever to load (dialup isn't fun sometimes).

TomS