Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Iceman1941

Default Downgraded by Carnival

I would like to tell all to beware of Carnival when booking any type of Guarantee we have booked a year ago an 8A guarantee on the Miracle paid for it and now when our documents arrived they downgraded us to a 7A. Talked to them nothing they can do all they have done is refund the difference in price. Is that some way to do business or what be careful out there when dealing on any guarantee especially with Carnival.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Downgraded by Carnival

I think if you booked a guarantee 8A, Carnival should abide by it and try and avoid overbooking-computers can work wonders in that area.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Sorry Iceman, something wrong there. Did you have a contract / booking confirmation after paying (even a deposit) a year ago for a 8A cabin?

If you have something in writing and to be honest you must have something from the time of paying / booking..Then thats your contract and they must accept it.

On the other hand if you only expresed an interest in the cruise, but paid no money until nearer the time. Then sorry but no come back they have the right to allocate to people paid first
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I've never heard of this one! A guarantee is a guarantee. If you paid in full before the penalty date then you should be guaranteed your gaurantee. Or what good is a guarantee?

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Downgraded by Carnival

Well, the cruise lines draw upon a higher power to guide their actions, so if they choose to change the terms then who are we to question them.

.......like the B.Y.O. booze thing..........just abide by it, because according to some on this board, we should just agree to what they say, even though (like the booze thing) a lot of us disagree with it.

banker
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Also nevere heard of it ever being done. Once you book a certain cat GTY then you WILL get that cat or higher and never lower. Who did you book through? If it was through a TA then it is his/hger job to ensure that you get what they tell you you paid for. It simply is not done to downgrade anyone. There is something more to this than is being told by someone.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Jim. There has to be more to this than Carnival downgrading someone. Did you book directly with Carnival or through a travel agent? I'm betting you went through a travel agent. I'm not saying your agent did anything wrong but maybe there was a misunderstanding about what you were paying for and what you would probably get upgraded to and the upgrade didn't come through.

The last time I booked a guarantee cat. was years ago and we ended up directly under the galley. I learned my lesson and now I book early and pick the specific cabin I want.
It works well for me.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
SarahJ

We were downgraded once and we tried to fight it and got nowhere except for a $50 credit. It wasn't a big of a deal since we just ended up on a different deck with the same type of cabin.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Cruiselines DO NOT downgrade people. It just can't and isn't done, just not possible as they just upgrade someone else or you. If someone gets 'downgraded' I will bet money that the TA that screwed up somehow and those that know me also know I flat do not gamble.
Jim

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Jackie Nichols

Carnival has bumped people entirely off the ship when a cruise is overbooked, so it certainly seems possible that somebody could be downgraded to a 7A if the 8A's and above were overbooked. It's also possible that either the TA or Carnival made a mistake and it is simply too late to do anything about it.
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
DavyB

Well thats my opened, but as I said above and it was qualitified by others with the experience. I have neve ever heard of this scenario.

But again, the poster disappears and will not explain further.

Honestly, it does not happen...and for the sake of Carnival I hope not. But there are a lot of seasoned Carnival gripers on here. Come on guys is this for real or are they getting the blame for someone elses screw up?
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Jackie, Yes they sometimes end up with an overbooked ship. That really isn't that rare even though it is unusual. I do not know of anyone that has ever been 'involentarily' bumped off the ship. What happens is that they ask for someone to give up their passage volentarily with great compensation or offers and they keep doing it and keep increasing the offers for comp until someone agrees to take the alternative.
Jim

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Jean S

A number of years ago we were "bumped off" an NCL ship. We had booked a year in advance and had paid in full. Our TA called us and we were furious. This trip was for our anniversary and we were really looking forward to it. Well, after a number of phone calls we still were bumped but put on another ship going out of the same port on the same day. NCL upgraded us to a beautiful suite! It was great. We found out later from some ship employees that the ship we were "bumped off" had been almost entirely booked by a large corporation. We enjoyed our upgraded experience immensely.
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Downgraded by Carnival

so that would be like a bumpgrade??

banker

Old January 5th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Jackie Nichols

Hundreds of people were bumped involuntarily off of eight Carnival Miracle sailings out of Baltimore last September and October. It was a hot topic of discussion a few months back on another cruise-related board and many news articles about the bumpings can be found on the Internet, including this one:

http://www.thewgalchannel.com/money/3759198/detail.html

According to the messages posted on the other cruise board, the people chosen for "bumping" were usually always local Baltimore residents because that way airfare wasn't involved. In the article above, the group bumped was only offered discounts on future cruises or a refund, but according to messages on the other board, some people bumped were offered alternate sailings out of NYC the same week with cabin upgrades and room credits with those declining simply given a refund.
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral

"Other" boards posting it does not mean it really happened. We have had people try and place false reports here but we do what we can to check them out and report it truthfully. The ONLY time passengers would be bumped in mass is if the ship if not sailing, or if the ship ended up being 'chartered' by a group. This is allowed under your 'contract' with the cruiseline. Even so, they then notify you as soon as possible, (or at least they notify your TA, it is up to your TA to notify you in a timely fashion), and then they often provide you with an outstanding upgrage or benefit for your troubles.
Jim

Old January 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
DavyB

Agreed Jim and sorry mate but you just had an "outstanding UPRAGE" above,,,Well thats how I would feel it happened to me<g> I'll read that as upgrade.

Jean's post summed up what to expect if it did happen to you. And even if it did then that has got to be very exceptional to the norm and you will be very well compensated for it.

Yet again no sign of the protagonist that kicked this all off. Put it this way, if I was as upset as Iceman makes out, then I would be hanging on every post to my thread for advice and guidance from people that know and questioning more,,,,,not happened has it,,,, what does that tell you?
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

I think so too David, if there was such a mass bump, then the implications of that with respect to public opinion in a competitive industry would be huge. If it did happen, they would sweeten the situation with some heavy duty compensation.

by the way, did you get the invitation to my club?? -

banker

Old January 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Jackie Nichols

That is not always true as evidenced by what happened on eight separate sailings of the Carnival Miracle out of Baltimore last September and October. Hundreds of passengers were involuntarily bumped because the cruiseline had oversold the ship due to less passengers canceling them anticipated. The "Other" board is not the only source for this information (direct quotes and links to SEVERAL reputable news articles detailing the bumpings that occured on the Miracle are listed below).

While involuntarily bumping a passenger is extremely rare, it obviously does happen and compensation isn't always so great. Many of the passengers interviewed in the articles listed below were offered nothing more than a substitute sailing or a full refund. Hardly adequate compensation considering many of these people booked and planned their vacation a full year in advance!

NEWS ARTICLES QUOTES AND LINKS

Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Oct1.html

"They had great numbers out of their cruises from Baltimore this year." In fact, Carnival's Miracle was so popular, hundreds of passengers were involuntarily bumped after its cruises were overbooked and fewer people canceled than expected."

WBAL-TV Channel 11 News (NBC Affiliate covering Baltimore, Maryland area)
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/11inve...05/detail.html

"The cruise vacations for some Marylanders sank as the date neared. Hundreds of local passengers were bumped from the Carnival cruise ship Miracle -- and now they want answers, WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter Mindy Basara reported."

WGAL-TV Channel 8 News (NBC Affiliate covering Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area)
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/money/3759198/detail.html

"Cruise passengers in the Mid-Atlantic states are finding themselves left standing at the dock by one popular cruise line.

Hundreds of passengers who booked cabins for a cruise leaving out of Maryland are being left behind, including one large local group."
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Admiral

I don't have facts but just my memory--- and that is that there were a lot of folks left standing on the dock not because they were " bumped " --- but that the cruise line never had recieved their payment from the " travel agency " that had " booked " the cruise for the group or something along those lines. I can't say with 100 % certainty that this is the group but sounds mighty familiar.

So, maybe Carnival " bumps " people. Maybe every now and then they just get a mean streak. All the bumpees out there--- rise--- take back your cabins--- lie down around the dock so fresh fruit and beer can't be delivered to the ship---Rise I say--- don't be a bumpee without doing something about it--- Rise---
Oh heck--- just got carried away. Sorry Jim-- don't delete me.
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The incident on Miracle in Baltimore with people left at the docks was true, and not related to late payments etc.

It made all the news stations at the time. Not quite sure how Carnival let it happen, but with the media coverage they received, they are not likely to let it happen again.... you'd think.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Iceman1941

$250.00 deposit paid at time of booking, 800.00 four months later and full payment in October. When documents came it is a 7a cabin not 8A as paid and receipted for.
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Iceman1941

I have it in writing 8A
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

IF you have it in writing that you paid for an 8A id fight to get atleast that. Id demand to talk to the head person on duty and tell them that you have proof and that you can fax a copy to them. Tell them that if they don't comply you will see them in court.
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but that was contract with someone, Take it all the way. Kick their butts as they are playing with you and someone is trying to get away with it.

Is your documentation from the TA (their headed paper) quoting this deck or is it an extract from Carnivals booking system (headed) also quoting this deck coming to you via the TA.

Serious question re your recourse, If Carnival paperwork said you had the cabin, then they are responsible. If cabin numbers etc are only quoted on the TA's paperwork then they have the problem and they are your target.

Which one....Who on the paper work quotes the cabin and deck you expected for your money,,,,,its a simple question but a big one

Nice to see you back Iceman, now let us help

Post Edited (01-07-05 16:05)
Old January 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

David has a point, if you have documentation, then there is recourse.

Personally, the only place I have seen a TA prints those details is on their invoice. Other than that, all other documentation has been from the cruise line.

Iceman, you mentioned when the docs came, they said 7A. I assume, then that these were Carnival's ticket documents. If so, it is clear to David's point that you should seek recompense from them.

They may have just done this and made a decision to ride out the bad publicity. But, if you believe you are right, which I believe you are given the proof you have, then even though they have made a decision not to compensate people for this, then there comes a point through the escalation process from corporate to legal when it is "cheaper" to make you "go away" than to fight you.

Please let us know what happens!

banker

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Admiral

My question is: Did your TA book you on in an 8A? I would make sure they booked what you asked before I started calling Carnival to task. However, if they did indeed book you in an 8A (and have written documentation of that) and Carnival put you in a 7A, then I would raise heck!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Iceman, was kind enough to email me direct and his group are away today on this cruise.

It appears complicated as it was a group booking, and you know the scenario. If you book X cabins you get "this and that". But reading it, I still felt it came down to the TA's service.

Anyway Iceman, you and your group have a good one.

When you get back it may be worth posting what you sent me, as it could help others arranging group bookings and what to watch out for

David
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Elliepags

Iceman--

How were the 7A balconies. I know they are obstructed. Would you have preferred the obstructed balcony to an oceanview with no balcony and no obstruction? Many thanks. Ellie