Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default An observation

This isn't so much a gripe, as it is an observation.

Something that I've noticed over reading various cruise message boards is the type of things people worry about before going on a cruise.

Some examples:

Cabin Numbers: "Is cabin # such & such a good cabin?" I understand wanting to know the general location of a cabin, but a specific cabin number?...what difference does it make? All cabins in a specific category are the same. If you were making reservations at the Holiday Inn (Marriott, Hilton...etc.), would you ask if a specific room number is a good room?

Dinner menus: I've noticed some people want to know specifically what is on the menu and have seen posts asking if anyone has copies of the menus. I understand wanting to know basically what's on a menu, but do they really need to know the exact items on the menu before they even get on the ship?

Activities: Yes, I do understand needing to know what kind of activities there are on a ship. I agree that's important to planning your cruise. But, I've seen people ask for copies of the daily activities (like RCCL's Cruise Compass, etc). Why do they need to know exactly what time each activity takes place, before they cruise?

Those are just some of my observations. I'm not saying they are wrong in asking the questions, as I believe there are no dumb questions and I, personally, am a bit neurotic when it comes to planning a cruise vacation. But there are some things that are better to let them "come as they may". I just think people just get themselves too worried about the little things and "over-plan".

Relax....you will find out all that info once you get on the ship. And you will have a good time! :-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2004, 06:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: An observation

The ones I really like are, "We just booked a cruise. Please tell us everything we need to know to have a good time. Thanks." Their only response, if they even bother to respond, is "Keep 'em coming!" Yeah, I've got time to sit for hours and try to figure out what is going to be important to you.

The only thing worse is someone asking, "What's the best cruise?"
Old November 14th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Over plan - what do you mean overplan? How can you overplan a cruise - lol. I've got a notebook going for our March cruise and I seem to add something to it everyday. I think the planning is half the fun and most of the headache :o). But I don't get the room number thing or the menu thing either. If you book a room and find out it's bad do you stay home? Or if the menu isn't to your liking do you cancel the trip? Don't think so. As long as I'm well fed and have a clean bed I'm good to go. That and a dozen suitcases full of stuff I will never use lol. Ok - so I'm anal - lol. The best cruise is the one I'm going on next. TTFN Jennifer
Old November 14th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Passenger

As for me...I like to see all of the aboved mentions...its just fun to see..{b}almost{/b} as much fun as the cruise!
Old November 14th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Passenger

oops! lol guess my bold didnt work! but you get my excitement!
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

hye dot to have bold use the [ ] not the { }

Old November 15th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Laurie: Good topic! A huge part of planning a cruise is the anticipation - counting days, hours, how many nights left to sleep at home, "in 48 hours I'll be...", etc. BUT, you're right - things need to be kept in perspective.......

In this day and age of too much information, too much stress, too much communication, we need to step back and look at the big picture - "How lucky can I be? I'm going on a cruise! What can possibly go wrong? What if? What if? What if?"

I'll go back to my often-used question when I meet people who are not having a good time on a cruise (mostly due to their spoiledness (if that's a word)), and ask them, "Wait - when you were 15 years old, did you ever imagine you would be doing this right now? Could you even imagine being in such a beautiful place, seeing these elegant things, these wonderful islands and countries? Do you realize the tiny percentage of the world's population who will EVER be able to experience what we are right now?:" That usually shuts them up and they forget about which cabin, what menu, what activities are available and how "such and such a cruise line is going downhill".

Are they crazy????
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Yeoman

We went on our first cruise this Sept. I read menus and anything else I could find. For me it just added to the anticipation & excitement. It didn't matter at all what was on them..it was just plain old curiosity. I saved all the cruise compasses and would gladly share them just for the excitement of seeing what a day on the ship is like. I had also researched everything I could find about the ports we were sailing to. There were 5 of them and I knew exactly what I wanted to see & do in each one.. When we got to the port we were handed a letter stating that our itinerary was changed thanks to hurricane Jeanne. We were now visiting 3 ports and I knew nothing about any of them because they were all different. I was a little startled, but it didn't stop me from getting on the ship. We went & had the time of our lives.
So, for me all the planning and research was totally about adding to the excitement and giving me more and more to look forward to. The more I knew, the more I had to think about andanticipate what it would really be like to be on a cruise. BUT it wouldn't have mattered if there was bread & water on the menu every night or if we ended up with only one port. In the end it's an adventure and fun is what you make of it.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Captain

I do believe that "Is this a good cabin?" is a very valid question. Issues like proximity to stairs, elevators, and noise producers; extent to which view may be obstructed; convenience; physical condition; and vibration issues can be very important. We learned that the hard way when we booked a cabin with a great location, view, and access, but found that this part of the ship vibrated like heck!

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:42 AM
duane

Yeah, I had a great room on the Jubilee two years ago, however when they dropped the stabilizers. Not so great. Would wake up the dead and the drunk. lol
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

As far as the "is this a good cabin" question. You can find the maps of the ships in the RCL book, or online. That will tell you if it's near stairs, near elevators, over the disco, anything you want to know. So that question does bug me a bit. The other one that bugs me is "What night is formal night?" Ok, you're taking your formal clothing, so it's not like it's a surprise you have to dress up. I don't get that one. And lastly, "Who is the CD?" Who cares? Is that gonna make or break your cruise? I just don't get it I guess.
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
First Mate

Rebel.....I too, research and read everything there is to know about the ports, etc. Thats not what I'm saying....what I mean is, sometimes people put to much importance on the little things, like what is on the menu on which night.
As a matter of fact, I saved my Cruise Compasses from my last cruise on Adventure of the Seas. There are in a neat little folder, so when anyone has any questions about the AOS (Aruba route), I can answer them. As a matter of fact, someone wanted to know so much about the cruise compass that I actually make copies of them and mailed them to her.

Babe Ruth...Yes...the cabin location is important, but people can look up that information on RCCL's website. Some people like to be near the elevators, some prefer being as far away from them as possible. So to ask..."is this a good location?" is subjective.

Sherri1....I was going to mention the same thing about the formal night.... Like you said....we know there is a formal night, does it matter which night it is?

I'm with you Sherri1....I just don't get it.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: An observation

Asking all of these questions before hand provides ammunition for more fruitful griping later on!

banker
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Captain

To some extent "good" cabin location IS subjective. But mattters of whether the view is impaired or whether there is vibration in that part of the ship are not.

Why the need to know when formal night is to be? Some lines allow excrusions to be booked in advance. For some, a formal night on a given day might efffect their choice of activity for that day.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:07 PM
CruzCrazy

I think the only planning you need to make is:

pick the cruise line
choose the itinerary
choose the ship
carefully choose your cabin
plan your excursions
start packing early
then get yourself to the port

Take the rest as it comes.

I used to pre-plan...plan...and plan, but now I find the MORE YOU CRUISE THE LESS you make yourself crazy with trying to get it all right.

I look forward to just walking the gangplank and leave the stresses behind.

Don't make cruising a stressful event....remember it's a vacation and what better way than to CRUISE. It's the most relaxing vacation you can have, so why do you have to know everything.

Majesty 12/04
Millenium 1/05
Voyager 5/05
Jewel of Seas 12/05
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Admiral

CruzCrazy has the best RX for going on a cruise. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about the small details. Take your docs, plane tickets, proper I.D., some money and climb aboard. It's supposed to be a vacation so relax and the small things will be ok.
One can " detail " themselves into a bundle of nerves for no reason.
I pick my ship, date I want to sail, the route, cabin # and that's basicaly it. Throw in a few clothes, some money and haul anchor. If something comes up that needs some attention, I attend to it. I don't burden myself with duct tape, cords, electric cords, dryers, coolers, fans, clocks, lights,radios, cell phones, laptops, ( I'm on vacation to get away )
etc., etc., etc,. For a couple dozen cruises this approach has served me well.
As Cruz said, don't get stressed out before the cruise. So many little things just melt away in the warm Caribbean sun.

Happy sails to all.

Post Edited (11-16-04 20:12)
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:28 AM
pg

I don't get the menu question. They hardly ever change them, so why would you want to know so far in acvance, then the surprise is gone.
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM
First Mate

CruzCrazy definitely has it right. The most negative reviews seem to come from people that plan every detail trying to make it "perfect", and since nothing ever is perfect, they wind up disappointed over trivial issues.

Old November 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Kim Sta

Hi

I guess it boils down to different people wanting to know different things. What is not of importance to me - example what food are we going to be served - may be important to someone else (my partner who lives for meal times!) , and perhaps something I like to know example trip times - I may want to go on more than one on the same day and I can see if thats possible or whether times clash - will not matter to another person.

Some people worry over what I think are silly things (a carpet stain) and let it ruin there holiday whereas I would not give it a second look or thought.

Other peoples gripes either really amuse me, or really annoy me but at the end of the day, its a personal thing.

Life is just too damn short - so my motto is to enjoy everything I can, and try to find the humour in every situation (not always possible I know but I try!)
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

A few amusing (at least to me) observations:

1. Pizza Madness: I have seen numerous questions about the quality of the pizza on board. Amazingly some of them sounded like it was a major factor in their decision to sail on a particular ship.

2. Coke vs Pepsi Mania: ditto the above.

3. The Do My Work for Me Syndrome: Asking questions that could easily be answered within seconds by accessing the cruise lines web site. We know that these folks have a computer and at least a rudimentary knowledge on how to surf the web.

4. Alcohol Smuggling: I am continually amazed at the number of posts on this subject, sometimes one above another. Perhaps Cruisemates needs a "Alcohol Smuggling" message board so that the rest of us can ignore this. By the way, I once smuggled a goodly quantity of vodka into a college football game by strapping a large IV bag to my ankle and snaking the tube up my pantleg and out of my waistband. Try that one gang. (only problem it looked like I was taking a whiz into my soda)

5. Formal Night Phobia: All I can say is it feels good to look snazzy at least once in your life. You can come away with a portrait you can inflict on friends and family. Give the jeans and tee a rest for one night, they will be there a couple of hours later when you come back. Oh Yes!! Men- the reason you feel uncomfortable dressed up is that your collar is too small. Trust me on this.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Captain

Doug:

I'll agree that the items you mention are not really "gripes" but at least items 3, 4, and 5 are the subject of legitimate questions.

As to item #3, I've found the cruise line sites to be a bit long on advertising and a bit short on "hard information." More times than I can count, recent cruisers on a ship report (accurately) that the lines' site (or at least implications therein) were false.

As to item#4, some lines still actually ALLOW alcohol to be brought on board, and some include all or most of it. Even among the lines that "officially" ban alcohol smuggling, there are vast differences in degree of enforcement ---- all the way from a wink and a nod to NCL's reported X ray of checked luggage.

As to item #5, some itineraries on some lines have no formal nights at all. And, as far as actual practice is concerned, the term "formal" has a different meaning from line to line. For men, it varries from "just wear a coat and tie" to "you had really better wear a tux."

So, I think these questions are legit.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:56 PM
First Mate

ok...here is a question that was on another board that demonstrates my original point..that some people worry about too many things before they cruise:

"What kind of towels do they use on the ship? I'm very picky about what kind of towel I use. Should I bring own towel?"

Isn't that a bit anal??...

Also....I've taken 15 cruises over the years, and I only discovered the message boards just before my most recent cruise. For all those cruises, I was able to get away with not taking a power strip, nightlight, over the door toiletry bag, highlighter, post it notes, duct tape (although I do have a funny story about duct tape on one of my first cruises), etc., and I had just as great a time without them. As a matter of fact, the last cruise we went on I took a night light. My husband said to me, "we've taken 14 cruises without a night light and we've been fine. Why do we need one now?" "Because the people on the message boards said its a good idea!...thats why!".... Guess what?...never used it.....

PAST CRUISES
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM
duane

I have to know, why would you need duct tape/
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I find that one person's necessity is another persons ballast. I have found that a power strip/conditioner and toiletry bag are very convenient. I am one who brings a laptop and digital camera on a cruise, plus medical equipment. It is nice to have the additional outlet(s). Many people would think a laptop is ballast and for them it is.

I actually do not use duct tape, post it notes, highlighter, nightlight and a number of other suggested items that people have suggested as "must have". If one took everything that was suggested you would need another Pullman chest in order to accommodate it all. The key is for people to use some judgment and pack the items that sound right for them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Mike's right - it's all about the individual. Power strip was totally unnecessary for me, but post it notes - had to have 'em!

Cabin location can be about much more than convenience to elevators. Our last cabin was literally shaking with the music from the main show lounge. Didn't bother us because we were out doing all the night/late night stuff, but for someone who retired earlier than midnight, it would have been impossible to sleep.

I don't *need* to know all the details, but it's fun to hear about different experiences - just adds to the fun!

Basically, I'm not real picky. A cruise is a cruise and I LOVE cruising...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

These are all real concerns for people <g>

Personally when we cruise we always bring onboard

Our own clothes
Our own towels
Our own room furniture
Our own soap and shampoo
Our own soft drinks
Our own bedding
Our own food
Our own pool chairs
Our own alcohol
We fly in our own plane to the ship
We use our transport to get to ship from the airport
We have our own personal chef, waiter and room steward.
Our own tour director and personal guide for ports

Quiz,,,,,,pick two of the above that the line are not happy about (not fellow passengers)and why compared to the rest?
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: An observation

ok, Davy, here I go -

this is probably unethical, dishonest, against the rules bla bla but we always take our own travel iron on ships with us even though they say it is not allowed.

They say it is for safety reasons. I can think of a lot more dangerous things done by dangerous or maybe not so dangerous people that would be more of a cause for concern.

We are as careful with the travel iron on board as we are with an iron at home. We usually have our clothes dry cleaned etc at least once on board, but there is a bother factor with sending clothing out to be ironed for just a little wrinkle here and there.

Oh and to add to your list David, what about bringing your own portable generator with you just in case the power runs out or you feel the sudden urge to use power tools to build yourself a new cabinet while on board!!

banker
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Banker sorry F- for the quiz, I did not give travel irons as a choice, nor generators

As for your little wrinkle,,,keep that to yourself bud

Davy <g>
ps
What are the answers in case I regrade your paper
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM
jps

Duct tape? Post-It notes? What would you need either for?

However, in defence of the questions, I'm a newbie cruiser, and like Rebel, it is pure excitement for me to research, and I'll read anything, including menus, if someone posts them... I read the reviews too, but when someone complains that the next table wasn't dressed up enough, or the waiter didn't remember their name, I sure don't think of cancelling my cruise, same thing with the menus.... it is all just info, which I gather and sift and part of the fun for me.

My husband, hates reading stuff before any vacation, prefers to experience it as it happens... I've learned to stop making him listen to me natter on about the "plans" and he lets me be. Works great.
Old November 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I use duct tape to put over my dh's mouth so he doesn't put his foot in it so often - he uses the post-it notes to order his meals. The servers don't understand duct tape mumbles lol. I love the reasearch as well - anticipation is so wonderful!!! I read a cruise complaint forum last night. Someone complained because there was dust in the bathroom vent. But my all time favourite has to be - "we cruised for spring break so our kids could come with us - but there were so many kids it wasn't fun - give me my oney back!" The joys of the internet - :o) TTFN Jennifer